The Alien Thread

Nate2112

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tel @ Feb 29 2012, 02:35 PM)
Another popular theory is that the earth was bombarded with hundreds or possibly thousands of asteroids which carried micro organisms to earth and that we propogated our fair planet in this way.
If this were true ofcourse that would make us aliens ourselves wacko.gif

I find it interesting that so many scientists try to hypothsize alternative explanations for how life developed on Earth. It's almost as if they don't want the simplest answer (that it happened right here on Earth) to be true. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Mar 1 2012, 11:33 AM)
Another popular theory is that the earth was bombarded with hundreds or possibly thousands of asteroids which carried micro organisms to earth and that we propogated our fair planet in this way.

I find it interesting that so many scientists try to hypothsize alternative explanations for how life developed on Earth. It's almost as if they don't want the simplest answer (that it happened right here on Earth) to be true. ohmy.gif

I think that it is natural to look for a catalyst.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 1 2012, 09:34 PM)

That's what I'm thinking

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 1 2012, 07:37 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 1 2012, 09:34 PM)

That's what I'm thinking

I agree. It's perfectly natural to do that. Looking for other possibilities is part of science. Still, the fact that we cannot prove exactly how life originated must frustrate a lot of people - including scientists. They're looking for answers, but can't travel back billions of years to find them.

I know it pisses me off...... angry.gif

I believe somewhere out there exists other intelligent life. Not sure where, but if they can make it to our planet, they would remain invisible to us. Why? Given the age of the Universe, it is entirely possible that much advanced intelligent life exists and would understand the importance of not interfering.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 1 2012, 10:35 PM)
I believe somewhere out there exists other intelligent life. Not sure where, but if they can make it to our planet, they would remain invisible to us. Why? Given the age of the Universe, it is entirely possible that much advanced intelligent life exists and would understand the importance of not interfering.

There's no reason to believe that just because the universe is about 14 billion years old, intelligent aliens would follow Star Trek's Prime Directive

wink.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 1 2012, 09:53 AM)

There's no reason to believe that just because the universe is about 14 billion years old, intelligent aliens would follow Star Trek's Prime Directive

wink.gif

Well, derka der! That's where Gene Roddenberry got it from! It was subplanted into his mind by the aliens.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Mar 1 2012, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Feb 29 2012, 10:05 AM)
I just watched this episode of "Ancient Aliens"

Whatever happened to actual history being shown on the History Channel?

Trust me, Ancient Aliens is one of the last shows that has ANYTHING to do with history on that channel. sad.gif I guess that Pawn Stars would take the other slot, when they're actually focusing on the items and not the weird family drama.

In primetime, it's really gone downhill. If you want the classic History channel shows you have to get History International... H2, I think it's called. Not quite sure.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 1 2012, 08:53 AM)

wink.gif

Indeed. We can make no assumptions whatsoever regarding how an advanced species would view us or do with us. They could:

Ignore us. (as we're too primitive)

Make contact and be civil.

Be disgusted by us and leave.

Harvest us for food. (It's a COOK BOOK! IT'S A COOK BOOK!.... ohmy.gif tongue.gif )

Destroy us and take the planet

Invade and rule over us

etc., etc.

All possible outcomes are valid.

The above post is full of win. biggrin.gif

Or we could have parasitical snake aliens

that take humans as hosts by wrapping around their spinal cords

and then declare themselves as gods

and enslave us all.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Mar 1 2012, 08:17 PM)
The above post is full of win. biggrin.gif

Or we could have parasitical snake aliens
that take humans as hosts by wrapping around their spinal cords
and then declare themselves as gods
and enslave us all.

ohmy.gif

That's my fear

My greatest fear is that of the Earth being blown up to make room for an interstellar highway......but that's just me. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Mar 3 2012, 08:33 AM)
My greatest fear is that of the Earth being blown up to make room for an interstellar highway......but that's just me. ohmy.gif

That is a most legitimate fear.

I hope you know where your towel is!

And if your house is about to get bulldozed, just remembered that worse things can happen!

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Mar 3 2012, 11:16 AM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Mar 3 2012, 08:33 AM)
My greatest fear is that of the Earth being blown up to make room for an interstellar highway......but that's just me.  ohmy.gif

That is a most legitimate fear.

I hope you know where your towel is!

And if your house is about to get bulldozed, just remembered that worse things can happen!

my favorite series ever

I find it much more plausible that "aliens" are our future descendants time-traveling back to their past. Interstellar travel is only practical if you can overcome the distances by using wormholes, etc.

I still think there are numerous intelligent species in the universe however I think the vast distances involved limit interaction. Unless advanced life is very, very common in the universe, it is probably widely scattered and interaction unlikely.

Time travel is no easy endeavor either. We theorize the energy needed would be the entire energy output of our galaxy over its entire lifetime. That is a LOT of energy.

Inter-dimensional travel is another possibility but even less likely.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Mar 4 2012, 10:49 AM)
I find it much more plausible that "aliens" are our future descendants time-traveling back to their past. Interstellar travel is only practical if you can overcome the distances by using wormholes, etc.

I still think there are numerous intelligent species in the universe however I think the vast distances involved limit interaction. Unless advanced life is very, very common in the universe, it is probably widely scattered and interaction unlikely.

Time travel is no easy endeavor either. We theorize the energy needed would be the entire energy output of our galaxy over its entire lifetime. That is a LOT of energy.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Mar 5 2012, 12:49 AM)
I find it much more plausible that "aliens" are our future descendants time-traveling back to their past.  Interstellar travel is only practical if you can overcome the distances by using wormholes, etc.

I still think there are numerous intelligent species in the universe however I think the vast distances involved limit interaction.  Unless advanced life is very, very common in the universe, it is probably widely scattered and interaction unlikely.

Time travel is no easy endeavor either.  We theorize the energy needed would be the entire energy output of our galaxy over its entire lifetime.  That is a LOT of energy.

So, time traveling future descendents coming to see us is "much more plausible" than interstellar aliens because "the energy needed [for time travel] would be the entire energy output of our galaxy over its entire lifetime" ? huh.gif

Huh? What? huh.gif

"Do aliens exist" and "are we alone on the planet" are two very different questions. To say that we are the only intelligent species in the entire universe is silly - to say that other life is definitely not out there is making a very, very illogical assumption. There is a nearly infinite number of worlds inhabiting an infinite amount of space, but this little mudball is the only place intelligent life has popped up over the entire life of the universe?

And to use the argument, "well, if there's other life why haven't they found us yet?" is ridiculous because you might as well be challenging someone to find a specific grain of sand on a beach. Just because we haven't been found yet (at least during our recorded history, which is a speck of dust on the interstellar timeline) doesn't mean that we're alone.

There's only one thing that is served by the promotion of the idea that we're alone - religion. Because as soon as the aliens show up, religion is out the window. All of it. Religious leaders have a very compelling reason to keep people believing we're alone.