I Love KISS!

rushgoober

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Nov 20 2011, 10:04 AM)
I saw 'em in early 1976 on the "Alive" tour in support of Kiss: Alive and just before Destroyer came out. A quick search shows that the date was February 12, 1976 actually and it was at the Spokane Coliseum in well, Spokane, Washington obviously. I was a freshman at Eastern Washington Univ. in nearby Cheney and went with my dorm roomie at the time. Setlist:
1."Deuce"
2."Strutter"
3."C'mon and Love Me"
4."Hotter Than Hell"
5."Firehouse"
6."She" (Ace Frehley Guitar Solo)
7."Parasite"
8."Nothin' to Lose"
9."100.000 Years" (Gene Simmons Bass Solo, Peter Criss Drum Solo)
10."Black Diamond"
Encores

1."Cold Gin"
2."Rock and Roll All Nite"
3."Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll"

It was a fun night and they pretty much played all the early stuff we liked. I was especially pleased they played "Black Diamond" a song I liked from the first time I heard it. Anyone who knows their history knows they were in full costume and did all the blood and fire stuff in those days.

Never found them awesome or epic or whatever, but indeed fun. After Alive I pretty much lost interest except for a lot of listens of the great song Detroit Rock City.

Anybody else here see them waaaaaaaay back in the day too? (God again I prove I'm freaking OLD old.gif )

I'm an EWU grad! Reining nat'l champs, bra!

trink39.gif

Lived in Dressler Hall.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they lost me with Dynasty, but Ill rock the old stuff still

QUOTE (goose @ Nov 20 2011, 10:10 PM)
QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Nov 20 2011, 10:04 AM)
I saw 'em in early 1976 on the "Alive" tour in support of Kiss: Alive and just before Destroyer came out. A quick search shows that the date was February 12, 1976 actually and it was at the Spokane Coliseum in well, Spokane, Washington obviously. I was a freshman at Eastern Washington Univ. in nearby Cheney and went with my dorm roomie at the time. Setlist:
1."Deuce"
2."Strutter"
3."C'mon and Love Me"
4."Hotter Than Hell"
5."Firehouse"
6."She" (Ace Frehley Guitar Solo)
7."Parasite"
8."Nothin' to Lose"
9."100.000 Years" (Gene Simmons Bass Solo, Peter Criss Drum Solo)
10."Black Diamond"
Encores

1."Cold Gin"
2."Rock and Roll All Nite"
3."Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll"

It was a fun night and they pretty much played all the early stuff we liked. I was especially pleased they played "Black Diamond" a song I liked from the first time I heard it. Anyone who knows their history knows they were in full costume and did all the blood and fire stuff in those days.

Never found them awesome or epic or whatever, but indeed fun. After Alive I pretty much lost interest except for a lot of listens of the great song Detroit Rock City.

Anybody else here see them waaaaaaaay back in the day too? (God again I prove I'm freaking OLD  old.gif  )

I'm an EWU grad! Reining nat'l champs, bra!

trink39.gif

Lived in Dressler Hall.

NICE!! I'm actually a Seattle U. grad. Only went one year to EWU and lived in Morrison (how apropo as I am a big Doors fan LOL). Both my nieces, who are one year apart in age, graduated from EWU this last Spring. National champs indeed!! I watched the whole game last year when they won it and was rootin' HARD for the Eagles.

Goob, you have come back to earth laugh.gif

Love them. Outside of Crazy Nights , Animalize , Asylum , Hot In The Shade and Psycho Circus i listen to all those albums. Always a great show live. The Elder kicks Ass, too bad the band hates it

I still remember how mortified I was as a kid watching Don Kirshners when they first aired I Was Made For Lovin You. at that age it was betrayal...Then I found Sabbath and RUSH, and all was good

Been a fan on and off since I was a kid (I'm a 70s child). Finally saw them for the first time on the Hot In The Shade tour. I lost interest in going to anymore of their concerts after the awful Rock The Nation show I attended but I still keep up with their releases. Destroyer & Rock & Roll Over are my favorite albums.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 21 2011, 07:45 AM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Nov 20 2011, 10:26 PM)
they lost me with Dynasty, but Ill rock the old stuff still

I'm really a fan of the old stuff too. I do like what I've heard from The Elder and Creatures of the Night, but beyond that I'm not too interested.

Revenge is worth a listen...and possibly even moreso, SONIC BOOM is definitely worth a listen.

That's an amazing 'comeback' album if I've ever heard one. 1022.gif

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Nov 21 2011, 07:38 AM)
I still remember how mortified I was as a kid watching Don Kirshners when they first aired I Was Made For Lovin You. at that age it was betrayal...Then I found Sabbath and RUSH, and all was good

I don't think I was crazy about that at the time either. They definitely lost me with Dynasty, and especially with Unmasked.

