Neil Peart News Updated

Tony R

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 15 2012, 11:26 PM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Jan 15 2012, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 15 2012, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Jan 15 2012, 07:05 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 15 2012, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 15 2012, 04:05 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 14 2012, 11:48 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 12 2012, 02:05 AM)
I really wish that the people who hate Neil and his beliefs - or lack thereof - would just ignore any thread mentioning his name. Really. It's so very tedious to read the same whining over and over again. The guy doesn't believe like you do: DEAL WITH IT and move on. /rant

That's not the issue...

Then, pray tell, what IS the issue? As I see it - and apparently I am not alone - there is a contingent here that always whines about whatever Neil has written lately. Doesn't matter whether it's a song or an article or a book.... You don't like the fact that he mentions anything negative about your religion. Well guess what? Your religion is ubiquitous. Non-Christians constantly have to hear about it, have it referred to and deal with it every. Single. Day. If Neil, like many of us who do not adhere to that faith, gets a little frustrated with that, you can either ignore it or make a big deal out of it. Too many here LOVE to make a big deal out of it. Because that makes you feel like you are the wronged party, instead of the rest of us who have to live around your religion.

I have mentioned before that as far as BU2B is concerned, it is part of a STORY. As such, to project your bias onto it is grossly unfair. Maybe the "Watchmaker" is not the being you assume it to be. Maybe he is the ruler of the society in the story. Or something else entirely. How the hell do you know? No, it's so much more comforting to make the assumption you have made. So you can be all outraged. Again. I re-iterate - get over it.

The thing is, that is still not the issue. Im a Christian. I would consider myself pretty strong in my belief. Sure, I like to hear things that reinforce that, but I cannot stand Christian rock bands. Do you know why? It is because they sing about the exact same things every song. When I listen to music, I want variety. I want it to make me think. That's what I love(d) about Rush. Every song was different. Every one was unique. Each lyrical composition took my mind in a new direction. But with S&A there were what, four, five, six songs bashing religion? Honestly, it's getting really old. You probably don't mind because it reinforces your belief, but if CA comes out and it is all anti-religion, I will be incredibly disappointed, and I can promise you I won't be the only one. It is clear Neil has run out of imaginative lyrics. He has gone from philosophical speculation to directly telling me I am wrong for believing what I do. How would you like it if Rush started writing pro-Christian anti-atheist lyrics? Would you not want to express your opinion on it? Would you not be disappointed with this sudden religious turn? Would you not be offended when people tell you "well shut up and don't complain. If you don't want to hear it don't listen to it"?

And no, it is not unfair of me to assume that it will be about religion. It is not about my personal bias. It is an educated guess based on both their last album and what Neil has been writing about. But oh wait, I forgot, religious people don't know to use their brains.

It's interesting that it bothers you so much but you don't really know how many songs on the album put down religion.

There are 13 tracks on S&A. I see three as being critical of religion: (1) Far Cry, (2) The Way the Wind Blows, and (3) Faithless. IMO, Armor and Sword is about religion but is somewhat neutral, discussing good and bad.

3 or 13 tracks is not a thematic domination. It is a definite minority. My sense is that ANY number of songs critical of religion would bother you.

I don't listen to the album because I have much better things to do. I do however enjoy the instrumentals, and even of those MalNar has a music video that is critical of religion as a whole.

My sense is that ANY number of songs critical of religion would bother you.

Well of course it would bother me, but if there were one track, would I be "whining" about it? No. Not until the point when it gets redundant and I get tired of being beaten over the head with his philosophy of "religion is wrong".

A couple points.

MalNar is obviously an instrumental. The video was created by a fan. Rush had nothing to do with its production. The band has adopted because they like it.

Far Cry, The Way the Wind Blows, and Faithless are only redundant in the broadest possible thematic sense. They deal with different perspectives and points-of-view.

You don't listen to S&A for the same reason that I don't listen to sermons. The difference is that I don't bitch and moan about a Preacher's message.

That's not the only difference. I've said this before. The preacher already has an established fan base. They listen to him because they expect to hear a certain thing. With Rush, I expect Neil to create powerful, thought-provoking lyrics like he used to. When he doesn't do that and spoon feeds us by beating us over the head with his point of view. Something is expected of the preacher, and he delivers. Something is expected of Neil, and he doesn't. It's all about expectations.

