Should Geddy expand upon the Yodeling

LeaveMyThingAlone

So as the numerous exciting rumors are talked about regarding Clockwork Angels, I feel we should talk about perhaps the most exciting rumor out there...that Geddy will expand upon the Yodeling we heard on The Bravest Face...

In fact, one rumor was that one of the tunes on Clockwork Angels will feature only Geddy yodeling for 3:30...very interesting stuff

So to the Rush Forum members I ask....in favor? Against? Indifferent?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Neil should not be doing the double bass riff he has used numerous time now starting wiht 'OLV'..then 'We Hold On'...then 'Working Man' Live.

We get it...its becoming too much of a "go to" drum groove.

Also no more Dave Weckl...no more...used it again on Armor and Sword...we get it...you like Daves groove from Buddy Rich...we get it.

yodeling...hmm. Well how about some Noire spoken parts like Double Agent?

i think the intro to Caravan should be redone also...the guitar "fffuurr...fffuurr...fffuurr.....................fffuurr...fffuurr...fffuurr....................." thing sounds too plodding.....something there needs to change wihtout completely forshadowing the riff to come.

no more farting bass either....ala Peaceable kingdom...

Edited by druid13

QUOTE (druid13 @ Mar 23 2012, 02:13 PM)
I think Neil should not be doing the double bass riff he has used numerous time now starting wiht 'OLV'..then 'We Hold On'...then 'Working Man' Live.

We get it...its becoming too much of a "go to" drum groove.

Also no more Dave Weckl...no more...used it again on Armor and Sword...we get it...you like Daves groove from Buddy Rich...we get it.

yodeling...hmm. Well how about some Noire spoken parts like Double Agent?

i think the intro to Caravan should be redone also...the guitar "fffuurr...fffuurr...fffuurr.....................fffuurr...fffuurr...fffuurr....................." thing sounds too plodding.....something there needs to change wihtout completely forshadowing the riff to come.

no more farting bass either....ala Peaceable kingdom...

Ridiculous post. Neil has never been a double bass player until recently and I think it's cool that he is throwing in more double bass grooves and fills. Want to say he's over used something bring up his signature ride pattern but he has not over used double bass. You must be thinking of Mike Portnoy.

No don't misunderstand...Double Bass? Yes

Exact same double bass groove orginally written for OLV ( signature groove) popping up all the time? Not so good.

I am all for him coming up with new DB stuff.

Portnoy not the only guy guilty of that though.

Actually I heard that they were all switching instruments for the whole album and tour. Neil is playing Guitar, Geddy is playing drums and Alex is playing bass and singing. cool10.gif

QUOTE (druid13 @ Mar 23 2012, 02:32 PM)
No don't misunderstand...Double Bass? Yes

Exact same double bass groove orginally written for OLV ( signature groove) popping up all the time? Not so good.

I am all for him coming up with new DB stuff.

Portnoy not the only guy guilty of that though.

The double bass groove from OLV is sixteenth notes on bass drum with sixteenth note roll on snare drum(with various accents of right and left hand) while reaching over and accenting the 1,2,3, and 4 on the second hi-hat. One of the coolest and trickiest things Neil has ever come up with. I learned this groove a while back(it is tricky to get right feel and keep smooth) . Where has he copied this in another song? He hasn't. you're just talking about double bass onslaughts at the end of songs or at fadeouts.(and then he's not doing the same hand patterns) Totally sounds cool in those situations.

Edited by presto123

As long as it's sounds Better than S&A , he can Fart an entire song

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Mar 23 2012, 02:54 PM)
No.

And there needs to be A LOT less guitar, bass and drums.

WHAT?! confused13.gif no.gif no.gif 062802puke_prv.gif dazed025.gif 1287.gif fing.gif

I want more guitar solos and everything else can be how the band wants it.

EDIT: And I just listened to Bravest Face, where is the yodeling?

Edited by GeddyLeeFender

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Mar 23 2012, 05:32 PM)
No.

WHAT?! confused13.gif no.gif no.gif 062802puke_prv.gif dazed025.gif 1287.gif fing.gif

listen again dude. there's major yodeling going on.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 23 2012, 05:42 PM)
No.

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 23 2012, 02:47 PM)

The double bass groove from OLV is sixteenth notes on bass drum with sixteenth note roll on snare drum(with various accents of right and left hand) while reaching over and accenting the 1,2,3, and 4 on the second hi-hat. One of the coolest and trickiest things Neil has ever come up with. I learned this groove a while back(it is tricky to get right feel and keep smooth) . Where has he copied this in another song? He hasn't.

He does the first incarnation of that on T4E (that one is much cooler and more difficult IMO)...but OLV is a pure bad ass power play.

But since he really started using double bass work (also around T4E but most obviously with VT) he has used the well worn "double bass + cymbal" licks everywhere...which is cool I guess but every other drummer started doing that years ago. He sounds less like Peart and more like the next guy on the cover of Modern Drummer.

Not so much a criticism but just an observation. But it's obvious he's a bum and doesn't try anymore.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Mar 23 2012, 07:14 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 23 2012, 02:47 PM)

The double bass groove from OLV is sixteenth notes on bass drum with sixteenth note roll on snare drum(with various accents of right and left hand) while reaching over and accenting the 1,2,3, and 4 on the second hi-hat. One of the coolest and trickiest things Neil has ever come up with. I learned this groove a while back(it is tricky to get right feel and keep smooth) . Where has he copied this in another song? He hasn't.

He does the first incarnation of that on T4E (that one is much cooler and more difficult IMO)...but OLV is a pure bad ass power play.

But since he really started using double bass work (also around T4E but most obviously with VT) he has used the well worn "double bass + cymbal" licks everywhere...which is cool I guess but every other drummer started doing that years ago. He sounds less like Peart and more like the next guy on the cover of Modern Drummer.

Not so much a criticism but just an observation. But it's obvious he's a bum and doesn't try anymore.

Thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot there is double bass on T4E because I always skip the title track lately. There are some really cool fills integrating double bass on songs like Totem as well. I like the double stroke rolls(hands) into cymbal crashes on Driven too. Good stuff 1022.gif

Edited by presto123

QUOTE (druid13 @ Mar 23 2012, 02:13 PM)

Caravan IS part of a series of songs on the new album so maybe that intro will flow better in context. Maybe..

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 23 2012, 05:42 PM)
No.

Indeed