R40: The Festival

danielmclark

Would you be up for a 10 hour Rush fest?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be up for a 10 hour Rush fest?

• Yes!
    • No!

R40 could be an actual thing directly after the CA tour, but rather than just go out on the same tour they've been doing since 1996, what about a festival?

Doors open at 11am. Rush goes on for a 2 hour set at 8pm. Let's say there's five other bands. If you're down with the idea of R40 being a festival gig, who would you want to see on the roster?

I'm thinking of bands that fit the Rush "spirit" here...

3 from 12:00-12:45 (Hard-hitting warmup band...great opener to Within Temptation last year)

Kansas from 1:00-2:30

Primus from 2:45-4:15

Porcupine Tree from 4:30-6:00

Dream Theater from 6:15-8:15

Rush from 8:30-11:15

What if they did an all day concert at the SkyDome, consisting of every song and every album in its entirety, ending with their top 5 hits. They take a break between every two or three albums, and that's the farewell show. August 14, 2014 (40 year anniversary of them opening for Uriah Heep).

confused13.gif

good idea?! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Apr 25 2012, 11:51 PM)

3 from 12:00-12:45 (Hard-hitting warmup band...great opener to Within Temptation last year)

It's ok for me, but I want every band doing 2 Rush covers in their set! And rare covers, not the standards wink.gif

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Apr 25 2012, 09:51 PM)

This would actually be a pretty okay line-up. Maybe a couple of the very best Rush tribute bands - like Camera Eye or Lotusland - too?

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Apr 26 2012, 12:31 AM)
What if they did an all day concert at the SkyDome, consisting of every song and every album in its entirety, ending with their top 5 hits. They take a break between every two or three albums, and that's the farewell show. August 14, 2014 (40 year anniversary of them opening for Uriah Heep).

confused13.gif

good idea?! 1022.gif

EVERY song? laugh.gif

Man, I would die to see that, but the boys would be dead from exhaustion about halfway through that marathon....

Sure

Fates Warning

Queensryche [only music from the first 5 albums]

Kansas

Tool

Dream Theater

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 26 2012, 02:36 PM)

I don't care to see any bands with Rush...none. Not even as a one-off.

You my friend are No fun.......................... 1287.gif

This isn't going to happen but here are some bands I would love to see touring with Rush.

Porcupine Tree(Maybe)

Skepticism

Moonlit Sailor

Opeth(Maybe)

Alcest

Lantlos

We Made God

Agalloch

Nest

Nightwish

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Apr 25 2012, 11:51 PM)

Well, I say drop Primus from 2:45-4:15 and add Triumph to this slot. Now I think we can work this out. What a better way than to have the hometown boys doing it.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Apr 26 2012, 12:31 AM)

confused13.gif

good idea?! 1022.gif

I believe Uriah Heep is still around (correct me if I am wrong).

Although I love your idea the guys just could not handle it (IMO).

So my suggestion would be as follows:

Have Uriah Heep come on around 6, let them play for 45 minutes (does not do them justice but life is not always fair).

Then, after a short break to change the stage over, let Rush come on around 7:15 and play till 11:00. I am assuming their will be some sort of break for about 15 minutes at some point. Let them open with TS, Limelight, The Spirit of Radio and Freewill. Then have them play a lot of stuff they have never played live, work "The Pass" and "Subdivisions" in to the set and close with 2112. Then let them come back for an encore of "Time Stand Still", "Closer to the Heart" and "Working Man".

Or, have a festival consisting of:

Uriah Heep

Ted Nugent

KISS

Let Rush headline. This would sort of be one last fling for Rush with the groups that made a difference to them in their early days.

Don't thing either of these would happen but either would be fun.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 26 2012, 10:16 PM)
I would be stoked for any news of a Rush festival, but I would seriously boycott it if Ted FKING Nugent were a part of it. That man is evil on an epic scale. No way he gets one penny from me.

laugh.gif

I said yes, but the more I think about it, the more I think I wouldn't have the stamina (especially outdoors in the sun), and probably wouldn't know/care for a lot of the bands who would be chosen to play with Rush.

I'd be in...for 10 Hours of RUSH.

Agreed. If they do anything for a 40th anniversary they need to do a full tour like they did with R30. Just them and no one else, the way that it should be with Rush.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 27 2012, 06:43 AM)

Agreed. If they do anything for a 40th anniversary they need to do a full tour like they did with R30. Just them and no one else, the way that it should be with Rush.

So in other words, the same old thing. Personally, I'd want something a little more special!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 27 2012, 07:47 AM)

So in other words, the same old thing. Personally, I'd want something a little more special!

Exactly wink.gif

Keep in mind doing a one off festival gig somewhere also prevents a lot of fans from going since a lot them might not have the money or spare time to travel. At least with a full tour they're giving their fans more of an opportunity to see them.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 26 2012, 09:16 PM)
I would be stoked for any news of a Rush festival, but I would seriously boycott it if Ted FKING Nugent were a part of it. That man is evil on an epic scale. No way he gets one penny from me.

I remember back in the 70's before Ted became the Sheriff of Nottingham . He wrote some cool shit and just wanted to Rock. Now , he annoys the piss out of me

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 27 2012, 06:57 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 27 2012, 07:47 AM)

Exactly wink.gif

Keep in mind doing a one off festival gig somewhere also prevents a lot of fans from going since a lot them might not have the money or spare time to travel. At least with a full tour they're giving their fans more of an opportunity to see them.

Ohh... okay, we're on different pages. When I started the thread, I wasn't clear, but I was talking about a festival tour, not a one-off show. Something like the Warped Tour or Ozzfest. You were thinking of a gig like Lollapalooza.

I'm with you, I would hate for it to be a one-off show, for exactly the reason you mentioned.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 27 2012, 07:23 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 26 2012, 09:16 PM)

I remember back in the 70's before Ted became the Sheriff of Nottingham . He wrote some cool shit and just wanted to Rock. Now , he annoys the piss out of me

Yeah. Back then, he was just crazy, and that was fine. Crazy can be fun. Somewhere along the way, he went from crazy to batshit insane and landed on full-out evil.