That is a matter of opinion. Neil has been writing about the personal and societal role that religion has for decades. It is definitely not a new theme.

I would argue that the lyrics that offend you ARE thought-provoking. You just don't like the thoughts or, perhaps, what they provoke.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Jan 16 2012, 07:19 AM)
I really wish that the people who hate Neil and his beliefs - or lack thereof - would just ignore any thread mentioning his name. Really. It's so very tedious to read the same whining over and over again. The guy doesn't believe like you do: DEAL WITH IT and move on. /rant

That's not the issue...

Then, pray tell, what IS the issue? As I see it - and apparently I am not alone - there is a contingent here that always whines about whatever Neil has written lately. Doesn't matter whether it's a song or an article or a book.... You don't like the fact that he mentions anything negative about your religion. Well guess what? Your religion is ubiquitous. Non-Christians constantly have to hear about it, have it referred to and deal with it every. Single. Day. If Neil, like many of us who do not adhere to that faith, gets a little frustrated with that, you can either ignore it or make a big deal out of it. Too many here LOVE to make a big deal out of it. Because that makes you feel like you are the wronged party, instead of the rest of us who have to live around your religion.

I have mentioned before that as far as BU2B is concerned, it is part of a STORY. As such, to project your bias onto it is grossly unfair. Maybe the "Watchmaker" is not the being you assume it to be. Maybe he is the ruler of the society in the story. Or something else entirely. How the hell do you know? No, it's so much more comforting to make the assumption you have made. So you can be all outraged. Again. I re-iterate - get over it.

The thing is, that is still not the issue. Im a Christian. I would consider myself pretty strong in my belief. Sure, I like to hear things that reinforce that, but I cannot stand Christian rock bands. Do you know why? It is because they sing about the exact same things every song. When I listen to music, I want variety. I want it to make me think. That's what I love(d) about Rush. Every song was different. Every one was unique. Each lyrical composition took my mind in a new direction. But with S&A there were what, four, five, six songs bashing religion? Honestly, it's getting really old. You probably don't mind because it reinforces your belief, but if CA comes out and it is all anti-religion, I will be incredibly disappointed, and I can promise you I won't be the only one. It is clear Neil has run out of imaginative lyrics. He has gone from philosophical speculation to directly telling me I am wrong for believing what I do. How would you like it if Rush started writing pro-Christian anti-atheist lyrics? Would you not want to express your opinion on it? Would you not be disappointed with this sudden religious turn? Would you not be offended when people tell you "well shut up and don't complain. If you don't want to hear it don't listen to it"?

And no, it is not unfair of me to assume that it will be about religion. It is not about my personal bias. It is an educated guess based on both their last album and what Neil has been writing about. But oh wait, I forgot, religious people don't know to use their brains.

It's interesting that it bothers you so much but you don't really know how many songs on the album put down religion.

There are 13 tracks on S&A. I see three as being critical of religion: (1) Far Cry, (2) The Way the Wind Blows, and (3) Faithless. IMO, Armor and Sword is about religion but is somewhat neutral, discussing good and bad.

3 or 13 tracks is not a thematic domination. It is a definite minority. My sense is that ANY number of songs critical of religion would bother you.

I don't listen to the album because I have much better things to do. I do however enjoy the instrumentals, and even of those MalNar has a music video that is critical of religion as a whole.

Well of course it would bother me, but if there were one track, would I be "whining" about it? No. Not until the point when it gets redundant and I get tired of being beaten over the head with his philosophy of "religion is wrong".

A couple points.

MalNar is obviously an instrumental. The video was created by a fan. Rush had nothing to do with its production. The band has adopted because they like it.

Far Cry, The Way the Wind Blows, and Faithless are only redundant in the broadest possible thematic sense. They deal with different perspectives and points-of-view.

You don't listen to S&A for the same reason that I don't listen to sermons. The difference is that I don't bitch and moan about a Preacher's message.

That's not the only difference. I've said this before. The preacher already has an established fan base. They listen to him because they expect to hear a certain thing. With Rush, I expect Neil to create powerful, thought-provoking lyrics like he used to. When he doesn't do that and spoon feeds us by beating us over the head with his point of view. Something is expected of the preacher, and he delivers. Something is expected of Neil, and he doesn't. It's all about expectations.

That is a matter of opinion. Neil has been writing about the personal and societal role that religion has for decades. It is definitely not a new theme.

