How Long Will It Take For You To Process CA?

presto123

It usually doesn't take me long at all. Maybe just a couple of spins and I usually know where a record will fall in my overall fav Rush records. I don't know if it's because I'm a musician and can make sense of the complexities right off the bat or not but there has only been one record that I didn't like that well at first and then I liked more later.(Test For Echo) Usually I can tell from the get go where a record will end up falling for me. I was slightly disappointed with SnA from the first listen and it remains toward the bottom of the Rush catalog for me to this day. I was super excited on my Power Windows first spin and it remains a top 5 for me to this day. How about you? Edited by presto123

Good question. For me, it varies. A few things, like VT, took years to really take hold. For others, like Presto, it was love at first listen. SNA took me a few months to really get into, Counterparts was very fast. T4E... I still don't like. Didn't care for it at first, and it never really grew on me very much (there are a few standout tracks, but overall, I don't dig it too much).

I have a feeling I'll like CA quite a lot upon first listen and it'll stay that way. The first three songs have been excellent.

It depends on the food I'm eating, and the shirt and shoes I'm wearing.

Seriously, though, I really think it will be pretty immediate. I loved all three of the songs that have been released, and continue to after tens of listens. That doesn't mean I won't pick up on nuances after repeated listens, but generally my first impression is difficult to overcome.

That being said, there have been songs I have grown to like after repeated listens. What I don't think will happen is that I'll fall out of love with anything I love at first listen.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 28 2012, 09:10 PM)
Good question. For me, it varies. A few things, like VT, took years to really take hold. For others, like Presto, it was love at first listen. SNA took me a few months to really get into, Counterparts was very fast. T4E... I still don't like. Didn't care for it at first, and it never really grew on me very much (there are a few standout tracks, but overall, I don't dig it too much).

I have a feeling I'll like CA quite a lot upon first listen and it'll stay that way. The first three songs have been excellent.

goodpost.gif

I'm tempted to say I'll know right away or very soon, like in a week, but my own experience tells me different.

When S&A came out I LOVED it. I ranked it #4 among Rush albums. Somewhere between 6 months to a year later it was at #14, and it's stayed there ever since.

Sometimes it's easy to be enamored by new music, especially by new Rush since we get it so infrequently, but I really think it takes a significant amount of time for it to really sink in. Things that I overlooked or forgave initially started to bother me over time - I couldn't be realistic about it until I really fully digested it.

I'll give it a preliminary ranking soon after it comes out, but always with the corollary that it could change until I've really fully processed it.

Decades.

I'm still processing hemispheres!

I'm kind of a slow listener. I like to take my time with an album, and I'm always very cautious on my first listens. I tend to think first impressions are highly exaggerated (whether the reaction is overly positive or overly negative).

But I also think, sometimes you just know whether you are going to like something or not. You have that vicseral reaction. I didn't care much for Snakes & Arrows, and even with more time it never grew on me. In fact, I think I've come to dislike it as more time has passed.

So you never know. I think Rush is far enough in their career that you will be able to tell fairly quickly if you think you are going to like the overall sound of the album or not. Although it will be interesting, because based on all the early reviews, the album sounds nothing like the 3 singles we've heard. Or rather, the album is more diverse musically then just being hard rock. So I'm intrigued to hear what it really sounds like.

My biggest fear is that the album on a whole, isn't very cohesive musically. Well, I guess I shouldn't say fear. More so, that's what I don't want it to be.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

Not sure. I'll have to listen to it a few times. Not a problem, I'm thinking...

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ May 29 2012, 01:40 AM)
I'm kind of a slow listener. I like to take my time with an album, and I'm always very cautious on my first listens. I tend to think first impressions are highly exaggerated (whether the reaction is overly positive or overly negative).

But I also think, sometimes you just know whether you are going to like something or not. You have that vicseral reaction. I didn't care much for Snakes & Arrows, and even with more time it never grew on me. In fact, I think I've come to dislike it as more time has passed.

So you never know. I think Rush is far enough in their career that you will be able to tell fairly quickly if you think you are going to like the overall sound of the album or not. Although it will be interesting, because based on all the early reviews, the album sounds nothing like the 3 singles we've heard. Or rather, the album is more diverse musically then just being hard rock. So I'm intrigued to hear what it really sounds like.

