Which song performed live.....

Gedneil Alpeart

Which Rush song performed live that you saw changed your mind the most about it for better or worse? For me, it was Stick It Out most recently. Didnt care much for the track until I saw them perform it live last year. Yeah, I saw it live before too, but some reason, seeing it performed live most recently made it click for me. Now I enjoy the original studio version a lot more.

Probably Mission on the S&A tour. I never paid that song much attention before, but since that show I've loved it.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 1 2012, 08:10 PM)
Marathon and Mission both, really. I always liked them well enough, but seeing them live elevated them both two notches on the scale.

I'm jealous. I may have missed my only chance to see Marathon live.... it's always been one of my favorites.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 1 2012, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 1 2012, 08:10 PM)
Marathon and Mission both, really. I always liked them well enough, but seeing them live elevated them both two notches on the scale.

I'm jealous. I may have missed my only chance to see Marathon live.... it's always been one of my favorites.

My wife, who is pretty much just along for the ride with me on this whole Rush thing, went with me to both stops on the Time Machine tour - she *loved* the live version of Marathon. She asked me specifically about it as we were leaving, in fact. I know she's heard the studio version at least a few times over the past 12 years we've been together (cuz... probably?), but the live version hooked her.

The concussion blast in the middle of Marathon on the last tour took the song to a whole 'nother level of epicness for me, one of the highlights from the last tour. It was one of two parts of the show (the blast during Far Cry was the other one) where I wore earplugs...and even with them on, that blast was pretty loud. (for me at least...I dunno, I could never tolerate those kinds of loud noises yet the loudness of concerts are never a problem for me.)

I've only seen Rush twice (both on the last tour) but for some odd reason, during the second show, Presto was the one that stuck out the most for me. I dunno if it was because they were tight that night or I had enjoyed that show more than the first show, but it really clicked for me that moment. It's funny because I didn't really pay too much attention to it the first time around (I only remember Alex switching guitars because a string broke/outta tune or his cable was busted during that song). Probably it was because during the entire first set I was in a state of shock of seeing my favorite band for the first time, haha.

Edited by PolarizeMe

The Big Money, Between The Wheels, and Red Sector A. Don't dig the studio tracks that much, but live these songs rock.

The Big Money is much heavier live, and Alex really seems to enjoy playing it. The keys on Between the Wheels seem softer live, making it easier for me to enjoy the song in its entirety. The solo kills live and in the studio. Red Sector A really benefits from the video accompaniment, and Ged seems to get deep into the song.

All three of these have much more passion live.

Several of the songs they did last tour were new to me, having a big gap in my Rush history like I did. So choosing Presto or Marathon isn't fair. That being the case, I have to say that Closer To The Heart really stood out for me. Edited by HowItIs

I've got a few!

Mission - wasn't until watching the S&A tour dvd that this one stood out for me, and I've loved it since.

Digital Man - though I know I'd heard it before, was caught off-guard at the S&A concert and thought it was a bouncy new song. Prefer the live version to the original!

Working Man - it's never been one of my very faves, but seeing it performed at the TM tour, with Alex shredding all crazy-like, kicked it up a few notches for me.

Where's My Thing? - haven't witnessed it live myself ( sad.gif ), but the versions I've heard (and seen on YouTube) really transcend the album version. Love the moody intro. Would love to have this one kicked out live on their tour!

Secret Touch - love this one anyway, but being sonically pummelled (in a very good way!) with this live was awesome.

Time Stand Still - I wouldn't consider the TM live version superior to the album version, but something about seeing it live kicked up the poignancy and brought tears to my eyes.

Vital Signs - love the live versions from the early 80s, when the song continues after what would have been the fade-out and Geddy gets all mellismatic with his vocals.

The Analog Kid - (Counterparts Tour) I've always liked the studio version, but just hearing it live for the first time really gave it that punch, seeing them play it with feeling, with the light show.

Definitely Presto. I always liked it as a song but seeing it live really took it to another level for me. It's now my second favourite song on Presto after The Pass. In fact I think all of the songs from Presto/RTB that were played live sounded much better live than on the studio versions. Just shows how much better those albums could have been with decent production...

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 2 2012, 03:00 PM)
From R30...Between The Wheels.

BTW was AMAZING on the S&A tour. So glad I caught that one live wub.gif Gave me new appreciation for an already beloved song.

QUOTE (New World Kid @ May 1 2012, 08:13 PM)
Between the Wheels. Not sure I'd heard it more than a dozen times before R30, now it's one of my favorite Rush songs.

Yes!!

I had P/G but the song was not even on my radar at all. It was nothing to me until I heard it live. Blew me away!! I was like "what the F@*& is this - its great". I really like it now and look forward to it every time I listen to the album.