What is the point of cynicism and negativity?

Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 9 2012, 11:44 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 9 2012, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 9 2012, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 9 2012, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 9 2012, 02:48 PM)
I happen to think Armor & Sword and Far Cry is up there among their best stuff too - not top ten certainly, but top twenty-five

Wow . Just Wow cool10.gif

moon.gif

confused13.gif

I can't help it if you don't appreciate these awesome songs. no.gif tongue.gif

laugh.gif

The same can be said for you with regards to BU2B and Caravan! 1022.gif

Well played sir, well played. tongue.gif

Here's hoping Goober finds plenty to like on this record wink.gif

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ May 10 2012, 04:33 AM)
I can't believe you guys have enough time to read and write all of this stuff.

we dont, as a result our families and businesses suffer.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ May 9 2012, 10:46 PM)
QUOTE (Phantom @ May 9 2012, 05:37 PM)
Any comments, one way or the other, have never taken away from how I feel about the band, and how I feel when I listen to their music...I just embrace the fact that for me, I've never been moved by any other band in a way that I've been moved by Rush. Nothing anyone says or does will change that feeling for me.

Thanks for the reminder of what's truly important. Personally, I often fall into the trap of seeking out what seem like like-minded individuals on the Internet, so I at least have someone to talk with about the things that interest me, which NEVER interest people in real life who I have to deal with. The trouble is, instead of the enthusiasm I think I'm going to find, I often find the opposite, and not only the "YOU like THAT album?!?" attitude. It goes further to the fierce competitiveness among fans - the "you've SERIOUSLY only been to two shows? z7shysterical.gif "You can't know what the h*** you're talking about because you've only been a fan for two years - trust me, you'll think Geddy's voice sucks in a few more, and if you don't, it shows there's something seriously wrong with you!" "There are too many fans of this band now - it was so much better when it was our little secret." All true things that have been said to me - the first to my face at a meetup!

It makes it very, very hard to be a new fan of something or someone when you focus on what the fan base thinks of you (which, as a newer fan, is NOT pretty). Sure, there are a few "Better late than never!"s, "I'm glad you became a fan"s, or "Aren't they great?"s, but by and large, the attitude is "Why did YOU have to become a fan?" - and it's worse with Rush than almost any other interest I've had except maybe Star Trek/Star Wars - man, those people make Rush fans look sweet.

If I didn't stop and ask myself "Isn't the only thing that matters how they make you feel?" and focus on the answer, I'd find being a fan too discouraging. It's mind-boggling to have to fight over something and defend myself from attacks over an interest we're supposed to SHARE, and that comes so naturally and positively to me. If it were anyone other than Rush, I'd probably move on (and have from other things in the past). But they're worth it. Thanks for reminding me of what my priorities should be.

It's my pleasure.

It's logical to come to a forum like this to seek out like minded people to share positive thoughts and experiences with. And reading your post, I can understand how it's easy to become discouraged and/or dissappointed.

I'm not sure why it is that I've been fortunate enough to not be affected by those whose views are sometimes the opposite of mine. I certainly don't take these views personally. And as much as I love Rush, I'm sure that there are many others who love the band at least as much as I do, if not more.

My wife would suggest that the reason I'm not bothered by negativity is because I'm very comfortable in my own skin, and completely secure in how I feel about things that I love the most. The other thing is, I think it's important to try to understand the perspective and feelings of others, especially when they are quite the opposite of mine. I love the excersise of asking myself why my feelings are the opposite of someone elses, and then learning from it. It widens my view of the world.

I think I've come to realize that when it comes to negativity around the band, that negativity is actually coming from a source that is good. Anyone fan who really dislikes something is likely speaking out as a result of the dissappointment they feel from a band that they really like, and who's work they WANT to like. I think it's human nature to be angry or dissappointed when you don't like something that you WANTED to like. I could be way off, but from my perspective, those that are negative are likely at least as big a fan as I am... likely bigger. Though I'm lucky to not have had the same dissappointments as they have, I think I can understand and appreciate why they are negative, and I support their right to have a forum in which to share their dissappointment.

