Disappointed in TM DVD

orangefan244

Well, I'm honestly not a big fan of Rush DVDS. I'm not saying they are bad but I prefer to just listen to Rush on there studio albums. I'm actually listening to some Rush CD's as we speak.

I watched the DVD on TV Sunday night and while its not my favorite performance I felt the opposite about the vocals. I came away thinking, wow, Geddy sounds really good at this show. His vocals sure were not bad.

That's all I wanted to say.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gixxerman001 @ Nov 22 2011, 08:42 AM)

Anyways.
What surprises me is that they stick to a format where one show alone is filmed for release.
I know this stuff is expensive to do and I can see the attraction of keeping the flow of the one show's experience but surely filming 2 or 3 nights would do a lot to counter the chances of someone being a little ill, or just having an off night or a handful of mistakes?

At the end of the day tho I've not had one Rush Blu-ray I've been disappointed in, that lossless audio is monster.

I would LOVE IT if for the CA live dvd, they pulled a Pearl Jam -Touring Band 2000 move and film 10 or 15 shows, then edit together in order the best versions of each song. That would be monumental good 1022.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Nov 22 2011, 03:17 PM)
I would LOVE IT if for the CA live dvd, they pulled a Pearl Jam -Touring Band 2000 move and film 10 or 15 shows, then edit together in order the best versions of each song. That would be monumental good 1022.gif

Yeah, wouldn't that really be something?

A collection of the best moments of a national tour......hell as we're sadly at a time with more behind than ahead how about finishing with a compilation of a global tour?

Their pension plan completed, a 6 disc Blu-ray set (and DVD equiv) with live CDs etc accompanying.

(but in Rush's case it'd be one I'd happily stump up for, they have given me so much pleasure in my life)

......and after that they can relax to the occasional studio album & studio shot videos. cool10.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Gixxerman001 @ Nov 23 2011, 08:18 AM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Nov 22 2011, 03:17 PM)

Yeah, wouldn't that really be something?

A collection of the best moments of a national tour......hell as we're sadly at a time with more behind than ahead how about finishing with a compilation of a global tour?

Their pension plan completed, a 6 disc Blu-ray set (and DVD equiv) with live CDs etc accompanying.

(but in Rush's case it'd be one I'd happily stump up for, they have given me so much pleasure in my life)

......and after that they can relax to the occasional studio album & studio shot videos. cool10.gif trink39.gif

Wasn't that basically what they did with ASOH? A couple of different shows mixed together?

QUOTE (RUDT @ Nov 18 2011, 05:43 AM)
The reason why i listen to Rush's music has never been for the vocals, i think Geddy's voice has improved over the years,

Up until Hold Your Fire, maybe.

Geddy's the absolute MAN and I love his voice from the past, but the poor guy can't sing like that anymore. We just have to face it and appreciate that he's still willing to attempt many of their songs live.

I actually thought he sounded pretty awesome on TMT's 'Marathon'.

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Nov 20 2011, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (BloodofTheZodiac @ Nov 18 2011, 11:57 AM)
When I watch the DVD, whether I'm drinking, high, drinking and high, or sober(yes I have watched it 4 times in it's entirety already)...I honestly don't notice Ged's vocals being off or not sounding good on this performance. I think he sounds quite decent actually. It probably has something to do with seeing crowd shots, and watching the band play their instruments, and all the other distractions like seeing the lights, and stage set up and video's in the background.(that was a lot of and's)

But when I listen to the CD...it's definitely more noticeable that he didn't sound overly great, compared to the show I saw in Montreal. But then again, that's probably because I was at the actual show, and thought they were spot on because of the reasons I mentioned above.

Regardless....for a man that age, he can still sing like a banshee.

Only Ronnie James Dio(RIP) could still sound as good as he did in his late 50's, early 60's as he did in his younger days.

goodpost.gif

I'll add that Ian Hunter, who is now in his mid-70s, can still sound like he did in Mott the Hoople's heyday.

I think Geddy's voice is definitely strained but I think that's a result of him having a stretch of show dates with no break AND having a cold (yes I maintain that he DID have a cold. . . no matter what people choose to believe). Poor guy.

Kelly D, your avatar is awesome!

30 years have passed since I bought to myself a Christmas present, surprise ! Exit Stage Left, MASSIVE sounding double vinyl, so dear, mighty and awesome. 10km fly by to the border of USSR (that area too was robbed from us by using the violence on WW2), that's where I come from. I love Rush very much. So much (their wisdom, humanish, humour, awesome intelligent music, ability to play on such standard and pro level, Canadas territories and nature..). They were that times so far away. Not anymore. But now maybe too often all kind of stuff and news, what someone has said and so on (marketing, that's called, where's the mystique that used to be..). After four months of NOT listening much Rush at all got the DVD today (+cd).

