Neil Peart News Updated

Tony R

I want to bring this back up to those that are saying somehow that the recent topic is new or boring. Obviously, you can find anything boring, (wysiati), I mean drum solos can be boring to some, eh? So, not everything is going to excite everyone, but Neil has been consistent throughout Rush's history with approaching these topics, and well, they are insteresting, informative, and well, fun.

Philosophy and religon are inherantly intertwined. Religion survives because it answers three questions that every reflective person must ask. Who am I? Why am I here? How then shall I live? These are themes that has set Rush apart from much of the mindless drivel of modern music's lyrics.

In 1973, before he was famous Stephen Hawking said, "The answer to the question 'why is the universe [the way it is]?' is 'because we are here.'" This was the era, or start of the concept of the anthropic priniciple and the further study of Newton's "curves and lines of "Grand Designs". And Neil was obviously a fan.

Proponents of the anthropic principle suggest that we live in a fine-tuned universe, i.e. a universe that appears to be "fine-tuned" to allow the existence of life as we know it. If any of the basic physical constants were different, then life as we know it would not be possible.

And Hawking's Weak Anthropic Principle, and what he reiterated recently on his 70th birthday,

'It is no surprise that we observe the physical constants to be finely-tuned. If they weren't, we wouldn't be here to observe them.'

Why are we here?

Because we're here

Roll the bones

Why does it happen?

Because it happens

Roll the bones

In the old days, (for me), we called all this stuff, "trippy", but what good stoner hasn't thought of these things and said, "whooooahhhh!" I mean if Cygnus didn't get you interested in Black Holes surely you can at least appreciate how intersting cosmology could be,

In a uniform expanding universe, every observer sees herself at the center of the expansion, with everything else moving outwards from her.

You move around

The small gets big. It's a rig

It's action - reaction -

Random interaction.

So who's afraid

Of a little abstraction?

As someone who was known to stay home pouring through Ayn Rand novels or The History of Philosophy, someone who was ever more questioning of things, Neil became a huge inspiration or beacon to search for answers, (if only because I felt I wasn't alone in this).

I mean, are we in fact our own Prime Movers?

I set the wheels in motion

turn up all the machines

activate the programs

and run behind the scene

To ponder that you have to at least view the world of Natural Science, the

Wheels within wheels

In a spiral array

A pattern so grand

And complex

And yet,

Time after time

We lose sight of the way

Our causes can't see

Their effects.

And though, Freewill made me familiar with Pascal's wager, it also gave me one of my favorite concepts and views in my search for life's answers,

Each of us

A cell of awareness

Imperfect and incomplete

Genetic blends

With uncertain ends

On a fortune hunt

That's far too fleet...

Edited by Running Rebel

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil, and many of us, were brought up to believe the "universe had a plan" and that it wasn't "ours to understand". But as we have learned, that likely isn't the case, as Hawking said recently, (his full quote)

The origin of the universe can be explained by the laws of physics, without any need for miracles or Divine intervention. These laws predict that the universe was spontaneously created out of nothing in a rapidly expanding state. ...

Our best bet for a theory of everything is M-theory [an extension of string theory].

One prediction of M-theory is that there are many different universes, with different values for the physical constants. This might explain why the physical constants we measure seem fine-tuned to the values required for life to exist. It is no surprise that we observe the physical constants to be finely-tuned. If they weren't, we wouldn't be here to observe them.

This is explained a lot more simply in Lawrence Krauss new fantastic book, "Something from Nothing".

And I can't help but think that Neil got a big giggle out of that title.

edit- actual title is, A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing

but you get the point. Excellent and wildly popular youtube video series as well.

Edited by Running Rebel

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jan 18 2012, 05:20 AM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jan 17 2012, 11:44 PM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jan 17 2012, 12:16 AM)
The Watchmaker analogy has been around a lot longer than Neil Peart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmaker_analogy

And its also been very well destroyed as a theory by several evolutionary biologists. Intelligent Design isnt science, just religion in a not very convincing costume.

Ok I guess I'm not done with this thread after all because your post is friggin' hilarious. Evolutionary biologist? What is that? Is it a person who has spent way too much money getting a degree in big words and guessing?

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Read the book The Case For A Creator by Lee Strobel or see the movie and then we can talk. Until then degrees in evolution don't mean a thing to a man of faith. Didn't you hear? Evolution is a THEORY.

This is the most embarrassing post of 2012. I am pretty sure it will remain so.

"Theory" in this instance (The Theory Evolution) actually means "fact".

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jan 18 2012, 04:45 PM)
I can't wait until Neil, the king of all protestor's stops kicking against the goads and becomes a Christian himself...

...don't laugh, it worked for Saul of Tarsus and he was opposed to Christianity way more than Neil.
smile.gif

I am so offended by this, I cannot even begin to explain it. No offense to you personally, RGLT, but everyone is entitled to choose a religion to decide not to. Neil has chosen not to have one. I personally don't believe in a god either because NOTHING separates humans like religion does. The arrogant way you say that it is only a matter of time before Neil succumbs to religion enrages me, as if we know as a fact that belief is our predetermined state! Listen bro, I don't have a beef with belief, but I sure as hell have one with the pious self-righteous.