It would have been hard to be a new Rush fan and to visit a forum like this. My 18 year-old self was far to insecure and self doubting for my musical opinions to not have been completely crushed by someone telling me my opinion on an album made me an ignorant idiot, or something to that effect. Should I have been less insecure? Well, yeah.

Instead, here I have great sense of security built around knowing my opinions are truly my own, and entirely valid, because the foundation was not influenced to any great extent by the opinions of others.

In the world before the internet, on my own, sifting through boxes of used cassettes or LPs, I also "discovered" and glommed onto many great artists like Jeff Beck. All this in an environment where the other girls were listening to such average non special bleh stuff as Logins and Messina (sorry if you love them, but they are very meh).

So I know my gut instinct for music is good. Rush is the only group I "glommed" on to that is not universally acclaimed by the larger music world.

I don't mind saying the world is wrong about Rush, they are one of the real greats, right up there with Zep, Floyd, Cream etc 1287.gif 1287.gif

It is also helpful to recognize that around here, everyones opinions are wrong to someone else. No one is "king of the hill" or the ultimate authority because the opinions vary so much.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 10 2012, 04:46 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 9 2012, 11:44 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 9 2012, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 9 2012, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 9 2012, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 9 2012, 02:48 PM)
I happen to think Armor & Sword and Far Cry is up there among their best stuff too - not top ten certainly, but top twenty-five

Wow . Just Wow cool10.gif

moon.gif

confused13.gif

I can't help it if you don't appreciate these awesome songs. no.gif tongue.gif

laugh.gif

The same can be said for you with regards to BU2B and Caravan! 1022.gif

Well played sir, well played. tongue.gif

Here's hoping Goober finds plenty to like on this record wink.gif

Absolutely.

I'd love for CA to provide enjoyment to everyone here, or at least to contain some great things that everyone loves.

However, this is music. All subjective. So, I definitely don't think that it will. There will most certainly be people that dislike it...but as long as I'm not one of those, I'm happy! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ May 10 2012, 06:39 AM)
QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ May 10 2012, 04:33 AM)
I can't believe you guys have enough time to read and write all of this stuff.

we dont, as a result our families and businesses suffer.

laugh.gif

So, so true.

QUOTE (Phantom @ May 10 2012, 06:47 AM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ May 9 2012, 10:46 PM)
Any comments, one way or the other, have never taken away from how I feel about the band, and how I feel when I listen to their music...I just embrace the fact that for me, I've never been moved by any other band in a way that I've been moved by Rush. Nothing anyone says or does will change that feeling for me.

Thanks for the reminder of what's truly important. Personally, I often fall into the trap of seeking out what seem like like-minded individuals on the Internet, so I at least have someone to talk with about the things that interest me, which NEVER interest people in real life who I have to deal with. The trouble is, instead of the enthusiasm I think I'm going to find, I often find the opposite, and not only the "YOU like THAT album?!?" attitude. It goes further to the fierce competitiveness among fans - the "you've SERIOUSLY only been to two shows? z7shysterical.gif "You can't know what the h*** you're talking about because you've only been a fan for two years - trust me, you'll think Geddy's voice sucks in a few more, and if you don't, it shows there's something seriously wrong with you!" "There are too many fans of this band now - it was so much better when it was our little secret." All true things that have been said to me - the first to my face at a meetup!

It makes it very, very hard to be a new fan of something or someone when you focus on what the fan base thinks of you (which, as a newer fan, is NOT pretty). Sure, there are a few "Better late than never!"s, "I'm glad you became a fan"s, or "Aren't they great?"s, but by and large, the attitude is "Why did YOU have to become a fan?" - and it's worse with Rush than almost any other interest I've had except maybe Star Trek/Star Wars - man, those people make Rush fans look sweet.