Presto sounded SO awesome, and one happy familiar eyed face on it rocking too (cheerio New Mexico). Have to relax and listen this with better time on days to come. ps. First I noted that are my speakers little stressed / broken..until I noticed it was, Geddys voice on several occasions..

Life is life. Now listening Yes "Going For The One", year 1977, when I was 11, heard Rush next year first time. PS. we can't consume beer on concert, I noticed from dvd they had that possibility, _still_ some standing like dead totems...(of course there always are but ..).

When I leave I don't know

What I'm hoping to find

When I leave I don't know

What I'm leaving behind...

What's next ?

2.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Nov 20 2011, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (BloodofTheZodiac @ Nov 18 2011, 11:57 AM)
When I watch the DVD, whether I'm drinking, high, drinking and high, or sober(yes I have watched it 4 times in it's entirety already)...I honestly don't notice Ged's vocals being off or not sounding good on this performance. I think he sounds quite decent actually. It probably has something to do with seeing crowd shots, and watching the band play their instruments, and all the other distractions like seeing the lights, and stage set up and video's in the background.(that was a lot of and's)

But when I listen to the CD...it's definitely more noticeable that he didn't sound overly great, compared to the show I saw in Montreal. But then again, that's probably because I was at the actual show, and thought they were spot on because of the reasons I mentioned above.

Regardless....for a man that age, he can still sing like a banshee.

Only Ronnie James Dio(RIP) could still sound as good as he did in his late 50's, early 60's as he did in his younger days.

goodpost.gif

I'll add that Ian Hunter, who is now in his mid-70s, can still sound like he did in Mott the Hoople's heyday.

I think Geddy's voice is definitely strained but I think that's a result of him having a stretch of show dates with no break AND having a cold (yes I maintain that he DID have a cold. . . no matter what people choose to believe). Poor guy.

Hey! I remember you from the DVD! They must've had you on camera a half dozen times. laugh.gif

I said it before and i will say it agian. They should have recorded the M.S.G. show a few weeks before. That show was great

QUOTE (druid13 @ Nov 28 2011, 02:16 PM)
Well originally there were huge rumors that Pittsburgh was going to be the show.....maybe they should have taped that one...it was great. bacon.gif

+ 100,000

I remember standing outside of Consol when I heard that rumor floating around. Was a long 1 hour wait for them doors to open up thinking about that possibility. Had awesome seats up front but alas....fate would have its way...

2.gif

I saw them at Red Rocks and yes there is a huge difference between being there and listening to the recordings but I thought Geddy sounded just as good as on the S & A tour. WHY do they insist on doing the recordings so late in their tours?! How about like 3-4 months into it do a recording when Geddy is warmed up but not tired from so many shows...

With so many bootlegs out there that are available for those who want complete shows I think it would be a good idea if they recorded multiple nights at one venue or several nights and melded them into one show for a really killer live CD. Video wise they should maybe do what many bands do these days and record two or three nights and edit the best bits together.

I commend them for picking a night and going for it and I will always cherish the Cleveland Blu Ray. I've been going to Rush shows since 1982 and I'm not exactly in the same shape I was then either, but "We Hold On". biggrin.gif

Ok, after taking a nap I think I'm ready to reply.

I think the DVD was great.

Only complaint I have is I think Ged's bass is a little muddy at bits where live it was so crisp and clear.

Did you buy your copy at a barber shop?

THAT could be your problem.

Maybe I'm overdoing my spacing here,

But we have to start somewhere.

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jan 18 2012, 05:17 PM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 10 2012, 01:15 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 9 2012, 02:39 PM)
I said it before and i will say it agian. They should have recorded the M.S.G. show a few weeks before. That show was great

goodpost.gif

+1

i have this show on dvd :

http://cdn103.iofferphoto.com/img3/item/212/065/072/rush-time-machine-live-madison-square-gardens-2011-dvd-b5376.jpg

wink.gif

QUOTE (RUDT @ Jan 19 2012, 06:10 AM)
QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jan 18 2012, 05:17 PM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 10 2012, 01:15 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 9 2012, 02:39 PM)

goodpost.gif

+1

i have this show on dvd :

http://cdn103.iofferphoto.com/img3/item/212/065/072/rush-time-machine-live-madison-square-gardens-2011-dvd-b5376.jpg

wink.gif

How is the quality?