Teen aged rush fans

micgtr71

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 6 2012, 06:42 PM)
I teach high school and my first period class begins just before 8 am. I walk in there today and there are two guys in there talking about guitar. Both of them are guitar players. One of them says, "I don't care what they say, his sound on Hemispheres is the best. That chorused up distortion is what it is all about." The other guy agrees but says that his favorite sound is the clean chords on the Necromancer and Fountain. First guy thinks a minute and agrees but says Hemispheres is flawless. A third guy walks in and says "Sorry man, he's right. Hemispheres is worth the price of admission for the first track alone. That first chord nails it. Also, La Villa..." All three nod. I don't know what to say. They look at me and ask me if I like Rush. I smile and tell them that I haven't missed a tour since 86. They are impressed. It was difficult to start the lesson that day.

Now, THAT is incredibly cool! Some kids have taste and/or have been brought up right cool.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 8 2012, 06:27 AM)
I teach high school and my first period class begins just before 8 am. I walk in there today and there are two guys in there talking about guitar. Both of them are guitar players. One of them says, "I don't care what they say, his sound on Hemispheres is the best. That chorused up distortion is what it is all about." The other guy agrees but says that his favorite sound is the clean chords on the Necromancer and Fountain. First guy thinks a minute and agrees but says Hemispheres is flawless. A third guy walks in and says "Sorry man, he's right. Hemispheres is worth the price of admission for the first track alone. That first chord nails it. Also, La Villa..." All three nod. I don't know what to say. They look at me and ask me if I like Rush. I smile and tell them that I haven't missed a tour since 86. They are impressed. It was difficult to start the lesson that day.

Now, THAT is incredibly cool! Some kids have taste and/or have been brought up right cool.gif

I love your avatar.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jan 8 2012, 11:04 AM)
QUOTE (proudlyrushian @ Jan 8 2012, 12:21 AM)
Nice! biggrin.gif 17-year-old Rush fan here; I'm also a girl.  laugh.gif

I love you

wink.gif

laugh.gif

I think it's great that Rush reaches across all ages.

Wish I'd discovered them when I was younger!

Haha, I'm 18 and my girlfriend is 17. Yesterday we went to see Mission Impossible (pretty good) and I was wearing my new "Got Geddy?" shirt and she had on a Starman shirt. They guy behind the concessions counter couldn't believe it!

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 6 2012, 08:42 PM)

Amen.

dang man. i wish i had you as a teacher. all of my teachers like the Beatles and think that Rush is devil music and they hate it.. i have nobody except my dad and my soccer coach to talk Rush with sad.gif except on here, of course!

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 8 2012, 08:57 AM)

I love your avatar.

Thank you smile.gif It was done by one of my daughter's friends.

Speaking of teenage Rush fans, my daughter and her friends have been initiated and are fully integrated. How many more teenagers do we need before we can assume control? wink.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 9 2012, 06:10 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 8 2012, 08:57 AM)

I love your avatar.

Thank you smile.gif It was done by one of my daughter's friends.

Speaking of teenage Rush fans, my daughter and her friends have been initiated and are fully integrated. How many more teenagers do we need before we can assume control? wink.gif

if a "generation" equals on average around 20 years....we need 5 more generations.

we can do this! 1022.gif

Hey did you guys see that kid in the crowd on the Time Machine DVD standing on his chair with sticks air-drumming to 'Mission'? You can see him lift his left shoulder twice in time with the high hat. Little guy's a drummer for sure! So cool smile.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 9 2012, 10:45 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jan 9 2012, 11:40 PM)
I was 15 when I started listening to Rush. I am 21 now, almost 22. There needs to be more teenaged Rush fans in the world.

welcome back.

Thanks! Surprised anyone remembers me, I've been gone for ages.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jan 9 2012, 11:52 PM)
I was 15 when I started listening to Rush. I am 21 now, almost 22. There needs to be more teenaged Rush fans in the world.

welcome back.

You're avatar is a very unique photo. I saw it and said "I remember her"

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jan 9 2012, 10:52 PM)

welcome back.

It seems like you have, welcome back. We remember you.

I love stories like this. Makes us old-school musicians and Rush fans feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Before checking out this thread, I just happened to come home early from a half day at work, and some tall skinny kid was walking down the neighborhood sidewalk in front of my hose, playing a nice-looking custom 5-string bass. I struck up a conversation before I even got out of the car.

Turns out he's going to Berklee, and is in a 3-piece power trio. We talked bass shop (I'm a bass player also), and names like Dave LaRue, Jaco, and of course Geddy came up. It's encouraging to know new musicians are still digging Rush.

pizza.gif