The orchestra thing

Karena

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 10 2012, 08:29 PM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 9 2012, 01:34 PM)
I really doubt they will but I've warmed to the idea over the past few months (read: I used to loathe the idea; now I'm indifferent to  it) popcorn.gif

At least you're open minded. Most people cringed when they announced they had recorded with a string section. Now look how good this album came out. It would be no different Live! Probably Better. Besides they might play songs they haven't ever or haven't played in a long time!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I wonder if people would have cringed at the thought of them recording with a boys' choir for Marathon, had the internet existed back then too.

And look how that turned out wink.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 10 2012, 09:29 PM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 9 2012, 01:34 PM)
I really doubt they will but I've warmed to the idea over the past few months (read: I used to loathe the idea; now I'm indifferent to  it) popcorn.gif

At least you're open minded. Most people cringed when they announced they had recorded with a string section. Now look how good this album came out. It would be no different Live! Probably Better. Besides they might play songs they haven't ever or haven't played in a long time!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Why is September so far awayyy?! b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (kentpilot @ Jun 13 2012, 02:00 AM)
Some people need to understand Rush recorded no songs with an Orchestra

They've only used a String Quartet

THIS IS AN ORCHESTRA
http://salemchamberorchestra.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/feature_orchestra.jpg

This is a string quartet
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/fromthetop/media/204/204-the-ridere-string-quartet.jpg

An orchestra Rush show would probably be one special event not an entire tour.

I heard it was an orchestra...

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 13 2012, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (kentpilot @ Jun 13 2012, 02:00 AM)
Some people need to understand Rush recorded no songs with an Orchestra

They've only used a String Quartet

THIS IS AN ORCHESTRA
http://salemchamberorchestra.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/feature_orchestra.jpg

This is a string quartet
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/fromthetop/media/204/204-the-ridere-string-quartet.jpg

An orchestra Rush show would probably be one special event not an entire tour.

I heard it was an orchestra...

They've never used an orchestra, read the liner notes.

QUOTE (GuitarPlyr01 @ Jun 14 2012, 08:00 PM)
Well apparently he let the cat out of the bag accidentally during the Jim Ladd interview last night.

I think they're taking an awful big risk

Why would it be a big secret? Either announce it or don't. It's not nice to **** with the fans who are shelling out big bucks for tickets. While many fans defend whatever they want to do, it seems plenty have strong feelings against this. So just let us know, because there is nothing about it on the radio ad I've been hearing.

QUOTE (Karena @ Jun 15 2012, 12:51 PM)
Well apparently he let the cat out of the bag accidentally during the Jim Ladd interview last night.

Why would it be a big secret? Either announce it or don't. It's not nice to **** with the fans who are shelling out big bucks for tickets. While many fans defend whatever they want to do, it seems plenty have strong feelings against this. So just let us know, because there is nothing about it on the radio ad I've been hearing.

Has it occurred to you that they aren't sure yet? I'd imagine they are only looking into logistics at this point, they're not even rehearsing yet.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 15 2012, 11:52 AM)

Has it occurred to you that they aren't sure yet? I'd imagine they are only looking into logistics at this point, they're not even rehearsing yet.

They haven't rejected the idea and that's enough. They may know. I didn't hear the interview but the tour is 2.5 months away, they should have an idea. From other sources I know this isn't popular, and it deserves a petition.

QUOTE (Karena @ Jun 15 2012, 01:02 PM)

They haven't rejected the idea and that's enough. They may know. I didn't hear the interview but the tour is 2.5 months away, they should have an idea. From other sources I know this isn't popular, and it deserves a petition.

It's Rush, not Bon Jovi. I trust the guys to do it "right" if they decide to.

I cannot see them having an orchestra for the entire show. Instead I see them bringing that in where required on the new album and possibly a select handful of really applicable songs from the past.

I'll be very excited if they decide to go this route.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 15 2012, 10:08 AM)

I cannot see them having an orchestra for the entire show. Instead I see them bringing that in where required on the new album and possibly a select handful of really applicable songs from the past.

It would give them the chance to play a lot of CA which they want to do, but also play the songs from the past that have strings such as Tears, etc.

Someone mentioned that instead of having an orchestra actually travel with them (pretty costly I would think) that they have a video of the orchestra playing the songs with them on a screen behind them. I like that idea. That still keeps Rush as a threesome, which a lot of people were concerned about the dynamic changing if an orchestra was added.

