Headlong Flight!

losingit2k

Is Headlong flight an Epic?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Is Headlong flight an Epic?

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 21 2012, 03:01 PM)
QUOTE (guinness2112 @ Apr 21 2012, 01:55 PM)
Who ever voted no is a BIG D BAG. WE have not heard Alex play a solo like this in years. It`s a sound I`ve been waiting to here in decades. Totally different and loving it. So all you so called poser Rush fans who constantly critique the band get a life and go back to reading Rolling Stone Mag. True fans know how freaking epic this song is.

I guess 65% of the forum aren't real Rush fans then.

pokey.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Headlong Flight sounds like the end of the epic that is Clockwork Angels. We know that CA is a "hero's journey" type of story set against a steampunk background. Neil Peart told us in his blog that the "I wish I could live it all again" part was borrowed from something Freddie Gruber said near the end of his life.

As a stand alone song it feels like a summation of Rush's career up to this point much in the way that Time Stand Still was in 1987. Epic? probably not compared to the earlier epics like 2112 or Hemispheres. But if this song is the end of the Clockwork Angels song cycle then it may be more closely related to The Fountain of Lamneth and an updated version of that type of epic would be very welcome.

We'll all know in June, God willing.

Edited by drbirdsong

Oh, it's epic alright....

http://glup.me/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/epic-fail-2.jpg

Just kidding. It's a good song.

QUOTE (guinness2112 @ Apr 21 2012, 03:12 PM)
Nice comeback. What are you twelve. This forum constantly has polls that voice opinions where we rate certain aspects of this band. Cut the crap with this song is better or more epic than others. We all sound like a bunch of girls. The trio deserves better than our petty arguments for or against what ever they do. With that being said I think No one at the bridge is F.......ing Major Epic.

hey, i dont mind sounding like a girl sometimes its sexehhh smile.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 20 2012, 11:54 PM)
QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Apr 20 2012, 11:42 PM)
This song is EPIC AS FUH, I don't know what song everyone else is hearing.  fing.gif

Epic is Xanadu, 2112, The Fountain of Lamneth, Hemispheres, Cygnus X-1, Natural Science, By-tor & the Snow Dog, The Necromancer, Camera Eye.

Headlong Flight is more in the Red Barchetta catergory.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 29 2012, 12:31 AM)
I'll just be really glad when the word "epic" itself goes away.

I'm glad someone else made that statement before me. "Epic" is SOOOOO overused as an adjective. As are all of the derivatives: epicness, epicocity (ugh, even typing that one makes my fingers hurt), etc. Of course I am a old.gif .

I'm so sick of the word I didn't vote. tongue.gif But I love the song!

to me parts of the track musically indicate a kind of military/attack theme, like obviously neil's opening percussion but more specifically a section of Al's guitar around 3:52 that has a machine gun kinda riff to it like battle sounds, maybe one of those airships firing or being fired upon i dunno

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Apr 29 2012, 07:51 PM)
to me parts of the track musically indicate a kind of military/attack theme, like obviously neil's opening percussion but more specifically a section of Al's guitar around 3:52 that has a machine gun kinda riff to it like battle sounds, maybe one of those airships firing or being fired upon i dunno

confused13.gif fing.gif wacko.gif confused13.gif

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Apr 21 2012, 12:13 AM)
People who voted yes - Rush fans.

People who voted no - crack heads.

I like to crack heads but only when they are wearing head gear.

Not epic but a great tune that surprised me this deep in the game.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 30 2012, 08:09 AM)
After some thought, a slight bit of deliberation and finally a check on the definition of epic, I conclude Headlong Flight is indeed EPIC! 1287.gif 1022.gif trink38.gif 2.gif

Ok, you think the song is epic - no argument here. But is it AN epic? It's an entirely different question. wink.gif