The First Show in Hartford, CT

NobodysHeroine

Out of curiosity, did anyone here attend Rush's first show on the Vapor Trails tour in 2002? If so, I envy you on 2112 levels. laugh.gif

I was only eight years old, and didn't know anything about such an exceptional band as Rush. My musical taste back then cannot even compare to what it is now. I didn't even go to my first Rush show until just this year. Why wasn't I born sooner?! ohmy.gif

What can you lucky concert-goers tell about the show, specifically? I imagine that the emotions were very intense among the audience, given that they were at the first Rush show in five years after a hiatus where there was no certainty that the band would ever return. Emotions must also have been intense among Geddy, Alex and Neil, given the events in the band's and Neil's lives before this point. Geddy mentions in Beyond the Lighted Stage that he kept checking on Neil, to make sure that Neil was smiling and laughing throughout the show. tongue.gif

I recently read somewhere that Alex tossed one of his guitar picks to a woman in a wheelchair; he had to get a security guard's attention by kicking the security guard's back in order to get it to her. That was so sweet of Alex. heart.gif

Edited by NobodysHeroine

I wasn't at the opening show, but I was at the next one in Scranton...

They seemed to be having fun, and I don't recall any major trainwrecks musically. The VT songs were a little better sounding than they did on the album, and the older stuff was like they never stopped playing together.

QUOTE (NobodysHeroine @ Dec 29 2011, 01:58 PM)
Out of curiosity, did anyone here attend Rush's first show on the Vapor Trails tour in 2002? If so, I envy you on 2112 levels. laugh.gif

I was only eight years old, and didn't know anything about such an exceptional band as Rush. My musical taste back then cannot even compare to what it is now. I didn't even go to my first Rush show until just this year. Why wasn't I born sooner?! ohmy.gif

What can you lucky concert-goers tell about the show, specifically? I imagine that the emotions were very intense among the audience, given that they were at the first Rush show in five years after a hiatus where there was no certainty that the band would ever return. Emotions must also have been intense among Geddy, Alex and Neil, given the events in the band's and Neil's lives before this point. Geddy mentions in Beyond the Lighted Stage that he kept checking on Neil, to make sure that Neil was smiling and laughing throughout the show. tongue.gif

I recently read somewhere that Alex tossed one of his guitar picks to a woman in a wheelchair; he had to get a security guard's attention by kicking the security guard's back in order to get it to her. That was so sweet of Alex. heart.gif

Good question, i would also be interested in hearing a recap of this memorable occasion. popcorn.gif

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Dec 29 2011, 04:20 PM)
...snipped...

I was only eight years old,

...snipped...

b_sigh.gif This makes me feel f'ing ancient.

old.gif

Tell me about it. This 8th grader I know was going on about discovering the Pixies. They fking broke up before he was born, and they were a big part of my high school years.

Damn kids.

old.gif

QUOTE (NobodysHeroine @ Dec 29 2011, 02:58 PM)

I had 3rd row center for that Hartford show. It was probably my 30th Rush show but that night was magical. The band was so into it and you certainly felt the vibe coming off of them.

QUOTE (Tick @ Dec 29 2011, 07:15 PM)

I had 3rd row center for that Hartford show. It was probably my 30th Rush show but that night was magical. The band was so into it and you certainly felt the vibe coming off of them.

I made the trip from Dallas, it was a magical night indeed. It seemed as if the crowd was a little nervous too, kind of wanting to see if Superman could still fly, after everything that had happened. I was 4th row in front of Alex, and I remember seeing the pic to the person in the wheelchair. If I remember correctly, the guard was going to give it to the wrong person, then Alex corrected the situation. I went to Scranton the next night as well! I have seen Rush 42 times, starting with the 2112 tour, and that Hartford show is etched in my memory.

Steve was there, too. He has a fantastic picture of the 3 of them "clicking" that is very moving, especially to those of us who know the importance of the evening. I'm sure he'll be along soon.... smile.gif

QUOTE (pony2112 @ Dec 29 2011, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Dec 29 2011, 07:15 PM)

I made the trip from Dallas, it was a magical night indeed. It seemed as if the crowd was a little nervous too, kind of wanting to see if Superman could still fly, after everything that had happened. I was 4th row in front of Alex, and I remember seeing the pic to the person in the wheelchair. If I remember correctly, the guard was going to give it to the wrong person, then Alex corrected the situation. I went to Scranton the next night as well! I have seen Rush 42 times, starting with the 2112 tour, and that Hartford show is etched in my memory.

I had 10th row Alex side and came up from Orlando.

It was just like Tick and Pony said, lots of energy, lots of smiles (even Neil), they sounded great...It was a lot of fun and it was great to have 2.gif back.

A wonderful night.

I was there. I remember on my way in, where they collect tickets, they had this one young lady pulled aside. She was crying and in a panic. Apparently she brought the ticket receipt with her, not the actual ticket so they couldn't let her in. I felt horrible for her.

But, yeah, the show was incredible... and as a fan very emotional. They seemed happy, but honestly they always seem happy when they perform. I thought the Vapor Trails songs sounded great and it was very cool to hear songs like Between Sun & Moon. There was a good vibe through out the crowd... just a good night to be a Rush fan!

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Dec 29 2011, 08:54 PM)
Steve was there, too. He has a fantastic picture of the 3 of them "clicking" that is very moving, especially to those of us who know the importance of the evening. I'm sure he'll be along soon.... smile.gif

user posted image

I was also there.

The first big moment for me and for others was before the show even started. That was when the road crew removed the covering off of Neil's drum set. Everybody cheered in unison when that happened.

I remember everybody going "booo!!!!" when a radio personality announced an upcoming Aerosmith show at the venue. It was funny.