That said, I gotta say that I Was Made For Loving You is one ass-kicking song IMHO. Sure it's got a disco feel, but it's also got some great guitar and it's super duper catchy. I love the song now.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 23 2011, 09:04 PM)

I don't think I was crazy about that at the time either. They definitely lost me with Dynasty, and especially with Unmasked.

That said, I gotta say that I Was Made For Loving You is one ass-kicking song IMHO. Sure it's got a disco feel, but it's also got some great guitar and it's super duper catchy. I love the song now.

I honestly don't get the hate for Dynasty. I love it personally.

Is it different than their previous records? Yeah. But I still love it.

'I Was Made For Lovin' You' is awesome, and obviously the one track that garners all the attention.

BUT...to me, the best tunes on this album are 'Sure Know Something', 'Charisma', and 'Magic Touch'. All fantastic tracks!

Plus, I really dig songs like Dirty Livin' and Hard Times as well. Great album overall IMO. 1022.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 25 2011, 10:49 AM)

'I Was Made For Lovin' You' is awesome, and obviously the one track that garners all the attention.

BUT...to me, the best tunes on this album are 'Sure Know Something', 'Charisma', and 'Magic Touch'. All fantastic tracks!

Plus, I really dig songs like Dirty Livin' and Hard Times as well. Great album overall IMO. 1022.gif

Kiss played around with plenty of musical genres before "I Was Made For Lovin' You". Lush ballads, corny orchestrated songs and country. Why the disco hate? More power to 'em!

Afternoon Delight is super duper catchy too, and beat It from MJ has Eddie van Halen on it....Id rather stick nails in my ears than listen to any of that

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 25 2011, 11:44 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 25 2011, 10:49 AM)

Kiss played around with plenty of musical genres before "I Was Made For Lovin' You". Lush ballads, corny orchestrated songs and country. Why the disco hate? More power to 'em!

And don't forget their Grunge album "Carnival of Souls" which I love by the way.

To anyone that has really done the comparison must realize the same conclusion as me.

w.a.s.p. - is a much better version of kiss

QUOTE (rotting @ Nov 26 2011, 09:57 AM)
To anyone that has really done the comparison must realize the same conclusion as me.

nothing will ever compare to what KISS was between 1975 and 1978 ...but WASP was more fun for me in 85

QUOTE (hobo73 @ Nov 26 2011, 12:15 PM)
I love OLD KISS. A few songs here and there in the 80s. And actually, I thought Psycho Circus was a decent album.

I saw that tour, I thought it was pretty awful

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Nov 26 2011, 12:13 PM)

nothing will ever compare to what KISS was between 1975 and 1978 ...but WASP was more fun for me in 85

1975?

What about the debut album from 1974, that's probably the best KISS studio album of all.

I enjoy pretty much all KISS albums, even the ones that it's fashionable to diss, like Dynasty, Unmasked and The Elder. Plus I even enjoy a lot of the no-makeup albums, such as Lick it Up, Animalize, Revenge and Crazy Nights...

1022.gif

wasnt a big fan of the 1st album versions so much.

Count me in. When I was a kid in the 70s, they were like gods to me. I only had a couple of posters. I remember having the Gene Simmons solo album poster and the poster of the whole band at the top of a skyscraper in NYC. The very first album I owned was KISS Alive II. I played it every day after school.

I never had the opportunity see them in the day. My parents wouldn't let me go to rock concerts because "people smoke dope there". My first time seeing them live was in '96 or '97 during their reunion tour. I was not disappointed. All of the hype regarding the spectacle of their shows was true! I saw them a second time (Psycho Circus tour) a few years later in Oakland. Great show with Skid Row and Ted Nugent opening up for them. The only downer was that someone fell to their death from the upper section of the arena. The paramedics carried his body right past us on a stretcher. unsure.gif

I saw them a couple of years ago in Oakland. The show was fun but it wasn't the same because it wasn't Ace and Peter. I went to that show with CygnusX-1Bk2. We had seats right in front of the board. Towards the end of the show, Paul zip lined over the audience to a mini stage that was just a few feet away from us. Cyg took an awesome pic of Paul doing his thing. Maybe he'll post it in this thread, but it looks like he pretty much sticks to the musician section of this board.

Dynasty was disappointing. Too disco, but Ace saved that album with 2000 Man and Hard Times. I lost interest after Unmasked was released but I do enjoy a few songs from Lick it Up and Animalize.

Anyone else remember KISS meet the Phantom. I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Looking back on it now, it's soooooooo cheesy I'm embarrassed to have loved it so much. laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 26 2011, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Nov 26 2011, 12:13 PM)

1975?

What about the debut album from 1974, that's probably the best KISS studio album of all.

yes.gif

The debut is outstanding! 1022.gif