If I didn't stop and ask myself "Isn't the only thing that matters how they make you feel?" and focus on the answer, I'd find being a fan too discouraging. It's mind-boggling to have to fight over something and defend myself from attacks over an interest we're supposed to SHARE, and that comes so naturally and positively to me. If it were anyone other than Rush, I'd probably move on (and have from other things in the past). But they're worth it. Thanks for reminding me of what my priorities should be.

It's my pleasure.

It's logical to come to a forum like this to seek out like minded people to share positive thoughts and experiences with. And reading your post, I can understand how it's easy to become discouraged and/or dissappointed.

I'm not sure why it is that I've been fortunate enough to not be affected by those whose views are sometimes the opposite of mine. I certainly don't take these views personally. And as much as I love Rush, I'm sure that there are many others who love the band at least as much as I do, if not more.

My wife would suggest that the reason I'm not bothered by negativity is because I'm very comfortable in my own skin, and completely secure in how I feel about things that I love the most. The other thing is, I think it's important to try to understand the perspective and feelings of others, especially when they are quite the opposite of mine. I love the excersise of asking myself why my feelings are the opposite of someone elses, and then learning from it. It widens my view of the world.

I think I've come to realize that when it comes to negativity around the band, that negativity is actually coming from a source that is good. Anyone fan who really dislikes something is likely speaking out as a result of the dissappointment they feel from a band that they really like, and who's work they WANT to like. I think it's human nature to be angry or dissappointed when you don't like something that you WANTED to like. I could be way off, but from my perspective, those that are negative are likely at least as big a fan as I am... likely bigger. Though I'm lucky to not have had the same dissappointments as they have, I think I can understand and appreciate why they are negative, and I support their right to have a forum in which to share their dissappointment.

But to beat a dead horse over and over again, the same complaints, the same rants repeatedly? Not so much on this forum, but I see too much emphasis on it elsewhere. There is such a thing as too much negativity and with Rush fans, it's there. Expressing negativity and venting is fine, but these same folks have NOTHING positive to say about the new stuff either. While I respect that's how they feel, sometimes it's not what they say that bothers me, it's how they say it and the overall biased tone. If someone really dislikes Rush that much these days, why keep following the band?

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ May 9 2012, 11:46 PM)

This is sad to hear. sad.gif I've only met a few other people in person who are even casually into Rush, and they've been very chill. But if I met a hardcore fan who was an asshole just because I've only been a fan for a relatively short amount of time.... I don't know what I'd do. I'd feel sad and disappointed for sure. sad.gif

I think this is a very good and interesting question, thanks for bringing up the topic:

Here are some of my thoughts on the subject of cynicism and why people express negative thoughts on here.

At some point, we all jumped on the wagon and became Rush fans. Our fandom started out with one song or album and grew as we listened to more of their catalog.

What did it mean to be a fan? Being a Rush fan was a way of identifying yourself with some of the band's positive attributes: Smart, progressive, different, non-conformist and excellence. Being a Rush fan was and still is for some, like wearing a badge of coolness. Who am I ? I'm a Rush fan. That should tell you a lot about me.

It all started with a belief that this band did everything they could to perform at their best "live" and when they made music. They didn't sell out and make pop songs for profit. They did what they wanted and made the music they wanted. Any departure from that perception ruins something so close to us. As if...Whoah ! Wait a minute, what the hell is that song? I've spent most of my life believing you were great, telling everyone who would listen that you were great, and now you get lazy on me ?

So....when we Rush fans start to feel that any of what made the band so important to us is starting to get compromised, it almost feels like a betrayal. Sounds overly dramatic doesn't it? But its real. The gut reaction to hearing something we don't like by our favorite band almost becomes a personal affront. Whether its the quality of the writing or the way they record, if it sounds lazy or simple, longtime fans are going to come on here and say so.

