Everyday Glory

rugen

I just realize, or maybe i forgot over the years, how the song "Everyday Glory" got almost the same guitar parts as those of Edge of U2. It would be a excellent song for U2, a good or average one for Rush. Check the complete song except the refrain, and you'll see.

QUOTE (RUDT @ May 28 2012, 04:02 PM)
I just realize, or maybe i forgot over the years, how the song "Everyday Glory" got almost the same guitar parts as those of Edge of U2. It would be a excellent song for U2, a good or average one for Rush. Check the complete song except the refrain, and you'll see.

I love Everyday Glory. In my top 5 favorite Rush songs. Definitely better than average. I have never imagined it as a U2 song. Personally, I don't think U2 could do the song justice.

QUOTE (johndyar @ May 28 2012, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ May 28 2012, 04:02 PM)

I love Everyday Glory. In my top 5 favorite Rush songs. Definitely better than average. I have never imagined it as a U2 song. Personally, I don't think U2 could do the song justice.

goodpost.gif

I love this tune and it's message. U2 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (RUDT @ May 28 2012, 03:02 PM)

Sure, and bozo, i mean bono could wear Geddy's glasses fing.gif

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 28 2012, 05:22 PM)
Did you just compare a greatRush song to U2???

No, I think he explicitly mentioned that he was talking about Everyday Glory. tongue.gif

Edited by laughedatbytime

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 28 2012, 06:22 PM)
Did you just compare a great Rush song to U2???

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

http://i.imgur.com/tdO8G.jpg

Glad you think, it's a great song, i think it's a very good song, sad (subject of child abuse), but emotional. If you know well the guitar work of Edge in U2, you will hear the similarity, don't pay your attention on the lyrics, just the guitar playing. I said that it could be a great U2's song, but a good Rush's song, so you can see which band i prefer.

QUOTE (RUDT @ May 28 2012, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 28 2012, 06:22 PM)
Did you just compare a great Rush song to U2???

062802puke_prv.gif  062802puke_prv.gif  062802puke_prv.gif

http://i.imgur.com/tdO8G.jpg

Glad you think, it's a great song, i think it's a very good song, sad (subject of child abuse), but emotional. If you know well the guitar work of Edge in U2, you will hear the similarity, don't pay your attention on the lyrics, just the guitar playing. I said that it could be a great U2's song, but a good Rush's song, so you can see which band i prefer.

See, I just can't stand U2. One of the first bands that really really annoyed me. Second only to Nickelback

It's VERY U2-inspired...I noticed that when I first listened to it back in 1997!! Thanks for noticing that. I don't hate U2, but don't love them either. I lost track of what they were doing a long time ago, but really liked All that You Can' Leave Behind.

The inspiration behind the song from Neil Peart :

Neil Peart says partial inspiration for "Everyday Glory" came from "an opera piece I've always loved, by Puccini, called Nessun dorma, which an Italian girl told me translates as 'nobody sleeps,' and I thought, ah, what a beautiful phrase." - Neil Peart, Winnipeg Free Press, October 21, 1993

As a huge fan of both bands, I can safely say that Everyday Glory sounds nothing like U2, unless you are someone who thinks that any time a guitarist plays with any delay, they are trying to sound like U2. Plus, the bass playing and drumming sound NOTHING like U2. I wonder how much those of you saying it sounds like U2 have actually listened to U2 (aside from the hits).

QUOTE (The K Man @ May 29 2012, 09:42 PM)
As a huge fan of both bands, I can safely say that Everyday Glory sounds nothing like U2, unless you are someone who thinks that any time a guitarist plays with any delay, they are trying to sound like U2. Plus, the bass playing and drumming sound NOTHING like U2.  I wonder how much those of you saying it sounds like U2 have actually listened to U2 (aside from the hits).

goodpost.gif

It's sounds nothing like U2. At least to my ears. You can always find a certain sound from a band that might sound like another. That's part of the business in a lot of cases. In this case, no way in hell!! biggrin.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 31 2012, 06:03 AM)
I really dig this song. The fact that its such a good closer is testament to how solid an album CP really is. Best Rush album since the golden era IMHO. Hopefully CA surpasses it!

CP has 2-3 weak songs... using the best 2-3 of RTB (which rest is weak imho), 4 years after Presto, this album would have been a masterpiece.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ May 28 2012, 04:35 PM)
eg doesn't sound like rush to me. incredibly boring and a filler.

You're being too nice. This song would be terrible if it were a filler track on the worst U2 album.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 31 2012, 09:50 AM)
Not sure about that one, but Half The World would make a great R.E.M. tune!

I've been saying that for years on this forum! It IS a R.E.M. song!