I would argue that the lyrics that offend you ARE thought-provoking. You just don't like the thoughts or, perhaps, what they provoke.

He used to write much better lyrics though. He has only recently begun telling us directly, in no uncertain terms that we are wrong. Try and tell me these are thought provoking and not just spoon feeding.

Now it's come to this

Hollow speeches of mass deception

From the Middle East to the Middle West

Like crusaders in a holy alliance

Now it's come to this

Like we're back in the dark ages

It's a plague that resists all science

It seems to leave them partly blind

And they leave no child behind

While evil spirits haunt their sleep

While shepherds bless and count their sheep

Wow, I wonder what these lyrics mean? I would have to think really hard about it to understand what he's saying.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 15 2012, 07:06 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 15 2012, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 15 2012, 07:40 PM)
Just a friendly warning to keep things from getting too personal in here. Keep it about the lyrics and not about trumpeting your own religious beliefs or putting down the beliefs of others.

Funny, because that is exactly what Neil is doing. I don't understand why he thinks dividing his fan base is a good idea.

And if Neil were a member of this board, I'd tell him what I just told everyone else here. wink.gif

And you'ld kick his ass if he wouldn't share his Macallan with you.

Don't think you are foolin' me for a second!!

Enemy Without,

That's the sad case about Snakes and Arrows. The music is great, but the lyrics simply ruin it for me. Another case of one rotten apple spoiling the barrel. I've rarely played it.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 16 2012, 10:02 AM)

That's not the issue...

A couple points.

He used to write much better lyrics though. He has only recently begun telling us directly, in no uncertain terms that we are wrong. Try and tell me these are thought provoking and not just spoon feeding.

Now it's come to this

Now it's come to this

Wow, I wonder what these lyrics mean? I would have to think really hard about it to understand what he's saying.

Comparing the middle-east to the middle-west is VERY thought provoking in a country as isolated as the US. Comparing the battles of Christianity to Islam in the middle-ages to the battles of Christianity and Islam in the current age is VERY thought provoking. He is asking what have we learned in the last 1,000 years? We are still fighting the same wars over the same stupid shit. It IS like the dark ages, both metaphorically and literally. The variation of mass deception and mass destruction (as in weapons of) is quite clever. It was, after all, the hollow speeches associated with weapons of mass destruction that lead us into Iraq.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 16 2012, 09:39 AM)
Enemy Without,

That's the sad case about Snakes and Arrows. The music is great, but the lyrics simply ruin it for me. Another case of one rotten apple spoiling the barrel. I've rarely played it.

Since we're having this discussion I should probably play it again. It's been what, eight months since I last listened? I haven't been listening to much Rush lately at all.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 16 2012, 11:02 AM)

Now it's come to this

Now it's come to this

Actually, I find this song to be very thought-provoking, and not at all preachy or spoon-feeding. To me, this song isn't even saying that religious faith is wrong, much less that Christians are wrong. It is commenting on people whose minds are closed to different ways of thinking and different ways of life, and lamenting the fact that these people will make war rather than even attempt to understand anyone else's point of view.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jan 16 2012, 10:54 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 16 2012, 11:02 AM)

Now it's come to this

Now it's come to this

Actually, I find this song to be very thought-provoking, and not at all preachy or spoon-feeding. To me, this song isn't even saying that religious faith is wrong, much less that Christians are wrong. It is commenting on people whose minds are closed to different ways of thinking and different ways of life, and lamenting the fact that these people will make war rather than even attempt to understand anyone else's point of view.

This.

Karena, I see what you're saying and I agree with you, but in his defense, the touring is part of his job that he doesn't care too much for. And I'm sure it is difficult for him now considering the guilt he feels about all the time he missed out with his previous wife and daughter. There may be some fear there that it could happen again.

Back to your point, he can't seem to understand why fans seek out the people they admire simply because he never cared about looking the hotel suites belonging to member of the Who. There's really nothing to understand. It's something people like to do.

I'm sure as an 18-25 year old touring would be a sense of adventure and craziness...as someone older, it may get grueling and less fun...as a 60 year old I'm sure it get's to be a bother, but is a necessity.