My biggest fear is that the album on a whole, isn't very cohesive musically. Well, I guess I shouldn't say fear. More so, that's what I don't want it to be.

That was one of my gripes about SnA. Stylistically that record is all over the place and not cohesive at all. That being said I really don't want EVERY song on CA to be a metal song. I want a little diversity but I don't really want Irish folk songs either. tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ May 29 2012, 03:37 AM)
it'll probably take a few weeks of listening to process whether it will be a keeper or a coaster. biggrin.gif

None of mine have ever been used as coasters.

Or frisbees, come to that.

It's night and day between the older and modern stuff. I loved 2112 thru MP on first listen and it never changed. Almost everything after that took a while to get into, or I never got into it at all as is the case with the 2000s albums.

Some stuff like Presto I hated at first with its soft rock vibe, and still dont love it, but I did grow to like it more than I did at first.

Well I'll know within the first 5 listens. Now that said, the hard part is reshuffling the rest of the catalog to make room for CA. Where in their 20 disc catalog where CA Fit. I know right now it wont be 18th, 19th or 20th. Those spots are held by:

Caress of Steel

Vapor Trail

Feedback.

and not in that order! I have a strong feeling it will be in the top 10 if not the top five 5 based on the first 3 releases!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

It depends on how you define " process ". I'll know from the first and second listens whether or not I like the material. However it's only after repeated listens that I start to process all of the little nuances in each of their parts. That's one of the things I enjoy most about new material from Rush...the opportunity to listen closely to discover incredible musical moments.

Some albums for me take a really long time to digest, but end up going on to become some of my favorite albums.

I can only hope CA is like that, maybe not a complete love on first listen, but after like 10-20 maybe Ill be listening to it everyday for months.

That happened to me with Secret Samadhi from Live. I thought that album was such a downer when I first heard it, but I really kept at it and grew to love it in a deep way, to the point where I listened to it everyday for like 3 straight months. It had a very mystical/spiritual quality about it that I didnt hear the first few times I listened to it. Then I started hearing the genius of the lyrics on that album more and suddenly it all started to click.

Hope this happens to me with CA. Thats something I felt was completely absent from S&A. To me it was just a collection of average songs, nothing really deeper to discover there.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 29 2012, 08:16 AM)
Some albums for me take a really long time to digest, but end up going on to become some of my favorite albums.

I can only hope CA is like that, maybe not a complete love on first listen, but after like 10-20 maybe Ill be listening to it everyday for months.

That happened to me with Secret Samadhi from Live. I thought that album was such a downer when I first heard it, but I really kept at it and grew to love it in a deep way, to the point where I listened to it everyday for like 3 straight months. It had a very mystical/spiritual quality about it that I didnt hear the first few times I listened to it. Then I started hearing the genius of the lyrics on that album more and suddenly it all started to click.

Hope this happens to me with CA. Thats something I felt was completely absent from S&A. To me it was just a collection of average songs, nothing really deeper to discover there.

schla03.gif

A couple of years. With any new release, there is always the excitement of the album and the optometrist (optomist - for those not familiar with Trailer Park Boys) part of my brain tells me, "This is some really good shit. Best album in years." The pessimist part of my brain tells me, "You are all hyped up now. It's gonna be a clunker that you won't want to listen to a few years from now."

Plus hearing it live aids to the excitement and adds to the albums personal 'rating'.

If the album is REALLY good, you can tell right away. For me, this was 2112, AFTK, ATWAS, ESL, Hempisphers, MP, and PeW. All of those were love at first listens and I knew that I would be listening to these albums on a regular basis the rest of my life.

Lastly, I have to admit, listening to the album cool10.gif will probably make it easier to process and judge. I guess dumbing down the rest of your brain makes it easier to focus clearly on the music.

QUOTE (canadianice @ May 29 2012, 06:21 AM)

schla03.gif

you use that icon so often with posts you don't agree with that I think your member title should be "Sleepyhead" tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 29 2012, 09:00 AM)

schla03.gif

you use that icon so often with posts you don't agree with that I think your member title should be "Sleepyhead" tongue.gif

I sure do, when posts like that put me to sleep smile.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ May 29 2012, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 29 2012, 09:00 AM)

schla03.gif

I sure do, when posts like that put me to sleep smile.gif

It can't possibly be more boring than watching hockey so get off my back! moon.gif