A cool idea Linkin Park uses

Gilbertk

I'm not sure if they still do this, but Linkin Park had a system set up where you pay a small fee.. I think only $5 extra when you purchase your ticket, and a few days after your show, you receive a fully mixed high quality recording of your show via email. So everyone gets their show.

If Rush did this, would you pay that small fee? I know I would. Of course they could still release a dvd and official live album that's been fully mastered and perhaps mixed in 5.1, but I think the possibility of giving each fan access to the show they attended would be a great idea. All they would have to do is record via the soundboard then send it to a studio to be mixed after the show. With technology how it is, they could just transfer the files to a studio in Toronto or Tennessee or wherever. It wouldn't add much work to the sound crew at all and once they send it, they're done with it.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ May 11 2012, 10:22 AM)
I mean think about it, if only 2000 people a night choose this option, at $5, that means they are making $10,000 a night extra.

10K might seem like a lot of cash but there are many factors that would be at play. What extra recording equipment do they need? What is the per-show cost of having the audio processed, someone mixing it, all that sort of stuff?

Furthermore by putting out a what is essentially "half assed" live album for every single show, what is the impact on the sales of a actual proper live album when they do put that out?

Don't get me wrong, I'd pay $10 in a heartbeat for a "personal" recording of the actual show(s) I was at. Just not sure what the appeal would be for RUSH for as a revenue stream and essentially a new way of marketing.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ May 11 2012, 09:55 AM)
QUOTE (Gilbertk @ May 11 2012, 10:22 AM)
I mean think about it, if only 2000 people a night choose this option, at $5, that means they are making $10,000 a night extra.

10K might seem like a lot of cash but there are many factors that would be at play. What extra recording equipment do they need? What is the per-show cost of having the audio processed, someone mixing it, all that sort of stuff?

Furthermore by putting out a what is essentially "half assed" live album for every single show, what is the impact on the sales of a actual proper live album when they do put that out?

Don't get me wrong, I'd pay $10 in a heartbeat for a "personal" recording of the actual show(s) I was at. Just not sure what the appeal would be for RUSH for as a revenue stream and essentially a new way of marketing.

trink39.gif

boots are available for just about every show, how does that affect the sale of their proper live albums?

Many bands are starting to do this and there are services that exist to make it happen. It's undercutting the bootleg market, which is awesome. Rush records all their shows anyway, so why not put those shows out there under an "Official Bootleg" label?

You really think fans wouldn't pay ten bucks for a USB drive with the show on it on their way out the door? The technology exists for that. Some bands are doing it.

Metallica does this and have for a while now. I just looked at their site and they want 99 cents per song for their 12/10/11 show at the Fillmore in San Francisco. 20 songs were played that night so if you want the whole show it's gonna cost you $20 in MP3 format for download. I think that's very high considering a comercially released live CD is roughly $15 and this is a download in lossy format no less. If Rush were to do it and charge even $10 I might consider it. No more than 10 bucks though.

In fairness to Metallica, they are offering the May 7 show in Prague for $9.95 pre-order in MP3 and $12.95 in FLAC. Much more reasonable pricing IMO. Don't know why that S.F. show from last December is higher.

Edited by driventotheedge

Absolutely yes, I'd pay $10 for this. yes.gif

Yes! This would be a super idea. I love me my live Rush, and wish this technology had existed years ago! I've found bootleg copies of the shows that I've been to, but the sound is quite crappy and I wouldn't at all mind spending a little $ to musically preserve my concert experience.

And have access to other shows, too. ph34r.gif

I'd love it if they did this. The first band I heard of doing this was Kiss, so take a page from your old mentors, boys, and let us have our shows! (At a reasonable price.)

