Another Van Halen thread

Gompers

I should go back and revisit my VH collection, but last night I listened to the title track to 5150 and really listened to all the guitar work Eddie was doing.

Amazing song with many different parts. If it had an odd time sig, it could almost be Prog, IMO.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jan 13 2012, 09:37 AM)
I think my favorite VH song would probably be Little Guitars.

One of my favs too!

Here is Van Halens most talented singer. Like it or not, he is!!!

1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 13 2012, 09:49 AM)
Those are both great choices for his playing. (Part of why I think both albums are a bit underrated too).

For all his lead work, Eddie is so often overlooked as a rhythm player. I think his rhythm chops are probably MORE interesting.

goodpost.gif

5150 is my second favorite record, after VH ll.

Cherone is not their most "talented" singer. Sammy clearly has the most talent.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jan 13 2012, 09:07 AM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Jan 13 2012, 09:37 AM)

One of my favs too!

Yeah, that was gonna be my choice too. I think there is a lot of creativity on the non-cover Diver Down tracks. Cathedrals -> Secrets is amazing... especially when you see how he played it.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jan 13 2012, 11:24 AM)
Cathedrals -> Secrets is amazing... especially when you see how he played it.

^ Cathedral into Secrets is one of the best one-two punches on any album, period...

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 13 2012, 11:18 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 13 2012, 09:49 AM)
Those are both great choices for his playing.  (Part of why I think both albums are a bit underrated too).

For all his lead work, Eddie is so often overlooked as a rhythm player.  I think his rhythm chops are probably MORE interesting.

goodpost.gif

+1

in some respects, very much like Lifeson (lots going on within those 'riffs')

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jan 13 2012, 09:27 AM)
I should go back and revisit my VH collection, but last night I listened to the title track to 5150 and really listened to all the guitar work Eddie was doing.

Amazing song with many different parts. If it had an odd time sig, it could almost be Prog, IMO.

That, and Inside, are my two favorite songs from 5150.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 13 2012, 12:20 PM)

I totally do not agree. His work with Extreme is far better then any vocal work Sammy has done, imo.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jan 13 2012, 11:43 AM)

I totally do not agree. His work with Extreme is far better then any vocal work Sammy has done, imo.

He was good with Extreme. I really liked his voice work on the "III Sides..." album

I just couldn't get past him with VH. Maybe I will give another listen.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jan 13 2012, 11:43 AM)

I loves AVH's drums in 5150 a lot

Is "Inside" really a song? It's just a bunch of guys being crazy biggrin.gif I absolutely HATED that track at first, but I really do like it now. I guess there's hope for "Tattoo" with me smile.gif

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jan 13 2012, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Jan 13 2012, 11:43 AM)

He was good with Extreme. I really liked his voice work on the "III Sides..." album

I just couldn't get past him with VH. Maybe I will give another listen.

I am a huge Extreme fan and yes his work on 3 sides is superb! I challenge anyone to say any of Sammy's vocal work is as good as Cherone on that album.

Ironically as big a Cherone fan as I am, I never even gave his album with Van Halen a listen.

I was too busy with my own band at the time. I was writing material and also learning covers so music in 1998 for me was all business at the time.

All these years later I have never heard anything complimentary about that Van Halen album. Its hard for me to believe it was really that bad?

QUOTE (Tick @ Jan 13 2012, 12:43 PM)

Cherone has a better voice. I think Hagar is a better all around musician though.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jan 13 2012, 01:21 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Jan 13 2012, 12:43 PM)

Cherone has a better voice. I think Hagar is a better all around musician though.

I don't disagree with that. I'm speaking purely as a vocalist. He is the best of the 3 of them.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jan 13 2012, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jan 13 2012, 11:43 AM)

I loves AVH's drums in 5150 a lot

Is "Inside" really a song? It's just a bunch of guys being crazy biggrin.gif I absolutely HATED that track at first, but I really do like it now. I guess there's hope for "Tattoo" with me smile.gif

I love the "bass" line of Inside, although I'm not certain its actually a bass playing, and I always though it had a "Van Halenish" feel to it. Yeah, if you could warm up to that, you'll come around on Tattoo. smile.gif

I don't mind taking heat! wink.gif

Hmmm...most 'creative'? I don't know if it's the MOST creative, but I always found it to be great...

SOURCE OF INFECTION

Sure, there are obviously better songs overall. But I've always loved this song since day one. It's just a FUN song.

The lyrics are mainly nonsense and random one-syllable shout-outs by Sammy, but between the clever use of those random sayings, fantastic vocal harmonies, and typical amazing guitar work by Eddie, I find it to be a song that worked, despite what it looked like on paper.

I also think it's a song that would've worked during the DLR era as well.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jan 13 2012, 06:37 AM)

"Senorita I'm in trouble again and I can't get free."

My favorite song off of "Diver Down!"

As for most "creative" Van Halen song I have to with "Sunday Afternoon In The Park."

For decades I always thought that song was merely centered around the bass. Well then I read that it was the first time Eddie experimented with synthesizers. I was totally fooled! I thought that Eddie didn't become interested in keyboards until the "1984" record.