The fact that a lot of people 'think' they know Neil (or insert any name of any musician/actor, etc) is ludicrous! I can see that for myself, someone that has never been on the road like that playing to make my living, and has been stuck in an office for 30-odd years, how touring would be an exciting challenge to make money and a living, but for someone that has resigned himself to the fact that it's "just his job" and takes him away from "home base" for an extended period of time (especially since he has a young child at home) I can see how he would be less than excited for it.

The other side of it as far as his "blog" posts....welcome to his thoughts, you are just as welcome to skip over what you don't want to read, or skip them entirely...as far as my own personal writings, if people like them and read them, great! If people don't like them and don't read them, great! I do my writing for my personal enjoyment, and if someone else like to read it, then that's a bonus, but it doesn't deter me from writing and talking about what I do.

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Jan 16 2012, 10:23 AM)
I'm sure as an 18-25 year old touring would be a sense of adventure and craziness...as someone older, it may get grueling and less fun...as a 60 year old I'm sure it get's to be a bother, but is a necessity.

Yeah, cuz how could any human being retire on $20,000,000.00 in savings?

confused13.gif

Yeah... I feel for Neil!! sad.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 15 2012, 12:45 AM)
QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jan 12 2012, 05:42 AM)
Another point I'd like to make...

I don't get why people get so pissed off about Neil's anti-religious feelings. He's an artist, and part of artistry is being honest and open. If anything, I find it intriguing that he will brave the storm that is fan backlash just to be honest and open about what he feels.

But I'd also like to add my personal perspective here...

I'm an agnostic atheist, so pretty much Neil and I are mostly on the same page. It's part of what draws me to Rush.

But I don't foam at the mouth when I hear musicians talking about God. Two good examples from my personal life:

I listen to a lot of modern bands, and some of their lyrics allude to the Christian God. In particular, I'm thinking of the band Emery right now. According to Last.FM they're my 4th most played artist, and a lot of their lyrics deal with being Christian. I'm not Christian, but I don't get all pissy when they talk about it. I'm very happy that they're expressing themselves honestly. There's a song called Rock-n-Rule where two characters meet along side a road, and basically the anecdote is about a man without faith doing nothing with his life. Am I pissed? Nope, it's a good song imo.

Second personal story is that I've been an agnostic atheist for as long as I've had the ability to analyze things for myself. Yet I voluntarily joined a Praise Band at a local Church nearby. Now, I'm reasonably confident that if I, an atheist, can join a Christian Praise Band, stay in it for 4 years, and be proud of the work I did there... if I can do that, I'm pretty sure some whiny fans should probably either expand their minds to accept other viewpoints, or eject the CD.

Either way... I really never understand why the double standard. Why is it okay to talk about God in a song, but not okay to talk about atheism in a song?

There is no double standard. Rush have established themselves as a progressive rock band, and they have lately taken to putting down religion which understandably pisses off religious fans of theirs who loved them for what they had established them as. You cite a band which has been religious since the beginning, so it's not like you wouldn't expect them not to sing about religion. It's all about expectations. For all we know, Neil has been gradually drawing us into a trap for the past few decades, and the final stage of his master plan is that he wants us to be a captive audience to his religious views now that we love their music.

Firstly:

1980 - Freewill

There are those who think that life has nothing left to chance take,
A host of holy horrors to direct our aimless dance.

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

All preordained
A prisoner in chains
A victim of venomous fate.

1981 - Tom Sawyer

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government

1981 - Witch Hunt

The righteous rise
With burning eyes
Of hatred and ill-will.
Madmen fed on fear and lies
To beat and burn and kill.

They say there are strangers who threaten us,
Our immigrants and infidels.
They say there is strangeness too dangerous
In our theatres and bookstore shelves,
But those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves.

So here are 3 lyrics from the very early 1980's that are doing the same thing that Neil's lyrics now are doing, and people are getting mad about.

In Freewill, Neil uses "you," talking directly at his audience.

In Tom Sawyer, the hero of the whole song is someone who is an atheist.

In With Hunt, not only is Neil portraying "the righteous" as hateful people, ignorant of art and literature, but he's doing so by referencing the Witch Hunts of times past.

So don't tell me that Neil's recent lyrics are, in attitude, different from things that have come before. Neil has been "putting down" religion for decades, and if anything, references to the Dark Ages and the such... that's always been there.

Secondly:

The bolded part I took from your post... you don't think that's just a little bit Conspiracy Theorist?

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Jan 16 2012, 10:45 AM)

That's not the issue...

A couple points.

