MusicRadar: Clockwork Angels full album review

RushFanForever

Interesting note on "The Garden" - Neil lays down a "simple shuffle" That would be a fairly unique feel for Neil - though I doubt it is a Texas shuffle a la Stevie Ray Vaughn. He has certainly played some stuff in 6 with an eighth note ride - but not what I would call a pure shuffle (which is a more Blues based rhythm)

http://www.freedrumlessons.com/drum-lesson...uffle-beats.php

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 7 2012, 07:52 AM)
One of the best things I see on these reviews is that, for almost every song, the reviewer mentions an "Alex solo".

It keeps coming up over and over...and that makes me happy! 1022.gif

The only reason they abandoned it for VT was that album came out during a time when so few bands were doing solos.

Rush has always reflected whats going on around them. Well now there's a pretty big prog movement going on with many bands like C&C, Mars Volta, Mastadon I guess but I think they suck, so really anything goes right now as long as its good.

I know for a fact Rush is very well aware of this because I found out about Mars Volta in 2005 through Neil's site. He posted that he was really into their album Frances the Mute, so they are aware of whats going on right now, and I really hear those influences in the new songs. So if a solo fits in a part of a song, there's no reason not to do it now.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 7 2012, 08:35 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 7 2012, 07:52 AM)
One of the best things I see on these reviews is that, for almost every song, the reviewer mentions an "Alex solo".

It keeps coming up over and over...and that makes me happy!  1022.gif

The only reason they abandoned it for VT was that album came out during a time when so few bands were doing solos.

Rush has always reflected whats going on around them. Well now there's a pretty big prog movement going on with many bands like C&C, Mars Volta, Mastadon I guess but I think they suck, so really anything goes right now as long as its good.

I know for a fact Rush is very well aware of this because I found out about Mars Volta in 2005 through Neil's site. He posted that he was really into their album Frances the Mute, so they are aware of whats going on right now, and I really hear those influences in the new songs. So if a solo fits in a part of a song, there's no reason not to do it now.

Well there wasn't that many traditional solos on T4E and not enough on SnA either. Seems like an eternity ago that Lifeson was in solo mode so this is great news for this record. wink.gif

I don't think I'm more excited, but it's nice to get some details. I don't really agree with his description of HF, so I take the rest with a grain if salt. However, VT notwithstanding I love all of their newer albums so I'm sure I will love this one to.

It will be very interesting to hear if Neil really does a shuffle smile.gif

Was that the best review Ever or What? Seems like Clockwork Angels is just full of injcredible and inspiring moments! Can't wait to Hear:

Clockwork Angels, Halo Effect, Carnies, Seven Cities of Gold, The Wreckers, and the Garden! Ok Basically the whole album! I knew these guys could pull off what could be their best album at the end of their career!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 7 2012, 02:27 PM)
I was hoping for best since Power Windows but best since Moving Pictures will definitely work as well. Here's hoping I agree. trink39.gif The only thing that concerns me is that by description the record seems to be stylistically all over the place. That can be a good thing or bad thing. I thought SnA was VERY diverse stylistically but I felt they missed their mark on half of those tunes. Review sounds encouraging nonetheless. yes.gif

I will say hopefully best since Power Windows. To beat Signals, Grace Under Pressure....naaaa.

But you never know. cool.gif

That wasn't a review. That was some guy being paid to write about how great the album is. If his review was accurate, than CA would be a completely flawless album.

However, since I already know that 3 of the songs aren't flawless (still good, just not perfect) I'm disinclined to trust his opinion fully. I especially disagree with some of what he said about Headlong Flight. I mean, it's a good song, but they've done better. On S&A.

Purely IMO.

Still super excited! We're getting new Rush! common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ May 7 2012, 10:24 PM)
That wasn't a review. That was some guy being paid to write about how great the album is. If his review was accurate, than CA would be a completely flawless album.

However, since I already know that 3 of the songs aren't flawless (still good, just not perfect) I'm disinclined to trust his opinion fully. I especially disagree with some of what he said about Headlong Flight. I mean, it's a good song, but they've done better. On S&A.

Purely IMO.

Still super excited! We're getting new Rush! common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif

I agree with your assessment, while this is all subjective there is a thing such as taste and quality. When I listen to Rush's records I sometimes try to think from the perspective of an outsider who have never heard Rush.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 7 2012, 10:52 PM)
Am I the only one excited about hearing "The Garden" with its piano interlude and Alex's multi-dimentional throw back solo to Limelight?

confused13.gif

There is not a song I don't want to hear. Carnies supposedly contains Alex's meanest riff ever on record and Halo Effect is an instant Rush classic. Also Clockwork Angels title track is a throwback to the 70's epics. Sounds like the boys pulled out all the stops on this one. 1022.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 7 2012, 09:52 PM)
Am I the only one excited about hearing "The Garden" with its piano interlude and Alex's multi-dimentional throw back solo to Limelight?

confused13.gif

No, you aren't alone. I'm too excited for this album.

