Oldest Fan

Birmingham Odeon 3/06/77

When The Time Machine movie played in theaters last fall, my boyriend was out of town, and my 73-year-old mother knew the area around the theater far better than I did, so I took her with me. She loved it, and still tells people about it! She commented on Neil's drum kit and said that while the guys are all obviously talented, what makes them special is how they play off each other. Since a lot of what she commented on has a visual component to it, I'd recommend a DVD, maybe with a burned CD of the studio versions of the songs on the DVD.

When I saw them on the Presto Tour there was a guy in his 50's or maybe even early 60's sitting in the row in front of me, one seat over. My friend and I were discussing that he was kind of old and thought he was a chaperone for the kids sitting in front of us. He overheard us talking and turned to tell us he's no chaperone, he was there to see Neil Peart and he pronounced it correctly.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ May 19 2012, 09:47 PM)
When I saw them on the Presto Tour there was a guy in his 50's or maybe even early 60's sitting in the row in front of me, one seat over. My friend and I were discussing that he was kind of old and thought he was a chaperone for the kids sitting in front of us. He overheard us talking and turned to tell us he's no chaperone, he was there to see Neil Peart and he pronounced it correctly.

My Dad is in his early 60s (really not that old) and I'm taking him to see Rush in November! He's the one who introduced me to the band in the first place. Good call, Dad!

I too would go with Hemispheres. Without knowing the person, my prejudgement of an older person would lead me to believe they would most appreciate something jazzy or big-band.

The instrumentation of Hemispheres is certainly top-notch and even if someone wasn't into the 'rock scene' they could at least appreciate the bad-assness that is Hemispheres. One of the 'riffs' from La Villa is 'borrowed' for a big-band song (someone help me here if you know the source).

Either that, or you could dose his coffee with acid and play COS for him. cool10.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 20 2012, 09:16 PM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ May 20 2012, 05:45 PM)
Either that, or you could dose his coffee with acid and play COS for him.  cool10.gif

if you're gonna do that, then play him piper at the gates of dawn instead tongue.gif

Also, throw in Sgt. Pepper's, Dark Side of the Moon, and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots! (Listening to those albums while acidified is an experience I will NEVER forget.)

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 21 2012, 02:43 AM)
QUOTE (tel @ May 21 2012, 04:36 PM)
grace under pressure is probably the the most accessable for a new listener yes.gif

Great album but how do you figure that?

Yeah, I would say P/G is one of the least accessible

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 21 2012, 02:43 AM)
QUOTE (tel @ May 21 2012, 04:36 PM)
grace under pressure is probably the the most accessable for a new listener yes.gif

Great album but how do you figure that?

always found this collection of songs had a more commercial edge

Tell him he won't like it. It will make his ears bleed. Then offer him a Laurence Welk album and some warm milk.

I'm just kidding! laugh.gif

If he likes rock music, you have to go with MP. Its the safest and smartest choice.