Now it's come to this

Now it's come to this

Comparing the middle-east to the middle-west is VERY thought provoking in a country as isolated as the US. Comparing the battles of Christianity to Islam in the middle-ages to the battles of Christianity and Islam in the current age is VERY thought provoking. He is asking what have we learned in the last 1,000 years? We are still fighting the same wars over the same stupid shit. It IS like the dark ages, both metaphorically and literally. The variation of mass deception and mass destruction (as in weapons of) is quite clever. It was, after all, the hollow speeches associated with weapons of mass destruction that lead us into Iraq.

Huge Quote Trains.......always happens when these threads get out of hand.,.

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

The point about touring isn't that he dislikes it but that he indicates that it's silly that anyone would think he might enjoy it. The people who ask him if he is excited about touring obviously do not know him and it is not a dumb question at all. Some musicians who have been touring for many years still love it so it is a reasonable question. No one should have to know his whole history and philosophy or be a psychiatrist or mind reader to ask him a simple question without the question being ridiculed.

As an agnostic/probable atheist myself I don't agree with mocking religion (in a mean way) and I don't like it when higher profile atheists like Bill Maher do it as it paints an unflattering picture of atheists. Too often celebrities and artists end up taking these things too far at some point and they diminish themselves and their talent. But that is a choice and it is the audience's choice how much they are willing to tolerate.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jan 15 2012, 02:11 PM)
I wouldn't say that religious people don't know how to use their brains, but I WOULD say that a lot of religious people are hypersensitive and overly defensive about anything they perceive as criticism and that they take it specifically and personally regardless of whether or not it is actually specific and/or directed at them and their personal faith. I would also say that many of them seem to positively cherish their outrage at these perceived offences, and that this hypersensitivity and defensiveness tends to blind them to everything other than that beloved outrage.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Jan 16 2012, 10:45 AM)

That's not the issue...

A couple points.

Now it's come to this

Now it's come to this

Great post, (as usual).

QUOTE (Tom Sawyer @ Jan 16 2012, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Jan 16 2012, 10:23 AM)

Yeah, cuz how could any human being retire on $20,000,000.00 in savings?

confused13.gif

Yeah... I feel for Neil!! sad.gif

It has nothing to DO with whether anyone "feels" for him or not. he's entitled to his opinion. If he feels that this is "work" then live with it...

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Jan 16 2012, 09:45 AM)

That's not the issue...

A couple points.

Now it's come to this

Now it's come to this

Whatever floats your boat. It's cool that you like the song, but it just doesn't resonate with me. And believe it or not, I understand the sentiment. You feel as if you're stuck between two sides in a religious war and are powerless to stop it. I get it, and believe it or not, I kind of feel the same wNoway. I don't want this either. I wish I was represented by the most reasonable, not the most vocal. But as of now, I am powerless.

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jan 16 2012, 11:44 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 15 2012, 12:45 AM)
QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jan 12 2012, 05:42 AM)
Another point I'd like to make...

I don't get why people get so pissed off about Neil's anti-religious feelings. He's an artist, and part of artistry is being honest and open. If anything, I find it intriguing that he will brave the storm that is fan backlash just to be honest and open about what he feels.

But I'd also like to add my personal perspective here...

I'm an agnostic atheist, so pretty much Neil and I are mostly on the same page. It's part of what draws me to Rush.

But I don't foam at the mouth when I hear musicians talking about God. Two good examples from my personal life:

I listen to a lot of modern bands, and some of their lyrics allude to the Christian God. In particular, I'm thinking of the band Emery right now. According to Last.FM they're my 4th most played artist, and a lot of their lyrics deal with being Christian. I'm not Christian, but I don't get all pissy when they talk about it. I'm very happy that they're expressing themselves honestly. There's a song called Rock-n-Rule where two characters meet along side a road, and basically the anecdote is about a man without faith doing nothing with his life. Am I pissed? Nope, it's a good song imo.

Second personal story is that I've been an agnostic atheist for as long as I've had the ability to analyze things for myself. Yet I voluntarily joined a Praise Band at a local Church nearby. Now, I'm reasonably confident that if I, an atheist, can join a Christian Praise Band, stay in it for 4 years, and be proud of the work I did there... if I can do that, I'm pretty sure some whiny fans should probably either expand their minds to accept other viewpoints, or eject the CD.