I for one will always call it like I see it. I'm the guy who screams "WTF is going on here ?!? The King has no friggin clothes on!" I don't believe in getting caught up in hype unless its worthy of it in my opinion. This is Rush, afterall and they set the bar extremely high.

That being said, I know that there are people who are new fans of Rush's music and are developing the very same feelings I got back in the late 70's and early 80's. That is amazing to me. While I may not think their last few CD's were great, someone out there did. This band still makes music that gets people hooked for life and it floors me.

Getting back to the original question: IMO, the negativism comes from Rush fans being burned by 'hype' in the past when it wasn't warranted. For having lofty expectations come crashing down when they didn't release something we thought was worthy of our ridiculously high standards.

To the cynics, Rush's most recent music has devolved from what was once considered great. So with every new release, it's only natural that some folks will listen to the music or read overly positive reviews with a certain amount of skepticism. I'm certain most of them don't want to be negative. Everyone's waiting for the next "Great" Cd or music that captured us the first time.

Edited by anchorman

QUOTE (anchorman @ May 10 2012, 11:37 AM)
I think this is a very good and interesting question, thanks for bringing up the topic:

Here are some of my thoughts on the subject of cynicism and why people express negative thoughts on here.

At some point, we all jumped on the wagon and became Rush fans. Our fandom started out with one song or album and grew as we listened to more of their catalog.

What did it mean to be a fan? Being a Rush fan was a way of identifying yourself with some of the band's positive attributes: Smart, progressive, different, non-conformist and excellence. Being a Rush fan was and still is for some, like wearing a badge of coolness. Who am I ? I'm a Rush fan. That should tell you a lot about me.

It all started with a belief that this band did everything they could to perform at their best "live" and when they made music. They didn't sell out and make pop songs for profit. They did what they wanted and made the music they wanted. Any departure from that perception ruins something so close to us. As if...Whoah ! Wait a minute, what the hell is that song? I've spent most of my life believing you were great, telling everyone who would listen that you were great, and now you get lazy on me ?

So....when we Rush fans start to feel that any of what made the band so important to us is starting to get compromised, it almost feels like a betrayal. Sounds overly dramatic doesn't it? But its real. The gut reaction to hearing something we don't like by our favorite band almost becomes a personal affront. Whether its the quality of the writing or the way they record, if it sounds lazy or simple, longtime fans are going to come on here and say so.

I for one will always call it like I see it. I'm the guy who screams "WTF is going on here ?!? The King has no friggin clothes on!" I don't believe in getting caught up in hype unless its worthy of it in my opinion. This is Rush, afterall and they set the bar extremely high.

That being said, I know that there are people who are new fans of Rush's music and are developing the very same feelings I got back in the late 70's and early 80's. That is amazing to me. While I may not think their last few CD's were great, someone out there did. This band still makes music that gets people hooked for life and it floors me.

Getting back to the original question: IMO, the negativism comes from Rush fans being burned by 'hype' in the past when it wasn't warranted. For having lofty expectations come crashing down when they didn't release something we thought was worthy of our ridiculously high standards.

To the cynics, Rush's most recent music has devolved from what once was considered great. So with every new release, it's only natural that some folks will listen to the music or read overly positive reviews with a certain amount of skepticism. I'm certain most of them don't want to be negative. Everyone's waiting for the next "Great" Cd or music that captured us the first time.

goodpost.gif

And agree with you mostly, but...

.....that next great "CD" that will satisfy these folks isn't going to happen, because Rush does what they want from their hearts, not to satisfy fans' fantasies. Some people set the bar way too high and unrealistic...and get too nitpicky. Sure, they can vent, but the excessive ranting gets old and toxic.

Their music keeps evolving and changing, like a flowing river thorugh various landscapes that keeps moving forward, not backward.

