Test for Echo!

Steely Caress

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TFE makes a really strong case for validating the value of the digital mixtape. Now I can create a "Listeners Cut" of the album without the songs that I consider 'stinkers' and I like it every time. Who knew? Now I'm a TFE fan.

I've always liked TFE, song-wise, for the most part. I have to ignore the lyrics to Virtuality like most everyone else though. smile.gif

Probably my two favorite songs off it are Color of Right and Carve Away the Stone. Two songs I often see referenced to as duffers by other fans, hehe. The title track sometimes drags a little bit, but I will always love the classic Alex arpeggiated guitar in the choruses.

Probably my biggest complaint about the album is that it sounds a bit sludgy overall, and the remaster doesn't really improve things to my ears. In fact, I prefer the original master.

TFE is certainly WAY better than people give it credit for here.

I like every song, and Virtuality kicks major ass (despite what people love to say about the lyrics).

Time & Motion is still my favourite from the album, but Virtuality, Driven, Resist, Limbo, and the title track are all outstanding songs as well IMO.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 24 2012, 11:06 AM)

I like every song, and Virtuality kicks major ass (despite what people love to say about the lyrics).

Time & Motion is still my favourite from the album, but Virtuality, Driven, Resist, Limbo, and the title track are all outstanding songs as well IMO.

cool10.gif

Sorry.... I just couldn't resist after seeing people do that time after time when VT is mentioned. tongue.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 24 2012, 03:15 PM)

cool10.gif

Sorry.... I just couldn't resist after seeing people do that time after time when VT is mentioned. tongue.gif

True, but with VT...it's kind of valid.

cool10.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 24 2012, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 24 2012, 03:15 PM)

cool10.gif

True, but with VT...it's kind of valid.

cool10.gif

cool10.gif trink38.gif fing.gif tongue.gif ph34r.gif

I think this album gets the most mileage with me as a drum-along album. It's so jazzy, it's so much fun to learn and play.

But I also very much like Totem lyrically.

Driven, Half the World, Time and Motion, Totem, Resist and Limbo are all really good songs in my book.

Dog Years and Virtuality are good musically, but lyrically fall short.

Color of Right is sort of bland.

Carve Away the Stone is absolutely bland.

I don't listen to it very often, but I've always liked 'Half The World' and am not ashamed to admit it.

Like someone else pointed out, TFE had a very fuzzy overdistorted sound that annoyed me. I remember when it came out my friend Dave who got me into Rush complaining that Limbo "just sounds like Alex is playing noise"

TFE is ok. There are actually a decent number of good moments on it. I really like Totem and the title track and a few of the others. I wouldn't rank it among the top half of their albums, but I wouldn't put it in the bottom 5 either.

Still with that being said I don't listen to it much. When I'm in the mood for music from that time period I'll usually put on Counterparts or Vapor Trails.

QUOTE (mjohnson30 @ May 25 2012, 11:05 PM)
TFE is ok. There are actually a decent number of good moments on it. I really like Totem and the title track and a few of the others. I wouldn't rank it among the top half of their albums, but I wouldn't put it in the bottom 5 either.

Still with that being said I don't listen to it much. When I'm in the mood for music from that time period I'll usually put on Counterparts or Vapor Trails.

right on 1022.gif 2.gif

Yay T4E! Some of my favorite songs! Driven, Half the World, Totem is fun! Risist! Limbo!

My favorite is "The Color or Right", even though it is a sad song it is a "real" song that hits home if you have a spouse that travels a lot.

Virtuality musically is a top notch rocker, if Neil had not committed serious lyrics crimes it would be a favorite. angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ May 27 2012, 09:41 AM)
Are the people who hate on dog years not "dog people"?

I love dogs, it's just a shitty song

QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig)
Virtuality = hey its the mid-90s, and I hear there's this new thing called the "world wide web"... people can send messages to each other through a computer! wow... I'm going to write a song about this. - NP

"And these lyrics certainly won't be laughable in 10 years!"

Edited by SchemingDemon

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ May 27 2012, 10:41 AM)
Are the people who hate on dog years not "dog people"?

Dogs are wonderful!

I'm just opposed to torture.

T4E is a solid album, but definately one of my least faves. This album lacks anything resembling a classic. I actually think all of the songs are at least 'good', some nearly 'great', but no home runs, and not as memorable. Its still better than RTB. wink.gif

People are gonna hate me for this, but I actually think Dog Years is a really good song! The guitar is awesome 1022.gif , and the lyrics aren't THAT bad. I do have to agree that the album isn't one of Rush's more memorable albums. It's kinda underrated, though. Edited by Dream-Theater*#2358

QUOTE (Dream-Theater*#2358 @ Jun 1 2012, 09:33 PM)
People are gonna hate me for this, but I actually think Dog Years is a really good song! The guitar is awesome 1022.gif , and the lyrics aren't THAT bad. I do have to agree that the album isn't one of Rush's more memorable albums. It's kinda underrated, though.

The first 10 seconds rock pretty good. Then it's all downhill from there.

Honestly? A collection of songs by a band dying on its arse. l believe that had Neil not had his double tragedy at this point they were done and in a strange way those tragic events breathed new life into the band, almost like a second chance. I'm hoping that Clockwork Angels is the last part of that cycle that sees the band accepted and recognised as one of the greatest rock bands.

QUOTE (mjohnson30 @ Jun 2 2012, 08:34 AM)
QUOTE (Dream-Theater*#2358 @ Jun 1 2012, 09:33 PM)
People are gonna hate me for this, but I actually think Dog Years is a really good song! The guitar is awesome 1022.gif , and the lyrics aren't THAT bad. I do have to agree that the album isn't one of Rush's more memorable albums. It's kinda underrated, though.

The first 10 seconds rock pretty good. Then it's all downhill from there.

i agree. it's like a snowball going downhill building up rock n roll speed and coolness. 1022.gif

I have always liked this album