Just remember, the 'review" that we got should be taken with a grain of salt. If we get anything from Alex that even comes close to the genius of Limelight, I'll be shocked.

Basically, If this album turns out to be nearly as good as this dude describes it, I'll be shocked.

I'm hoping that I like this album more than I like VT (I really like VT). If it's that good, I'll consider it a great album.

EDIT: This post sounds really pessimistic, let me clear it up. I have very high hope for this album, and it has the potential to be better than CounterParts. I like the 3 songs I've heard already, but they aren't quite perfect. Hopefully, there will be some even better songs on the album. This could be great, or it could be mediocre. So despite my somewhat "tempered" enthusiasm, I still "can't stop thinkin' big."

facepalm.gif

Edited by Dscrapre

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ May 7 2012, 09:24 PM)

Purely IMO.

so you'd rather read about how good someone thinks the songs are?? why?? his taste is going to be different than yours... especially on Rush music.

the value in this review is we have actually discriptions of the songs, all of them.

...and that's all you should take from it!

QUOTE (MMCXII @ May 7 2012, 10:11 PM)
QUOTE (Dscrapre @ May 7 2012, 09:24 PM)

Purely IMO.

Still super excited! We're getting new Rush! common001.gif  common001.gif  common001.gif  common001.gif

so you'd rather read about how good someone thinks the songs are?? why?? his taste is going to be different than yours... especially on Rush music.

the value in this review is we have actually discriptions of the songs, all of them.

...and that's all you should take from it!

That is what I'm taking from it. I didn't really express that in my first post though.

The little tidbits of information that we got are great, and they have me really excited. I'm just skeptical about what he said about the quality of the album. For instance, he seemed to really dig the Lerxst solo in HF. I don't. So now I have to wonder what that means for the rest of the solos.

Still,I'm glad we got this sneak peek. This is going to be a rough month.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 7 2012, 11:09 PM)
I guess the only downside is that:

There isn't one Instrumental in the whole thing!

no.gif

There were three on the last one, one of which was pretty substantial in length so I suppose that's our quota for now...

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 7 2012, 11:27 PM)

no.gif

There were three on the last one, one of which was pretty substantial in length so I suppose that's our quota for now...

I know! I was hoping for at least one! regardless, there seems to be plenty of kick@ss instrumentation on all these songs that they don't really need an instrumental.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

NO! Last year I wrote on this forum that I hoped that Geddy would bring back the Piano, since it sounded so great in Permanent Waves. Maybe he read my post...Ah...Ok maybe not.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 7 2012, 10:09 PM)

no.gif

Vapor Trails is the only album in the past 20 years that *hasn't* had an instrumental, and the last one had three. The lack of an instrumental is not something to lament.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 8 2012, 12:05 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 7 2012, 10:09 PM)

no.gif

Vapor Trails is the only album in the past 20 years that *hasn't* had an instrumental, and the last one had three. The lack of an instrumental is not something to lament.

I agree. The last one had too many. This is an epic story. No need for instrumentals because many of the songs will contain instrumental passages.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 7 2012, 11:34 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 7 2012, 11:27 PM)

no.gif

I know! I was hoping for at least one! regardless, there seems to be plenty of kick@ss instrumentation on all these songs that they don't really need an instrumental.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Aye, with longer songs there has to be plenty of non-vocal parts...

trink38.gif

I hate when they always say "best album since Moving Pictures"! It seems their last 4 studio albums have been hyped this way. Never gonna fall in that trap. If it is their best since counterparts it would be a win for me. But i try to let each album stand on its own with Rush, as it is pointless to compare to classics that have been around for 30 years.

QUOTE (Steely Caress @ May 8 2012, 12:51 AM)
I hate when they always say "best album since Moving Pictures"! It seems their last 4 studio albums have been hyped this way. Never gonna fall in that trap. If it is their best since counterparts it would be a win for me. But i try to let each album stand on its own with Rush, as it is pointless to compare to classics that have been around for 30 years.

I agree that the comparisons to MP (which have been happening since HYF) get tiresome. But I also think their last few albums have been getting gradually better. IMO, since MP:

PoW ~ MP > SnA > CP ~ VT > Sig ~ RTB ~ T4E > Presto ~ GUP ~ HYF