I remember the show started off a bit awkward for the first several tunes, but it didn't take long for them to get into it.

Prior to the show, Alex and Geddy taped answers to questions that RushCon attendees submitted earlier and I was able to see them answer mine which was about how they decided the running order of songs on a new album. Can't remember the answer offhand. The aired this at RushCon 2 a month later.

edit: I definitely liked hearing "Ceiling Unlimited" and "Between Sun and Moon" which they dedicated to the bass player in the Who who had just died.

Edited by circumstantial tree

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Dec 31 2011, 11:16 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 31 2011, 06:26 PM)
I saw them in Hartford, CT for the Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows tours. tongue.gif

Me too!!!!

Wait a minute...they didn't play Hartford on the P/G tour!!!

I know I saw them 6 times in the 80's in Connecticut - Signals, GUP, Power Windows & HYF in New Haven, and twice in Hartford on those first three tours, so maybe it was Signals and Power Windows.

I was also at the Hartford show. We'd already bought inside seats for their Saratoga show, which is "local" to us, but felt we wanted to go to this monumental "first show back," too, so we bought lawn tix and drove down. What do I remember? Everything.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 1 2012, 07:11 AM)
I saw them in Hartford, CT for the Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows tours. tongue.gif

Me too!!!!

I know I saw them 6 times in the 80's in Connecticut - Signals, GUP, Power Windows & HYF in New Haven, and twice in Hartford on those first three tours, so maybe it was Signals and Power Windows.

Had to have been, I checked the tour dates just to make sure I didn't miss a show (as in 2.gif played nearby and I missed it) and there is no show listed although they do mention a second New Haven show (or a third if you count the originally scheduled show which was cancelled, and then the rescheduled show a few nights later) which again, I'm sure never happened unless once more I missed a show I could have attended.

Just to clarify (or confuse).

-There was the 9/24/84 cancelled show.

-The 9/28/84 rescheduled show.

-But then there is an 11/9/84 show listed....But I'm almost positive this is an error....Did this show actually happen and I missed it???!!! This was when I was super into 2.gif , they were hugely popluar and every 2.gif fan in my school would have talked about it which would have had me there and that's why I think it's an error....Anybody know about this?

Link to tour dates.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/tours/Tours.htm

Edited by Invisible To Telescopic Eye

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jan 1 2012, 08:00 AM)

Me too!!!!

Had to have been, I checked the tour dates just to make sure I didn't miss a show (as in 2.gif played nearby and I missed it) and there is no show listed although they do mention a second New Haven show (or a third if you count the originally scheduled show which was cancelled, and then the rescheduled show a few nights later) which again, I'm sure never happened unless once more I missed a show I could have attended.

-But then there is an 11/9/84 show listed....But I'm almost positive this is an error....Did this show actually happen and I missed it???!!! This was when I was super into 2.gif , they were hugely popluar and every 2.gif fan in my school would have talked about it which would have had me there and that's why I think it's an error....Anybody know about this?

Link to tour dates.

According to Cygnus X-1, they played Sept. 28 and Nov 9 in New Haven

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jan 1 2012, 11:26 AM)

Me too!!!!

Link to tour dates.

So does the link I provided but as I mentioned I have no recall of the Nov 9 show. BTW I was living in New Haven at the time so it would have been BIG news if 2.gif was doing a show then.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jan 1 2012, 08:36 AM)

Me too!!!!

Link to tour dates.

So does the link I provided but as I mentioned I have no recall of the Nov 9 show. BTW I was living in New Haven at the time so it would have been BIG news if 2.gif was doing a show then.

Regardless, it was cool that we were at a few of the same shows! I saw a lot of concerts at the New Haven Coliseum from 1981-1987 or so. Did you see Van Halen there for the Diver Down tour? Now that was an amazing f*cking show! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Dec 29 2011, 04:56 PM)
QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Dec 29 2011, 05:20 PM)
...snipped...

...snipped...

old.gif

yeah, I was 8 when I first discovered Rush......in f*ckin' 1976!!

And I was 18 when I heard them the first time ("Working Man" on the radio and a friend had the first album).......in 1974!! You guys are youngsters!!

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jan 1 2012, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Dec 29 2011, 04:56 PM)
QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Dec 29 2011, 05:20 PM)
...snipped...

...snipped...

old.gif

yeah, I was 8 when I first discovered Rush......in f*ckin' 1976!!

And I was 18 when I heard them the first time ("Working Man" on the radio and a friend had the first album).......in 1974!! You guys are youngsters!!

Hey, there's nothing wrong with being "old." Believe me, sometimes I wish that I weren't so young! Sometimes I also wish that I weren't part of my generation. Most music simply sucks nowadays, if it can even be called music. That's why I love "older" music like that of Rush as much as I do; it is timeless and has actual substance. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 1 2012, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jan 1 2012, 08:36 AM)

Me too!!!!

Link to tour dates.

Regardless, it was cool that we were at a few of the same shows! I saw a lot of concerts at the New Haven Coliseum from 1981-1987 or so. Did you see Van Halen there for the Diver Down tour? Now that was an amazing f*cking show! 1022.gif

No, I missed it but I did see them on 1984 there which I still regard as possibly THE best show I've ever seen. I read in another thread that the DD show was amazing and that Dave hadn't yet become the caricature of a rock 'n roll front man he had become by the time '84 was released.

And I know it's inconsequential how many shows they played or each of us attended...but it's driving me nuts about that Nov 9 thing...Do YOU remember two shows on the P?G tour in New Haven?

Where's Tick?...He'd know.

And yes...It is totally cool we were at some of the same shows then and here we are now talking about it!!!