911?

friendlyfloridian

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ May 11 2012, 06:36 PM)
This thread has kept me entertained all day! It has EVERYTHING. Drama, Mystery, Comedy, a Life-affirming Message, etc.

Can't wait for the sequel!

applaudit.gif

Well, as long as that dude keeps following me around and taking shots, it's bound to happen eventually wink.gif

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ May 11 2012, 07:36 PM)
http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/36/36507fd1_Awesome5B15D.jpg

This thread has kept me entertained all day! It has EVERYTHING. Drama, Mystery, Comedy, a Life-affirming Message, etc.

applaudit.gif

Man...that seal got me! doh.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ May 11 2012, 09:31 PM)
There will be no seqel, he is not worthy rofl3.gif

http://www.techinasia.com/techinasia/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/douchebag.jpeg

QUOTE (canadianice @ May 11 2012, 08:31 PM)
There will be no seqel, he is not worthy rofl3.gif

Numerous faces to use here.

http://www.myfacewhen.com/images/143.jpg

http://www.myfacewhen.com/images/24.jpg

http://www.myfacewhen.com/images/306.jpg

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ May 11 2012, 07:36 PM)
http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/36/36507fd1_Awesome5B15D.jpg

applaudit.gif

Well, it doesn't have any romance (yet), but f**k this stuff is hilarious. rofl3.gif I wonder what the sequel could possibly be about? ph34r.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 11 2012, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 11 2012, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 11 2012, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 11 2012, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (drgrendel @ May 11 2012, 12:38 PM)
Quick to judge indeed...

Right back at you. I have the same right to my opinion as yours. I am not the one trashing you for your beliefs. But whoa I come on here asking for some opinions and I get trashed. Not good. You would have thought I started a religious debate. wacko.gif

I do think people jumped you a little heavily and didn't really understand what you were trying to say.

What I got from it was that while it is 9:12, it is kind of ambiguous as it is hands on a clock and without knowledge that its a reference to 21:12, one might mistake it for being 9:11.

Where I think you fell off the wagon a little bit is when you said that it was "in bad taste". Saying its in bad taste means that Rush meant to be offensive with this cover and meant to invoke feelings about 9/11. This is almost certainly not true.

Agreed. I don't think that Rush did it intentionally but I still think it is a close resemblance to 911 and in bad taste.

Okay, we're going around in circles here. My point was saying something is "in bad taste" means the speaker or author or what have you meant to be offensive. Rush obviously did not mean for anyone to think about 9/11 when looking at this cover.

My question to you is, when The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers came out, did you think the title of that movie was in bad taste?

No because didn't Tolkien write that many years before 911?

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 12 2012, 05:44 AM)
Quick to judge indeed...

Right back at you. I have the same right to my opinion as yours. I am not the one trashing you for your beliefs. But whoa I come on here asking for some opinions and I get trashed. Not good. You would have thought I started a religious debate. wacko.gif

I do think people jumped you a little heavily and didn't really understand what you were trying to say.

What I got from it was that while it is 9:12, it is kind of ambiguous as it is hands on a clock and without knowledge that its a reference to 21:12, one might mistake it for being 9:11.

Where I think you fell off the wagon a little bit is when you said that it was "in bad taste". Saying its in bad taste means that Rush meant to be offensive with this cover and meant to invoke feelings about 9/11. This is almost certainly not true.

Agreed. I don't think that Rush did it intentionally but I still think it is a close resemblance to 911 and in bad taste.

Okay, we're going around in circles here. My point was saying something is "in bad taste" means the speaker or author or what have you meant to be offensive. Rush obviously did not mean for anyone to think about 9/11 when looking at this cover.

My question to you is, when The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers came out, did you think the title of that movie was in bad taste?

Many... like about 50, yes.

And if he hadn't? What if someone wrote a book today called The Two Towers? What if someone were to write a book about elves and dwarves and magic... and it had monsters and talking trees and the whole thing. It would clearly have nothing to do with real life. Would you still have a problem with the title? Is anything even remotely related to that day off limits in your mind?

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 12 2012, 06:44 AM)
Quick to judge indeed...

I don't think it's cool when people call you names or put you down, but just because something tangently may evoke emotions in people about 9/11 doesn't mean they are being insensitive. There's always going to be something unintentional that will do this, and unfortunately it is the responsibility of the person with the emotions, not the world around them, to deal with those emotions.

It is quite clear what the intention was here, and I think it would be wrong for Rush to avoid making a good in-joke reference for their fans because they fear some people might make an unfortunate connection to 9/11 (though I doubt they even realized the potential connection at all).

Note that if it WAS 9:11, there is nothing here to say anything positive or negative about that date and event. It's just a clock and you are the one filling in the emotional details.

Perhaps I am going to overreach her, but I really am trying to help: I have some experience (personal, not profesional) dealing with emotional pain. In the end, no matter who caused the trauma (an abusive parent, a terrorist, etc.), the responsibility for healing and dealing with the pain is the one IN pain, not the source or the world around them. This means it is not up to Rush to figure out all of the ways an image may cause unpleasant feelings in their fans (unless they are trying to do so, which I would take issue with), but it is about you and how you deal with the emotions.

It's not easy, and it's a tragedy that so many are left dealing with serious emotional trauma in the wake of events they could not control, but it is the way the world works and there's no changing it.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ May 12 2012, 09:26 AM)
Quick to judge indeed...

I don't think it's cool when people call you names or put you down, but just because something tangently may evoke emotions in people about 9/11 doesn't mean they are being insensitive. There's always going to be something unintentional that will do this, and unfortunately it is the responsibility of the person with the emotions, not the world around them, to deal with those emotions.