Either way... I really never understand why the double standard. Why is it okay to talk about God in a song, but not okay to talk about atheism in a song?

There is no double standard. Rush have established themselves as a progressive rock band, and they have lately taken to putting down religion which understandably pisses off religious fans of theirs who loved them for what they had established them as. You cite a band which has been religious since the beginning, so it's not like you wouldn't expect them not to sing about religion. It's all about expectations. For all we know, Neil has been gradually drawing us into a trap for the past few decades, and the final stage of his master plan is that he wants us to be a captive audience to his religious views now that we love their music.

Firstly:

1980 - Freewill

There are those who think that life has nothing left to chance take,
A host of holy horrors to direct our aimless dance.

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

All preordained
A prisoner in chains
A victim of venomous fate.

1981 - Tom Sawyer

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government

1981 - Witch Hunt

The righteous rise
With burning eyes
Of hatred and ill-will.
Madmen fed on fear and lies
To beat and burn and kill.

They say there are strangers who threaten us,
Our immigrants and infidels.
They say there is strangeness too dangerous
In our theatres and bookstore shelves,
But those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves.

So here are 3 lyrics from the very early 1980's that are doing the same thing that Neil's lyrics now are doing, and people are getting mad about.

In Freewill, Neil uses "you," talking directly at his audience.

In Tom Sawyer, the hero of the whole song is someone who is an atheist.

In With Hunt, not only is Neil portraying "the righteous" as hateful people, ignorant of art and literature, but he's doing so by referencing the Witch Hunts of times past.

So don't tell me that Neil's recent lyrics are, in attitude, different from things that have come before. Neil has been "putting down" religion for decades, and if anything, references to the Dark Ages and the such... that's always been there.

Secondly:

The bolded part I took from your post... you don't think that's just a little bit Conspiracy Theorist?

Just messing with you. laugh.gif

But seriously, can you explain why I have a problem with his recent lyrics but not the ones you mentioned?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 14 2012, 04:40 AM)
QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jan 13 2012, 06:08 PM)
Seeing as Peart wrote this more than 15 years ago, I think the lyrics are quite prophetic and sadly poingant...

Like a shipwrecked mariner adrift on an unknown sea
Clinging to the wreckage of the lost ship Fantasy
I'm a castaway, stranded in a desolate land
I can see the footprints in the virtual sand

Net boy, net girl
Send your signal 'round the world
Let your fingers walk and talk
And set you free

Net boy, net girl
Send your impulse 'round the world
Put your message in a modem
And throw it in the Cyber Sea

Astronauts in the weightlessness of pixellated space
Exchange graffiti with a disembodied race
I can save the universe in a grain of sand
I can hold the future in my virtual hand

Let's dance tonight
To a virtual song
Press this key
And you can play along

Let's fly tonight
On our virtual wings
Press this key
To see amazing things

Like a pair of vagabonds who wave between two passing trains
Or the glimpse of a woman's smile through a window in the rain
I can smell her perfume,
I can taste her lips
I can feel the voltage from her fingertips

Net boy, net girl
Send your heartbeat round the world
Let your fingers walk and talk
And set you free

Net boy, net girl
Send your impulse 'round the world

Peart kind of got it right that long ago..,

I don't see how quoting embarrassingly bad lyrics can do anyone any good at this point. tongue.gif

unsure.gif

Embarrassingly prophetic more like ;-)

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jan 14 2012, 01:19 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 14 2012, 01:12 AM)
QUOTE (Lerxst UK @ Jan 13 2012, 06:01 PM)
I can't believe people are just now starting to appreciate (or not!) what Neil has been saying for years on the subject of religion.

The track 'Freewill' was on a certain 'classic' album many moons ago was it not? It seems clear to me what was being said all those years ago.

There seems little doubt to me that religion is primarily a control system that goes hand in hand with politics and can be equally as ferocious or as benign as its intenders wish it to be.

Plus ca change, plus ce la meme chose!

Freewill was about same topic. True. Then he lyrically got off it and gave us Spirit of Radio, Jacobs Ladder, and other great songs.

The point is not expressing ideas about faith. The point is not becoming a bore.

If you're "bored" you only have to move on! No one is keeping you in chains. Go and find a "better" lyricist who doesn't bore you mate.

Of course, you have the right to comment. I am simply wondering why you would continue to read and comment on a subject that you are "bored" with? confused13.gif