Now, that being said, I have a good feeling that while CA will have its dissenters, I think we're about to have the highest praise for a Rush album that will LAST from Rush fans worldwide that we haven't seen in quite some time. Not hyping, just realistically predicting.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 9 2012, 12:40 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 9 2012, 08:09 AM)
...yes, I know that some of you dont like the three songs heard so far and you have every right to express your dissatisfaction, but the attitude I also sense is of almost complete dismissal and panning...not able to salvage anything positive out of the new stuff...

so, let's say I like to eat eggs, but only a very special brand

and let's also say that this brand is rare, so I don't get to have them very often

in fact, over the last 10 years, I've only been able to purchase 37 eggs

of those 37, the first dozen were pretty good (a few 'odd' tasting ones here and there)

but the next eight were awful (though I was told they were not from the usual source)

no surprise, then - I was wary of the next dozen, but gave them a chance (because, when these eggs are good, they're phenomenal - the best I've ever had)

^ much to my chagrin, however, every other egg in that dozen was terrible

I've only bought three eggs from them since then - and each one was 'off' in some way (none have tasted quite right)

the company said that just nine more would be available this year... if I want them

how many more eggs from that brand do you think I should buy at this point before I try something else for breakfast?

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 9 2012, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (Sin City @ May 9 2012, 12:24 PM)
And then we get the Johnny come latelys who didn't get into the band until the late 80's early 90's with absolutely zero appreciation of the bands early heritage who genuinely believe that songs like Caravan are amongst the finest songs the band have written. Pffft-how do you snort in print?
And that my friend is why some of us think the way we do.

You know what? Piss off. I discovered them with Presto and I'll be goddamned if you or any other narrow-minded prat is going to tell me that I'm not as 'good' a fan as you. I've got 20 years of being a fan, that's not a "Johnny Come Lately" - and it wouldn't matter if it was. You are no better, no more valid a fan as the kid who just discovered the band when Caravan came out.

I've got 10 years on your fanhood. That makes me 33% better of a fan.

Maybe someday for you whippersnappers but until then, keep your place.

653.gif

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ May 10 2012, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 9 2012, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (Sin City @ May 9 2012, 12:24 PM)
And then we get the Johnny come latelys who didn't get into the band until the late 80's early 90's with absolutely zero appreciation of the bands early heritage who genuinely believe that songs like Caravan are amongst the finest songs the band have written. Pffft-how do you snort in print?
And that my friend is why some of us think the way we do.

You know what? Piss off. I discovered them with Presto and I'll be goddamned if you or any other narrow-minded prat is going to tell me that I'm not as 'good' a fan as you. I've got 20 years of being a fan, that's not a "Johnny Come Lately" - and it wouldn't matter if it was. You are no better, no more valid a fan as the kid who just discovered the band when Caravan came out.

I've got 10 years on your fanhood. That makes me 33% better of a fan.

Maybe someday for you whippersnappers but until then, keep your place.

653.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (anchorman @ May 10 2012, 09:37 AM)

At some point, we all jumped on the wagon and became Rush fans.  Our fandom started out with one song or album and grew as we listened to more of their catalog. 

What did it mean to be a fan?  Being a Rush fan was a way of identifying yourself with some of the band's positive attributes: Smart, progressive, different, non-conformist and excellence.  Being a Rush fan was and still is for some, like wearing a badge of coolness.  Who am I ?  I'm a Rush fan.  That should tell you a lot about me. 

It all started with a belief that this band did everything they could to perform at their best "live" and when they made music.  They didn't sell out and make pop songs for profit.  They did what they wanted and made the music they wanted.  Any departure from that perception ruins something so close to us.  As if...Whoah !  Wait a minute, what the hell is that song?  I've spent most of my life believing you were great, telling everyone who would listen that you were great,  and now you get lazy on me ? 

So....when we Rush fans start to feel that any of what made the band so important to us is starting to get compromised, it almost feels like a betrayal.  Sounds overly dramatic doesn't it?  But its real.  The gut reaction to hearing something we don't like by our favorite band almost becomes a personal affront.  Whether its the quality of the writing or the way they record, if it sounds lazy or simple, longtime fans are going to come on here and say so.

