Neil's Tales From The Trail, Need your opinions

aviateur55

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil will never change. That's just who he is. He will only meet with fans on "his" terms. I actually don't think I would ever want to meet him. He is the sole reason I started playing drums and I'm sure the meeting or exchange would not live up to expectations even if you didn't act like a fanboy. A friend of mine was a HUGE Gene Simmons fan and after he met him and Gene blew him off he was devastated. Don't think I would be devastated with a bad encounter with Neil but I also wouldn't want to feel like I was walking on eggshells during to conversation either. Edited by presto123

aviateur55 please don't take this the wrong way, but he does not owe you anything. This subject has come up a lot on this forum and I'm sure it will again, but Neil is Neil. He is like a rock and he doesn't change very much. I think that he has done a good job of explaining that he is very shy and cringes when fans start fawning over him. I've been a little miffed at his attitude towards fans myself at times, but you cannot make a person fit the mold you have for them.

For every 100 awesome and kind fans out there, there is 1 over zealous insane one, who would probably totally freak him out and would be cause for concern. How would he be able to tell the difference?

I read somewhere i forget, something that summed it up pretty well. To a FAN of this person- any sort of acknowledgement, (head nod, hand shake, wave, etc) will be mistaken for some kind of invitation for further engagement.

He chooses to interact with us in a very personal way. Through is blog writing and books. We have in sites to him that many fans of other bands do not. And for this we should be grateful. He is also telling us VERY CLEARLY how he hopes we would react if we ever came upon him in public. There should be no more surprise at this point.

He has every right to protect his space. Both emotional and physical. More power to him.

Edited by JackRelax

Some people will never understand. Neil is shy in certain situations.

IT'S NOT A CHOICE, IT'S A CONDITION!

Fans don't worry, he appreciates you. He's just uncomfortable...

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Mar 2 2012, 04:28 AM)
All opinions previously stated seem correct. That's just how he is, he doesn't want to be slobbered on. Fans are goons, and can act like slobbering idiots.

I honestly hope I never run into him, because I know it'd be terribly hard for me to resist introducing myself and paying him a compliment, and I'd probably walk away really disappointed by the interaction.

Then again, knowing what I know I'd probably exercise self-control and not say anything to him. I'd still walk away disappointed, but probably less so.

All that said, he's entitled to be himself and not want to interact with fans. It doesn't change my enjoyment of their music one iota.

QUOTE (JackRelax @ Mar 2 2012, 02:46 AM)
For every 100 awesome and kind fans out there, there is 1 over zealous insane one, who would probably totally freak him out and would be cause for concern. How would he be able to tell the difference?

I read somewhere i forget, something that summed it up pretty well. To a FAN of this person- any sort of acknowledgement, (head nod, hand shake, wave, etc) will be mistaken for some kind of invitation for further engagement.

He chooses to interact with us in a very personal way. Through is blog writing and books. We have in sites to him that many fans of other bands do not. And for this we should be grateful. He is also telling us VERY CLEARLY how he hopes we would react if we ever came upon him in public. There should be no more surprise at this point.

He has every right to protect his space. Both emotional and physical. More power to him.

goodpost.gif

While I can understand "fans" having an adverse reaction to Neil when they first hear him talk about how he doesn't like meeting fans, I think if you read his books and what he explains even on BTLS, he just isn't comfortable doing what Alex and Geddy do with the fans. I know when I became a fan (1990 at the age of 20) I wanted to meet Neil and didn't understand why he was so against it. But after reading his books and hearing interviews from him, Geddy and Alex over the years, I totally understand and respect him and the way he feels. And from MP back in 1981 he tells us in those legendary lyrics "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend".

It's funny that Neil shares so much personal info, and I mean DEEP personal info in his books, on his website and in his lyrics, but for some reason some "fans" want more. Actually, by reading Neil's books and website, we know Neil better than we do Alex or Geddy. And I have met both Alex and Geddy at a meet and greet and in a hotel in the lobby (different times in the lobby). They were both extremely nice and I didn't "rush" over to them and crowd them, I just said something to the effect of "thanks so much for the great music". I think if you saw Neil and said that to him and just walked away, he would be fine. I think it's the people who make a scene or chase down his tour bus after shows or crowd him and when he is just trying to go about his day just makes him feel uncomfortable. I respect him for being honest and again, for sharing as much as he does with his lyrics, books and website. I don't know what else people want or expect from him at this point. confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 2 2012, 07:38 AM)
QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Mar 2 2012, 04:28 AM)
All opinions previously stated seem correct. That's just how he is, he doesn't want to be slobbered on. Fans are goons, and can act like slobbering idiots.

I honestly hope I never run into him, because I know it'd be terribly hard for me to resist introducing myself and paying him a compliment, and I'd probably walk away really disappointed by the interaction.

Then again, knowing what I know I'd probably exercise self-control and not say anything to him. I'd still walk away disappointed, but probably less so.

All that said, he's entitled to be himself and not want to interact with fans. It doesn't change my enjoyment of their music one iota.

I bet if it was a casual situation and you just saw him somewhere, let's say an art gallery, and he was alone and you just walked up and said "I just wanted to thank you for all the great years of music" and then just started to walk away, you might be surprised. But if he was standing there with his wife and you made your way thru the crowd and said "Neil, I am your biggest fan. Your the greatest drummer to ever live. Can I have your autograph", I think you'd probably be really disappointed.

