I hate discovering amazing old music

It kind of annoys me how so many old bands are unwilling to tour. I respect their opinions on how they don't want to linger on the past but most of those bands have fans who have never seen them before. I'd love to be able to see bands like Genesis and Gentle Giant and ELP since I wasn't around to see them in their prime, but it will never happen. Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 3 2012, 06:44 PM)
It kind of annoys me how so many old bands are unwilling to tour. I respect their opinions on how they don't want to linger on the past but most of those bands have fans who have never seen them before. I'd love to be able to see bands like Genesis and Gentle Giant and ELP since I wasn't around to see them in their prime, but it will never happen.

Man it sucks sad.gif

I want to see The Musical Box and I understand these guys probably do it better but it's just not the same to me.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jan 3 2012, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 3 2012, 06:44 PM)
It kind of annoys me how so many old bands are unwilling to tour. I respect their opinions on how they don't want to linger on the past but most of those bands have fans who have never seen them before. I'd love to be able to see bands like Genesis and Gentle Giant and ELP since I wasn't around to see them in their prime, but it will never happen.

Man it sucks sad.gif

I want to see The Musical Box and I understand these guys probably do it better but it's just not the same to me.

I'm not sure I'd like to see The Musical Box. I have no problem with cover bands but its just weird when they dress up exactly like the band, have the same set, same stage setup etc. I'd rather see a cover band where they aren't trying to be exactly like the original.

Majority of bands I'd like to see live are either no longer active or not worth seeing, or they are too damn expensive

Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, ELP, Yes, The Who, The Grateful Dead, Dio, Heaven and Hell, Rainbow, Nirvana, Guns N Roses (Not Axl Rose & Friends), Stevie Ray Vaughan.

I was lucky to see Tom Petty, CSN, BB King, & Buddy Guy. Hopefully Rush & Roger Waters this year.

I feel that if you didn't get a chance to see a band in their heyday, you kind of missed the boat. I really have no interest in seeing ancient bands reunite and croak out old classics, unless of course they haven't lost any of their ability or talent - that's rarely the case.

Most of my favorite all time bands I've never seen live and never will - I'm fine with it. And that leads me to my other musical philosophy - concerts are transitory 2 hour events - albums are eternal. wub.gif

Edited by go2wrk@95974

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 3 2012, 08:22 PM)
I feel that if you didn't get a chance to see a band in their heyday, you kind of missed the boat. I really have no interest in seeing ancient bands reunite and croak out old classics, unless of course they haven't lost any of their ability or talent - that's rarely the case.

+1. I'd rather see a younger, up-and-coming band that still has energy and ambition, rather than a bunch of old guys trying to relive their teen years with significantly less hair.

Yeah, it sucks.

Yes isn't worth it, Phil Collins is too old to tour (with Genesis), VDGG doesn't do USA (at least I don't think), The Who is lone gone, ELP - long gone, and of course many others.

I'm really looking forward to Ian Anderson with Thick as a Brick though! Other than his voice (which is not bad - just different) he looked great in some YT vids I watched! biggrin.gif

And of course, we still have Rush for the time being. smile.gif

And Styx! They're as strong as ever! Beat the crap out of Yes live! 1022.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 3 2012, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jan 3 2012, 11:03 PM)
VDGG doesn't do USA (at least I don't think)

They're playing at NEARFest in PA this spring and Peter Hammill said they may play some other US shows. I'm crossing my fingers for a NYC show.

This made my year if it happens and if it doesn't I will die, haha.

Being 18 and knowing that a lot of my tastes in music and other things are from the 80's, 90's and older bothers me. And that a good amount of the bands I listen to I can't see live or they currently suck IMO like Metallica. But not as much as it used to, several months ago I REALLY started getting into Metal. Seeing new great bands and discovering new and old music has helped to rid that sad wishful feeling. Plus my tastes in music have changed a lot. My tastes in music now are a lot more broad then they used to be and I like music a lot more then I used to. But being different is cool too.

(Somewhat off topic but I think it's a good post)

I have gotten to see Almost every band i wanted except

Led Zep in 1975

The Who in 1977

Kiss in 1977

Alice Cooper in 1973

Allman Brothers in 1970

If i can go back in time, i would die a happy man

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jan 3 2012, 11:29 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 3 2012, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jan 3 2012, 11:03 PM)
VDGG doesn't do USA (at least I don't think)

They're playing at NEARFest in PA this spring and Peter Hammill said they may play some other US shows. I'm crossing my fingers for a NYC show.

This made my year if it happens and if it doesn't I will die, haha.

ohmy.gif PA! That's only like, 6 hours away! ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

.... sad.gif