I would gladly pay $10 or so for a recording after the show. Been buying boots for 30+ years and would be more than happy to pay the band or at least their crew or whoever involved. The quality would obviously not be as good as them "fixing" it all up in a studio but who cares? Other bands definitely do this. No surprise that KI$$ does it. Another thing I'd like to see or hear rather would be a RUSH radio station deal like Jimmy Buffett's Radio Margaritaville. They broadcast each show live and then replay it like 30 minutes after the concert and sometimes again later. Fans can record that for their unique experience. Some bands don't like the idea at all as they may have delivered a less than stellar performance. Or maybe there were technical problems or fan interactions/distractions or whatever. To me it just adds to the uniqueness of it all. And really, for what fans have to pay for tickets nowadays, an "official bootleg" CD or little memory stick thingy should be free of charge and be included in the cost of the ticket. Maybe charge a small fee for those who sat in the grass or in the nosebleeds/ paid $100 less for their tickets. But then again, those seats may be all those folks could get and maybe didn't have any choice. I'd still pay $10 anyway. I'm gonna get it somehow, somewhere anyway. Might as well be from them. It ain't like they need the $ anyway. Give the "bootlegging" revenue to charity or something.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ May 13 2012, 07:56 AM)
QUOTE (30kwpa @ May 13 2012, 07:47 AM)
Give the "bootlegging" revenue to charity or something.

There you go! That's a great idea.

Rush supports this group and what better way to raise money for it than from concerts?

http://www.littlekidsrock.org/

I think the band should select a few of those guys to be their advisors for matters like this considering you guys seem to have their future planned out rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ May 11 2012, 12:41 PM)
Metallica does this and have for a while now. I just looked at their site and they want 99 cents per song for their 12/10/11 show at the Fillmore in San Francisco. 20 songs were played that night so if you want the whole show it's gonna cost you $20 in MP3 format for download. I think that's very high considering a comercially released live CD is roughly $15 and this is a download in lossy format no less. If Rush were to do it and charge even $10 I might consider it. No more than 10 bucks though.

In fairness to Metallica, they are offering the May 7 show in Prague for $9.95 pre-order in MP3 and $12.95 in FLAC. Much more reasonable pricing IMO. Don't know why that S.F. show from last December is higher.

Yes, Metallica has been doing this for almost ten years now. Last time I saw them was three years ago and they even had a posters up at the merch stands advertising that you could buy a recording of the show for $10 there. I think all you have to do is give them your e-mail adress with the purchase and they send you the link to download it the next day. They get the whole process done very quickly. The big difference between Metallica and Rush when it comes to live sets is that Metallica always switches up 7 or 8 songs every night so no two shows are the same. So, Metallica probably makes more money off it then they would if they did the same set every night like Rush does.

Still, it's a good idea and Rush should think about doing it. The big question is if they can afford it or not? To take recording equitment and some people to operate it is every night of a tour isn't gonna be free. There's no doubt the guys in the band are wealthy men and have themselves and their familes financially set for the rest of their days but i'm sure they don't wanna take a big loss if it's not a successful venture for them.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Don't they already record every show, or nearly every show? I think Alex and Geddy have mentioned that once or thrice. I mean, they're probably not the best things ever recorded, but they're should be of some value.

But as has been mentioned, this might not be the best thing for Rush. They play pretty much the same show each night. Their setlists vary by only a few rotating songs, or some swaps each leg, if at all. Neils solo is a bit different every night, but only by so much. Preformance quality is also pretty consistant.

What would be much better would be to offer old shows for download.

QUOTE (sdhonda @ May 13 2012, 09:44 AM)
Don't they already record every show, or nearly every show? I think Alex and Geddy have mentioned that once or thrice. I mean, they're probably not the best things ever recorded, but they're should be of some value.

Yes - and even if they didn't, everything goes through a mixing board. It's a trivial thing to hook up a recorder to the board. Hell, I do that for my podcasting. The recorder cost me $200 and it takes about 90 seconds to transfer an hour of audio to the computer. Throw it into Audition, add markers, split into separate files, covert to MP3... the process would take less than 10 minutes with automation (a script that I could write in about 30 seconds, and I'm not a professional).

The only question here is whether or not people would be willing to pay for the shows since (as you went on to mention), it's basically the same show every night. I think people would - or rather, I think enough people would that it would justify the ridiculously low cost and time involved.

If they did this I think they would sell more live cd's. More people would want a live recording from the show they were actually at. When they release the dvd from the tour they can throw in the better sounding and mixed cd as a Bonus.

QUOTE (blending strings @ May 13 2012, 06:27 PM)
Yeah..l I would pay $50 for something like that... A nice keepsake from the show... That would be nice.

SSHHHHH!!!!!!

Don't let them hear you would pay that much!!!