I for one will always call it like I see it.  I'm the guy who screams "WTF is going on here ?!? The King has no friggin clothes on!"  I don't believe in getting caught up in hype unless its worthy of it in my opinion.  This is Rush, afterall and they set the bar extremely high.

That being said, I know that there are people who are new fans of Rush's music and are developing the very same feelings I got back in the late 70's and early 80's.  That is amazing to me.  While I may not think their last few CD's were great, someone out there did.  This band still makes music that gets people hooked for life and it floors me.

Getting back to the original question: IMO, the negativism comes from Rush fans being burned by 'hype' in the past when it wasn't warranted.  For having lofty expectations come crashing down when they didn't release something we thought was worthy of our ridiculously high standards. 

To the cynics, Rush's most recent music has devolved from what was once considered great.  So with every new release, it's only natural that some folks will listen to the music or read overly positive reviews with a certain amount of skepticism. I'm certain most of them don't want to be negative.  Everyone's waiting for the next "Great" Cd or music that captured us the first time.

goodpost.gif

I only used that emoticon because one that says GREAT posting doesn't exist. wink.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 10 2012, 10:56 AM)

This is sad to hear. sad.gif I've only met a few other people in person who are even casually into Rush, and they've been very chill. But if I met a hardcore fan who was an asshole just because I've only been a fan for a relatively short amount of time.... I don't know what I'd do. I'd feel sad and disappointed for sure. sad.gif

FYI: The correct term for people that bust on new fans isn't "Asshole". Technically, it is "Douchebag" or "Prick"

QUOTE (Animate @ May 10 2012, 12:41 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 10 2012, 10:56 AM)

FYI: The correct term for people that bust on new fans isn't "Asshole". Technically, it is "Douchebag" or "Prick"

Made a note of it. Thanks! biggrin.gif

People love to complain about criticism and negativity and think that somehow in doing so, it will somehow bring about some kind of change in consciousness and result in a fountain of positivity, a shining light in the darkness. Prepare for disappointment if that's the case, as this is probably the 50th version of this thread (in one form or another), and nothing has changed, nor will it. Either you like it around here enough to deal with the aspects you don't like, or you leave. I don't mean that to sound as harsh as it probably does, but that's just reality based on history.

You can want to stay on one hand, and on the other hand wish it was different or even berate people if they're not doing it the way you want them to do it, but you're not going to get anywhere. It's been tried - many times. It doesn't work.

Complaining about people complaining is just more complaining and will bring about more of the same. Being negative about negativity is just more negativity, but somehow people want to perceive it as a better, more noble negativity. At least I'm not putting down Rush on a Rush board you negative, complaining jerk! Real positive, right? wink.gif tongue.gif

I do understand the OP's premise of people constantly repeating themselves, but isn't that what we as human beings do? We have our views, beliefs, personalities, opinions, etc., and unless those change, we're going to remain pretty consistent. The people who love most every Rush song and most every Rush album and say nothing but positive things about Rush are just as consistent, only that's considered to be a more noble (and certainly less controversial) type of consistency and repetition, so it's accepted. It's hard to have it both ways.

I'm a major Rush fan. They're my favorite band in the world. I've loved them for 31 years. They've set an EXTREMELY high bar to live up to, and when they don't live up to it in my eyes, I'm disappointed. I'm grateful that I've found a discussion board where I can talk about what works and what doesn't work, where we can share opinions, never losing sight that they are always only opinions, and that the whole thing is supposed to be fun (at least in my mind). Sure, things get heated, but isn't that just like life too? At least it keeps it from being boring. TRF is diverse people and personalities talking about a band - the great, the good and the not so good. It's not perfect, neither is life. Do your best to enjoy it regardless! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 10 2012, 12:53 PM)
People love to complain about criticism and negativity and think that somehow in doing so, it will somehow bring about some kind of change in consciousness and result in a fountain of positivity, a shining light in the darkness. Prepare for disappointment if that's the case, as this is probably the 50th version of this thread (in one form or another), and nothing has changed, nor will it. Either you like it around here enough to deal with the aspects you don't like, or you leave. I don't mean that to sound as harsh as it probably does, but that's just reality based on history.