As much as I love the strings on this album and others, I'm honestly not hoping they'll have string section with them live. I guess I'd rather see them rock out, and trigger the strings like they did with the Power Windows songs and the HYF songs. I want to see Rush and only Rush on the stage.

Jesus Christ, you guys whine so f***ing much.

Get over it. They'll do what they want to do, and they'll do it right. I'm so glad I don't live by some pre-concieved notion of what Rush "MUST DO" in order to f***ing enjoy them.

It's quite possible that with all the strings on this cd that logistically it may be better for the 3 of them as performers to have a live string section. Maybe triggering all of that would be to suffocating or to difficult timing wise. I think that's probably what they are considering now. Do I have to continually stand in this spot to keep triggering this and that? Is it feasible to try to trigger that section while I'm singing this part or trying to play that riff?

Some of you really sound pathetic. Step back and think about what you're saying. You would GIVE UP YOUR SEATS if they bring a string quartet for a few relevant songs? Are you out of your mind?

And you call yourselves Rush fans?

(Some of you know that I NEVER call people out like this, especially on forums. But this is just too far. I can't believe what I read in this topic.)

Edited by Deckiller

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 15 2012, 11:09 PM)
Some of you really sound pathetic. Step back and think about what you're saying. You would GIVE UP YOUR SEATS if they bring a string quartet for a few relevant songs? Are you out of your mind?

(Some of you know that I NEVER call people out like this, especially on forums. But this is just too far. I can't believe what I read in this topic.)

Just call it as it is. Pathetic ignorance. Rush fans call themselves open minded, but I see narrow minded views all over this place.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 15 2012, 11:14 PM)

Just call it as it is. Pathetic ignorance. Rush fans call themselves open minded, but I see narrow minded views all over this place.

Seems that way, yeah.

I mean, I can understand people having an issue if they bring an entire orchestra for the entire show. But we're talking about a small group of strings to play the string parts of the CA songs and maybe a few oldies. What's the harm in that? You'll still get 2 hours of the band "kicking ass as a trio".

Just go take a piss break or buy some expensive beer during those songs. I'll keep your VIP seats warm.

Edited by Deckiller

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 22 2012, 12:33 AM)
Rush should tour with a jazz band and do all their songs in a big band style, with an encore of new tracks from their forthcoming album, Feedback II: A Tribute To Count Basie.

Nope. Neil can't play jazz.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 15 2012, 09:08 AM)

goodpost.gif

There is no way in hell it's during the entire concert. But I love the idea of a few tunes! 653.gif trink38.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 15 2012, 10:09 PM)
You would GIVE UP YOUR SEATS if they bring a string quartet for a few relevant songs?

Who said THAT?

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 15 2012, 11:14 PM)

What is more open minded than using free will? wink.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 16 2012, 02:29 AM)
QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 15 2012, 10:09 PM)
You would GIVE UP YOUR SEATS if they bring a string quartet for a few relevant songs?

Who said THAT?

In response to your replies in this thread and the other one:

I didn't construct strawmen. I merely replied to some of the postings (admittedly in a very harsh manner for me).

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 21 2012, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE (Karena @ May 21 2012, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 21 2012, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ May 21 2012, 05:53 PM)
Please God, please let Lawrence Welk be the orchestra leader.

Look we know that at least 4 songs have strings on them, 2 of them being completely string intros. The question is how many musicians were at the recording? I really think its just may be a string quartet at the Concert. They really wouldn't need anything else if they decide to go through with it and perform the entire album live.

confused13.gif

Then that's seven people performing on stage, four of whom are not in Rush. We should be informed ahead of time if that will be the case.

Why? David Gilmour performed with a small orchestra last tour, he didn't make a major announcement! Why do you need an announcement?

confused13.gif

You'll know after the first show!

yes.gif

I'm not interested in that so if I knew in advance I could transfer my tickets to someone who might better appreciate an evening with Rush and String Quartet.

I would also hate to show up and be underdressed.

If Rush did the string thing I would gladly sell off my 2nd and 3rd row (Buffalo and Pittsburgh) seats and go see 2 additional Iron Maiden shows.

Perhaps they were just kidding around, perhaps not. Some of us may have overreacted, but it is what it is - I'm just surprised that there is so much backlash against this idea.

No hard feelings.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 15 2012, 08:04 PM)
As much as I love the strings on this album and others, I'm honestly not hoping they'll have string section with them live. I guess I'd rather see them rock out, and trigger the strings like they did with the Power Windows songs and the HYF songs. I want to see Rush and only Rush on the stage.

I guess you aren't going to get your wish there are you?

Too bad, so sad!

fists crying.gif