It is quite clear what the intention was here, and I think it would be wrong for Rush to avoid making a good in-joke reference for their fans because they fear some people might make an unfortunate connection to 9/11 (though I doubt they even realized the potential connection at all).

Note that if it WAS 9:11, there is nothing here to say anything positive or negative about that date and event. It's just a clock and you are the one filling in the emotional details.

Perhaps I am going to overreach her, but I really am trying to help: I have some experience (personal, not profesional) dealing with emotional pain. In the end, no matter who caused the trauma (an abusive parent, a terrorist, etc.), the responsibility for healing and dealing with the pain is the one IN pain, not the source or the world around them. This means it is not up to Rush to figure out all of the ways an image may cause unpleasant feelings in their fans (unless they are trying to do so, which I would take issue with), but it is about you and how you deal with the emotions.

It's not easy, and it's a tragedy that so many are left dealing with serious emotional trauma in the wake of events they could not control, but it is the way the world works and there's no changing it.

Thank you and for the first time in this thread I think you understand where I am coming from. Appreciate it.

Threads like these would normally be innocuous and max out at maybe 20 posts...

"Is that clock a reference to 9/11?"

"No, it's a 2112 in-joke. 21:12. Military time."

"Oh, okay."

End of thread, right? Whenever I see a thread like this with over five pages, I know it will be full of fail. And there's plenty of fail to go around, equally among the main participants here. You guys done yet?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 12 2012, 09:32 AM)

"Oh, okay."

End of thread, right? Whenever I see a thread like this with over five pages, I know it will be full of fail. And there's plenty of fail to go around, equally among the main participants here. You guys done yet?

Done? Ha. Wait about 3 weeks, somebody else will start a new thread, thinking they have noticed something new, and we'll get another 3 pages. (Clever enough to see the symbolism tucked into an album cover, but not quite clever enough to understand how to use the search function . . .)

Quick to judge indeed...

Sure, and didn't 2112 come out years before 911?

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 12 2012, 10:55 AM)
Quick to judge indeed...

facepalm.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 12 2012, 08:32 AM)

"Oh, okay."

I think that's overly harsh. It's been going around in circles, but there have been many, many threads that have been far more contentious than this one where nobody - no mod - stepped in to call it a Fail. Very few of the posts have been truly insulting, and for the most part, people have been trying to help the OP understand a certain point of view.

Granted, the little go-round I had with whats-his-name took it off the rails for a while, but aside from that, this thread hasn't been that bad and it seems to be back on track now.

And yes, we already said that part was over. Your "you guys done yet" question was answered yesterday.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 12 2012, 09:55 AM)
Quick to judge indeed...

FF got some comfort from SkyJeff. It would have been nice to let this thread fade away on a nice note. There's no need to continue going in circles. Just let it end.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 12 2012, 11:08 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 12 2012, 08:32 AM)

"Oh, okay."

I think that's overly harsh. It's been going around in circles, but there have been many, many threads that have been far more contentious than this one where nobody - no mod - stepped in to call it a Fail. Very few of the posts have been truly insulting, and for the most part, people have been trying to help the OP understand a certain point of view.

Granted, the little go-round I had with whats-his-name took it off the rails for a while, but aside from that, this thread hasn't been that bad and it seems to be back on track now.

And yes, we already said that part was over. Your "you guys done yet" question was answered yesterday.

Of course there have been worse threads than this, and my post wasn't overly harsh. My point was, this was supposed to be a harmless, innocuous thread, and here we are six pages of crap later.

As for mod intervention, did I issue any official warnings? Call anybody out by name? Threaten to close the thread (or, just go ahead and close it)? No, I just gave my opinion about the fail in this thread and asked if you guys were done yet. smile.gif

I think Rush might be referencing 911 buffalo wings. During the time machine tour Neil looked as if he'd been enjoying them recently. I mean, look at his face. If I had just eaten 911 buffalo wings and had to hold it in while I drummed for 3 hours I would also be making that face. Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (USB Connector @ May 12 2012, 10:53 AM)
I think Rush might be referencing 911 buffalo wings. During the time machine tour Neil looked as if he'd been enjoying them recently. I mean, look at his face. If I had just eaten 911 buffalo wings and had to hold it in while I drummed for 3 hours I would also be making that face.

That would explain the instrumentals they've written, such as Where's My Wings?, Leave Those Wings Alone, and the upcoming cover/spoof of the Smashing Pumpkins' hit single, Belly With Buffalo Wings.....

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ May 12 2012, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ May 12 2012, 10:53 AM)
I think Rush might be referencing 911 buffalo wings. During the time machine tour Neil looked as if he'd been enjoying them recently. I mean, look at his face. If I had just eaten 911 buffalo wings and had to hold it in while I drummed for 3 hours I would also be making that face.

That would explain the instrumentals they've written, such as Where's My Wings?, Leave Those Wings Alone, and the upcoming cover/spoof of the Smashing Pumpkins' hit single, Belly With Buffalo Wings.....

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

What about "Peaceable Wingdom" and A Farewell to Wings? Two of my personal favorites.

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 11 2012, 03:25 PM)
Still to me it looks like 9:11. It is only 1 minute away from that. I am kinda surprised the guys didn't consider that. I had a friend that died on the flight that hit tower 2.

Oh well...

I think your friend had a lucky escape from an attention whore like you!

Why don't you get a T-Shirt proclaiming "I'm entitled because I had a friend killed on 9/11" ?

What a shit friend you turned out to be. It is the likes of you that dishonours the victims of that atrocity.

Shame on you!!!