If I ever saw him in a natural situation I would definitely just say "thanks for the great years of music" and leave it at that. I wouldn't even stick out my hand to shake or pause for him to respond. I'd just let him know and move on. I think if you did that, you'd possibly end up in one of his blogs as being a good "fan" and not a "bad" one as he has written about many times.

Remember, the word fan is short for "Fanatic".

I see no reason to be insulted by Neil's attitude regarding fans. You're basically looking for a personal interaction. When it comes to his personal and private life, don't you think that HE should decide who he interacts with and what form those interactions take? Every celebrity decides how they will interact with fans and where the line is that a fan can't cross. In fact, it's the same with us non-celebrities. We all decide who we interact with and how, when and where. Think of the last time you felt like someone intruded on your private life or personal space. It could be something as simple as a telemarketer calling at diner time or someone at your door selling whatever. We know that Neil is a very private man and he deserves to be as private as he wants to be. If you run into him somewhere and choose to go against his wishes and bother him then YOU are in the wrong.

Years ago i wanted to meet him . After reading about him for years , i don't want to anymore .

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 2 2012, 10:13 AM)
Years ago i wanted to meet him . After reading about him for years , i don't want to anymore .

same here. I find a lot of his stuff to be repetitive. I do share his enthusiasm for riding a bike and traveling, but my interest would involve myself doing it, not reading about somebody else's experiences. Kind of like tennis, it's a fun game to play, but to watch others play is incredibly boring (to me, anyway). Neil is too much of a stranger for me to want to be friends with.

I think Alex or Geddy would be more enjoyable to hang out with. I'm not into baseball, but somehow I became intrigued with Geddy's interest in it and how he views the sport as a classic and antiquated passtime.

And golf is something I'd thought of trying so it's nice to hear Alex talk about hitting balls on the green.

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Mar 2 2012, 09:14 AM)
I see no reason to be insulted by Neil's attitude regarding fans. You're basically looking for a personal interaction. When it comes to his personal and private life, don't you think that HE should decide who he interacts with and what form those interactions take? Every celebrity decides how they will interact with fans and where the line is that a fan can't cross. In fact, it's the same with us non-celebrities. We all decide who we interact with and how, when and where. Think of the last time you felt like someone intruded on your private life or personal space. It could be something as simple as a telemarketer calling at diner time or someone at your door selling whatever. We know that Neil is a very private man and he deserves to be as private as he wants to be. If you run into him somewhere and choose to go against his wishes and bother him then YOU are in the wrong.

You got it!

We fans need to show our respect by keeping our distance and not bothering them or freaking out over them. And maybe someday you'll get lucky. I'm sure they do not like to have fans screaming at them and swarming them. We need to respect their space and privacy.

(TheBluePhoenix @ Mar 2 2012, 09:14 AM)

Exactly! Right on BluePhoenix!

Icechuckers?

Do you think Neeeeel finds this offensive?

http://images.wikia.com/southpark/images/9/9f/1204_ike_in_front_of_house.jpg

In Pumpy's opinion......

Geddy and Alex's sense of humor is natural.

Neil's sense of humor looks forced and plastic!

Edited by PumpkinHead

Riddle me this then;- how come he's so eager to talk to or meet people who inspire him or he admires. He ain't so shy then. What does he call it? The praise of the praiseworthy. I simply find this position contradictory. If Neil is a fan he wants to communicate. If you're a fan piss off and leave me alone confused13.gif

QUOTE (Sin City @ Mar 2 2012, 01:47 PM)
Riddle me this then;- how come he's so eager to talk to or meet people who inspire him or he admires. He ain't so shy then. What does he call it? The praise of the praiseworthy. I simply find this position contradictory. If Neil is a fan he wants to communicate. If you're a fan piss off and leave me alone confused13.gif

Can you sight or source an example of this?

This is simple. If you have read his work or watched interviews, he doesn't mind simple, kind, direct and polite praise: "I like your work..." etc. What he objects to is making a scene, gawking and being rude, invasvive and obnoxious.

Most fans can't grasp this for some reason. If you are tactful, you've got nothing to worry about.

Can anyone answer if Neil signs the stuff that people send in ahead of time to concert venues or just Alex and Geddy? This discussion has made me curious (and it reminds me that next tour I really need to send in my Hemispheres CD booklet).

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Mar 2 2012, 02:15 PM)
Riddle me this then;- how come he's so eager to talk to or meet people who inspire him or he admires. He ain't so shy then. What does he call it? The praise of the praiseworthy.  I simply find this position contradictory. If Neil is a fan he wants to communicate. If you're a fan piss off and leave me alone confused13.gif

Can you sight or source an example of this?

Read his books and blogs!! Lots of examples of him wanting to talk to people he admires/respects. Whats the difference here? He's a fan and wants to communicate but if it's a rush fan approaching him we are somehow unhinged and/or wanting something from him. Double standards and inverted snobbery of the worst kind. Read his account of his encounter with Charlie Watts from the Rolling Stones at Sarstock. He's almost about to tell Charlie to go f**k himself until he realises- OMG it's Charlie Watts of the Stones. A band he was less than complimentary about in Travelling Music. The truth is out there.