Edited by Earthshine Emmeline

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 18 2012, 04:09 PM)

And its also been very well destroyed as a theory by several evolutionary biologists. Intelligent Design isnt science, just religion in a not very convincing costume.

Ok I guess I'm not done with this thread after all because your post is friggin' hilarious. Evolutionary biologist? What is that? Is it a person who has spent way too much money getting a degree in big words and guessing?

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Read the book The Case For A Creator by Lee Strobel or see the movie and then we can talk. Until then degrees in evolution don't mean a thing to a man of faith. Didn't you hear? Evolution is a THEORY.

Sorry, no. Law is fact. Theory is almost there but remains unproven. Chances are many things about it will still be discovered and the theory will change.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistry101/a/lawtheory.htm

Edited by hunter

QUOTE (hunter @ Jan 19 2012, 12:15 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 18 2012, 04:09 PM)

Sorry, no. Law is fact. Theory is almost there but remains unproven. Chances are many things about it will still be discovered and the theory will change.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistry101/a/lawtheory.htm

Splitting hairs. In this instance it means "fact to a degree of certainty almost incontrovertible."

Except to creationists and pedants. wink.gif

A scientific theory is a logical and fact-based explanation of how some thing or process works. It's based on physical evidence, it can be tested to see if it is faulty, and it can be used to predict future behavior, events, or other processes.

A theory can also change over time. As more information/evidence is discovered, the theory will be either changed in some way (improved or weakened), or even disproven altogether. Charles Darwin and his peers had their theories, and they were based on a certain amount of biological evidence. Today's evolutionary scientists have much, much, MUCH more evidence on which to base their theories. Today's evolutionary theory is quite different/better than that of 200 years ago, and with good reason - MORE evidence.

Biological evolution is a fact. It can be observed. Past and present evolutionary theories simply explain how it works.

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

I disagree. Biological evolution cannot be directly observed. It's mechanisms can, but we can only indirectly observe it through the fossil record. Natural selection is fact. Speciation is still theory. A good one with loads of evidence as you say, but still theory and not directly observable. I'd like to see one instance of biological evolution (speciation) being directly observed.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Jan 18 2012, 08:18 PM)
I have a serious question. IF, and that is a big IF, this thread ever dies, will it go to heaven or hell? Or will it just cease to be?

Anyone? confused13.gif

Peartatory. Its like purgatory, but with much, much better rhythms!

QUOTE (hunter @ Jan 18 2012, 08:12 PM)
I'd like to see one instance of biological evolution (speciation) being directly observed.

Have you been keeping up with the news reports on continually evolving bacteria (and viruses) and the health risks that they present? Our antibiotics are becoming more and more useless as harmful bacteria EVOLVE.

Researchers at Michigan State are working with evolving E. coli bacteria.

http://myxo.css.msu.edu/ecoli/

We can observe speciation in smaller, less complex organisms like bacteria. Of course, with larger organisms, it would take a huge amount of time to observe the evolutionary processes. The more complex the organism, the longer it will take the changes in allele frequency to manifest themselves.

So, no, we will never be able to watch a rat evolve into a bat or a hippo into a whale. We will never see a bonobo chimpanzee evolve into a human being. We can, however, through the mapping of DNA, observe the changes in allele frequency that change (over time) the nature of a species.

Yes, no math please! tongue.gif

And if I may say, I'm with Earthshine Emmeline; that comment was so incredibly arrogant! Better look to that log in your own eye.... ph34r.gif

It takes exreme effort not to understand evolution. I don't even believe that what anyone says in this thread will change their minds. If they want to believe the world is only a few thousand years old let's let them have it.

I wouldn't tell them the truth about Santa either. Shhhhh....

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 18 2012, 08:37 PM)
I have a serious question.  IF, and that is a big IF, this thread ever dies, will it go to heaven or hell?  Or will it just cease to be?

Anyone?  confused13.gif

Don't be silly.

It will float around in LIMBO for all of Eternity.... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

No, wait....the Church canceled Limbo a few years back. Nevermind. confused13.gif

....hope all those unbaptized babies aren't still floating around in space.

QUOTE (Earthshine Emmeline @ Jan 18 2012, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jan 18 2012, 04:45 PM)
I can't wait until Neil, the king of all protestor's stops kicking against the goads and becomes a Christian himself...

...don't laugh, it worked for Saul of Tarsus and he was opposed to Christianity way more than Neil.
smile.gif

I am so offended by this, I cannot even begin to explain it. No offense to you personally, RGLT, but everyone is entitled to choose a religion to decide not to. Neil has chosen not to have one. I personally don't believe in a god either because NOTHING separates humans like religion does. The arrogant way you say that it is only a matter of time before Neil succumbs to religion enrages me, as if we know as a fact that belief is our predetermined state! Listen bro, I don't have a beef with belief, but I sure as hell have one with the pious self-righteous.

Ok, so, that was good old-fashioned sarcasm, thus the little smiley face at the end of my post.

Many apologies, did not intend to offend anyone.

~Peace, Love, Rush, RGLT

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 18 2012, 09:37 PM)
I have a serious question.  IF, and that is a big IF, this thread ever dies, will it go to heaven or hell?  Or will it just cease to be?

Anyone?  confused13.gif

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif

Top notch!

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 18 2012, 07:09 PM)

Sorry, I didn't mean to embarrass you.