PREDICTION: two songs never played

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they play Different Strings i'm going to lose it tongue.gif applaudit.gif

Also, I hope they play Different Strings and Heresy. Those are my picks at least. I guess Lessons can sub for Heresy too.

Edited by Strangiato

Because of Signals 30th anniversary I guess Losing It would be possible. The only song they have yet to plat off PW is Different Strings so I could see that getting played as well. I would love to hear either Open Secrets, Cut To The Chase and Vapor Trail.

QUOTE (Snow-Dog2112 @ May 22 2012, 06:19 AM)
mark my words, i predict that the couple of songs that Al talked about are gonna be....Losing it....and Different Strings

I hope they stick to CA and they RUSH classics we all know and love.

Not album fillers.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ May 22 2012, 08:20 AM)
Because of Signals 30th anniversary I guess Losing It would be possible. The only song they have yet to plat off PW is Different Strings so I could see that getting played as well. I would love to hear either Open Secrets, Cut To The Chase and Vapor Trail.

Good point... +1

mark my words, i predict that the couple of songs that Al talked about are gonna be....Losing it....and Different Strings

I've always included both songs on my set lists. If they tour with a string section, it will happen. Different Strings would sound awesome coming off Alex's solo in the 2nd Set. Another somng you can throw into the mix is TEARS!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 22 2012, 10:53 AM)

What...you mean, the same songs we've heard over and over again countless times every single tour?

Yeah sure...why not. It's not like they have a vast catelog to choose from... sarcasm.gif

Not album fillers.

Those two songs are far....I mean far from album fillers.

Sheesh I hate that term.

Excellent production songs from both albums. Rush before Grace Under Pressure and the advant of samples and midi, always had a production number from 2112-Signals which usually would never be played live due to equipment short comings and the fact they always remained true to their ideal as band. Which was to remain as a three piece with no behind the curtain players.

Tears - very cool song

Madrigal - piece of crap

Circumstances - awesome

Different Strings - awesome

Witch Hunt - awesome

Losing It - awesome

If Different Strings or Losing It were played most of the long time hard core fans would be doing cart wheels. They always pull out a deep one or two for us.

I doubt we get either.....but those two songs are so far from filler. They are brilliant compositions.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ May 22 2012, 12:08 PM)

Not album fillers.

Those two songs are far....I mean far from album fillers.

Sheesh I hate that term.

Excellent production songs from both albums. Rush before Grace Under Pressure and the advant of samples and midi, always had a production number from 2112-Signals which usually would never be played live due to equipment short comings and the fact they always remained true to their ideal as band. Which was to remain as a three piece with no behind the curtain players.

Tears - very cool song

Madrigal - piece of crap

Circumstances - awesome

Different Strings - awesome

Witch Hunt - awesome

Losing It - awesome

If Different Strings or Losing It were played most of the long time hard core fans would be doing cart wheels. They always pull out a deep one or two for us.

I doubt we get either.....but those two songs are so far from filler. They are brilliant compositions.

I completely agree, just to hear Different Strings in it's entirety would be such a treat! That songs has one of Alex's best solos and the fact that they faded it out on the recording at the point he was just getting into it or taking off, if you will is such a shame. It would really be awesome to hear that one finally completed Live!

Thinking about it, there are so many songs that would sound great Live that were not fillers (I truly hate that term as well). I think Unessentials would be a better term!

I think I'll start using that!

yes.gif

QUOTE (Todem @ May 22 2012, 11:08 AM)
[if Different Strings or Losing It were played most of the long time hard core fans would be doing cart wheels.

Absolutely not. While I personally like the song, it isn't a "omg, I'm going to do a cartwheel" like song. It's more of a "ahhh, very nice" kinda song.

My suspicion is that if they play a song they haven't played live before, it will be a high energy song so that even those that aren't hard core fans can appreciate it.

More than anticipating the new album, the thing I'm looking forward to most this year is the confirmation that they're not touring with a goddamn orchestra or string quartet. That day will be one of the best days of 2012 because all these posts about the stupid fking orchestra will stop.

Hey, here's a thought: THEY DIDN'T SELL TICKETS WITH AN ORCHESTRA PIT SETUP. It's the same size stage they've always used, and THERE ISN'T ROOM ON IT FOR AN ORCHESTRA. There not not even room on it for a bloody string quartet unless they remove some props, and the latest interview with Alex talks about how much they're ramping up the stage show!

IT'S NOT HAPPENING.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 22 2012, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ May 22 2012, 12:13 PM)
there's always a possibility, and they could always move geddy's rotisserie chickens back a little to make room for a quartet to get the job done.  unsure.gif

I'm not holding my breath wink.gif

You and Rushgoober should start dating!

hug2.gif

With all this talk of 'never-played-live' songs, I'm leaning toward glimpsing at the setlist once it's out. (which I try not to) I go to RUSH to hear the great RUSH tunes (and there are at least two full concerts worth IMO). They tossed out Presto last time around, and 1 from S&A, but that was plenty.

I saw every tour from Signals - RTB and they always played the good rockin' songs off the new album and left the rest-- the fillers. If a song was worth playing live, it has been played live. That's just my opinion and I don't mean to step on anybody's toes or crap on anybody's favorite 'gem'.

But when I read all this speculation, I start thinking, well then you lose The Trees or Closer to the Heart or Freewill. All songs that have been LEFT OFF set lists. I can accept that there is only time for 1 or 2 of the 'Epics' (La Villa, Xanadu, 2112, By-Tor) but when a 5 minute song slot given to a 'never-played-live', this robs us of 5 minutes of RUSH -- that RUSH you feel at the climax of the Trees solo, or when Geddy hits the Freewill high notes, or any of a dozen 'classics' that didn't make the cut one tour or another.

The only two songs we know for sure are TS and TSOR. Limelight may have been bumped up into that absolute must category due to its rise in popularity outside of RUSH circles. But the rest is up for grabs.

**And keep in mind, those videos seem to get longer every tour. The three hour show is really only 2 and a quarter of music--it seems. Are we really sure we want 'gem' over say YYZ?

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 22 2012, 05:08 PM)
Are we really sure we want 'gem' over say YYZ?

Um...yeah.

Depending on the 'gem' selected...hell yes.

Just because some songs are awesome, doesn't mean I wouldn't mind seeing them shelved for others that I haven't yet seen. I'm a huge fan of all their work, and I don't consider anything 'filler'.

I love variation in the setlists...and I'm hoping for much change this time around.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 22 2012, 03:08 PM)

Yes. In a heartbeat, yes. If none of the "hits" ever got retired, it would be the same setlist time after time after time. As it is, the setlist is 70% the same every tour, and then they throw in a few from the latest album and one or two "gems". IMO, it should be more like 35% the same from tour to tour with 4-5 tracks from the latest album and a much larger dose of songs that haven't been played regularly.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 22 2012, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 22 2012, 03:08 PM)

Yes. In a heartbeat, yes. If none of the "hits" ever got retired, it would be the same setlist time after time after time. As it is, the setlist is 70% the same every tour, and then they throw in a few from the latest album and one or two "gems". IMO, it should be more like 35% the same from tour to tour with 4-5 tracks from the latest album and a much larger dose of songs that haven't been played regularly.

absolutely dead on.