You can want to stay on one hand, and on the other hand wish it was different or even berate people if they're not doing it the way you want them to do it, but you're not going to get anywhere. It's been tried - many times. It doesn't work.

Complaining about people complaining is just more complaining and will bring about more of the same. Being negative about negativity is just more negativity, but somehow people want to perceive it as a better, more noble negativity. At least I'm not putting down Rush on a Rush board you negative, complaining jerk! Real positive, right? wink.gif tongue.gif

I do understand the OP's premise of people constantly repeating themselves, but isn't that what we as human beings do? We have our views, beliefs, personalities, opinions, etc., and unless those change, we're going to remain pretty consistent. The people who love most every Rush song and most every Rush album and say nothing but positive things about Rush are just as consistent, only that's considered to be a more noble (and certainly less controversial) type of consistency and repetition, so it's accepted. It's hard to have it both ways.

I'm a major Rush fan. They're my favorite band in the world. I've loved them for 31 years. They've set an EXTREMELY high bar to live up to, and when they don't live up to it in my eyes, I'm disappointed. I'm grateful that I've found a discussion board where I can talk about what works and what doesn't work, where we can share opinions, never losing sight that they are always only opinions, and that the whole thing is supposed to be fun (at least in my mind). Sure, things get heated, but isn't that just like life too? At least it keeps it from being boring. TRF is diverse people and personalities talking about a band - the great, the good and the not so good. It's not perfect, neither is life. Do your best to enjoy it regardless! trink39.gif

schla03.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ May 10 2012, 10:55 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 10 2012, 12:53 PM)
People love to complain about criticism and negativity and think that somehow in doing so, it will somehow bring about some kind of change in consciousness and result in a fountain of positivity, a shining light in the darkness.  Prepare for disappointment if that's the case, as this is probably the 50th version of this thread (in one form or another), and nothing has changed, nor will it.  Either you like it around here enough to deal with the aspects you don't like, or you leave.  I don't mean that to sound as harsh as it probably does, but that's just reality based on history.

You can want to stay on one hand, and on the other hand wish it was different or even berate people if they're not doing it the way you want them to do it, but you're not going to get anywhere.  It's been tried - many times.  It doesn't work.

Complaining about people complaining is just more complaining and will bring about more of the same.  Being negative about negativity is just more negativity, but somehow people want to perceive it as a better, more noble negativity.  At least I'm not putting down Rush on a Rush board you negative, complaining jerk!  Real positive, right? wink.gif tongue.gif

I do understand the OP's premise of people constantly repeating themselves, but isn't that what we as human beings do?  We have our views, beliefs, personalities, opinions, etc., and unless those change, we're going to remain pretty consistent.  The people who love most every Rush song and most every Rush album and say nothing but positive things about Rush are just as consistent, only that's considered to be a more noble (and certainly less controversial) type of consistency and repetition, so it's accepted.  It's hard to have it both ways.

I'm a major Rush fan.  They're my favorite band in the world.  I've loved them for 31 years.  They've set an EXTREMELY high bar to live up to, and when they don't live up to it in my eyes, I'm disappointed.  I'm grateful that I've found a discussion board where I can talk about what works and what doesn't work, where we can share opinions, never losing sight that they are always only opinions, and that the whole thing is supposed to be fun (at least in my mind).  Sure, things get heated, but isn't that just like life too?  At least it keeps it from being boring.  TRF is diverse people and personalities talking about a band - the great, the good and the not so good.  It's not perfect, neither is life.  Do your best to enjoy it regardless! trink39.gif

schla03.gif

It's a nice way to dismiss everything I had to say, but whatever floats your boat. trink39.gif