Disappointed in TM DVD

orangefan244

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jan 19 2012, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Jan 19 2012, 06:10 AM)
QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jan 18 2012, 05:17 PM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 10 2012, 01:15 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 9 2012, 02:39 PM)
I said it before and i will say it agian. They should have recorded the M.S.G. show a few weeks before. That show was great

goodpost.gif

+1

i have this show on dvd :

http://cdn103.iofferphoto.com/img3/item/212/065/072/rush-time-machine-live-madison-square-gardens-2011-dvd-b5376.jpg

wink.gif

How is the quality?

i have a 4 camera mix version who got good audio and picture quality, but the camera work could have been better.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have mixed feelings about the new BluRay...

PROS:

* great crowd

* a certain excitement to the performance

* documentation of a very good tour (though not my favorite tour in recent years)

*some* cameras have crystal clear footage (see CONS below)

*Parts* of the set list

* Geddy's bass playing is on fire

CONS:

* Ged's voice was not in top form

* Neil's drums sound like crap - particularly his kick drum

* Overall mix is very muddy and lacks clarity

(what annoys me about the drum sound is that the clarity is vastly better on Neil's "Taking Center Stage" DVD. Though that was meant to be a drum heavy mix, at least you could hear the details on his ride, etc. whereas on TM it is a wash...other band DVDs were done better!)

* Some camera angles were just flat lousy - I think they had some focus problems with the camera back at the board - many of the full stage straight-on shots are a blur. the "blimp cam" was a neat idea, but the lo-def shots were crappy. They keep throwing in these lousy out of focus shots through out the show.

* some of the video editing was less than optimum. I felt they spent too much time trying to get gimmicky shots and too many really tight close-ups and they missed the larger beauty of the show. For example, of the 6 shows that I saw, I loved the intensity of the "spider" light rig coming down. The video doesn't really capture that very well - in part because they cut away to too many other shots...

* I was bummed they didn't have "I still love you man" at the end. I know it was because they couldn't get the releases they needed to, but still I liked that ending better.

Yeah, I know no DVD is perfect, but I think they missed some of the TM magic due to the above. In many ways, I still prefer Snakes and Arrows live as far as Rush live videos. (BTW, my ultimate benchmark for concert videos is Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize - crystal video, tastefully edited, reasonable crowd interaction, immaculate live sound all around, with solid performance, & excellent setlist)

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Jan 10 2012, 08:34 AM)
QUOTE (druid13 @ Nov 28 2011, 02:16 PM)
Well originally there were huge rumors that Pittsburgh was going to be the show.....maybe they should have taped that one...it was great. bacon.gif

+ 100,000

I remember standing outside of Consol when I heard that rumor floating around. Was a long 1 hour wait for them doors to open up thinking about that possibility. Had awesome seats up front but alas....fate would have its way...

2.gif

Dude, I travelled all the way from Yellowknife fu*king Canada to be at that show, it was KILLER!!

\M/ \M/

You bunch of miserable complainers.

You're a wretched lot who don't appreciate anything.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Jan 16 2012, 03:24 PM)
I saw them at Red Rocks and yes there is a huge difference between being there and listening to the recordings but I thought Geddy sounded just as good as on the S & A tour. WHY do they insist on doing the recordings so late in their tours?! How about like 3-4 months into it do a recording when Geddy is warmed up but not tired from so many shows...

The Cleveland show was the 9th of 37 shows on the second leg. The first leg ended mid October '10 - plenty of time for him to rest his voice. Why can't we all agree he's lost some of his range? It's not really a bad thing to me, just something that happens to aging rock artists. He's more than making up for it with his musicianship.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jan 20 2012, 08:26 PM)

I know, right? God, the very idea that someone would offer an honest opinion about a product they didn't like. It's disgusting. What a miserable lot. They should only ever compliment the things you like and shut the fk up if they disagree. Bastards.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jan 20 2012, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (drgrendel @ Jan 10 2012, 08:34 AM)
QUOTE (druid13 @ Nov 28 2011, 02:16 PM)
Well originally there were huge rumors that Pittsburgh was going to be the show.....maybe they should have taped that one...it was great. bacon.gif

+ 100,000

I remember standing outside of Consol when I heard that rumor floating around. Was a long 1 hour wait for them doors to open up thinking about that possibility. Had awesome seats up front but alas....fate would have its way...

2.gif

Dude, I travelled all the way from Yellowknife fu*king Canada to be at that show, it was KILLER!!

\M/ \M/

Ya that was one AWESOME show!!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 21 2012, 11:16 AM)

I know, right? God, the very idea that someone would offer an honest opinion about a product they didn't like. It's disgusting. What a miserable lot. They should only ever compliment the things you like and shut the fk up if they disagree. Bastards.

Shut up fool.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jan 22 2012, 03:10 AM)

Shut up fool.

confused13.gif

Shut up fool.

laugh.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jan 22 2012, 02:10 AM)

Shut up fool.

Make me. Nyah, nyah. I'm rubber and you're glue. You and what army? Sticks and stones may break my bones, but you're an anonymous person on the fking internet and your weak little retort might as well have been scrawled on the back of an issue of Tiger Beat for all the fear I'm feeling now. And your mother wears army boots.

I never understood that last one... why was "your mother wears army boots" a childhood insult? Or was that just where I grew up?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 22 2012, 09:06 AM)
I never understood that last one... why was "your mother wears army boots" a childhood insult? Or was that just where I grew up?

Oh you're grown up?

Everything you just said sounds like a whinny child to me...

tongue.gif

i have only just purchased this today - having decided to give it a bit of time smile.gif

i am going to leave aside the actual music performance, because these things are in the lap of the gods on any particular night, you can never predict when a band is going to have a good or bad night with any certainty.

but for me where it failed completely was as a visual experience - one of the great things visually on this tour was the constant movement of that fantastic lighting rig adding to the atmosphere ( at least in Europe it was) - you could have watched this entire DVD and been unaware of it's existence! - i mean I can see it here - but did it actually move in the cleveland gig?

d

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jan 22 2012, 09:34 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 22 2012, 09:06 AM)

Oh you're grown up?

Everything you just said sounds like a whinny child to me...

tongue.gif

Nice wink.gif lol

I said it before and i will say it agian. They should have recorded the M.S.G. show a few weeks before. That show was great

A) It's kinda hard to shit a hi-def video/audio crew at the drop of a hat.

cool.gif Kelly D's avatar is kickass!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Shut up fool.

Come on, d-rock! For christ' sakes!

You should have a comma after "up". tongue.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jan 23 2012, 03:15 PM)

A) It's kinda hard to shit a hi-def video/audio crew at the drop of a hat.

cool.gif Kelly D's avatar is kickass!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

If they would have planned ahead tongue.gif Cleveland ? Really ??? laugh.gif

Hey daniel I think you're alright, but for some reason you just annoy me, and I don't know for the life of me why......

We're cool.

I think the video itself looks great. The problems are too many shots of geeky fans (ps im one of them but we dont need to see it) and a subpar setlist that I just dont need to hear again. Bring on the CA tour already. Edited by greg2112

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jan 25 2012, 01:16 AM)
Hey daniel I think you're alright, but for some reason you just annoy me, and I don't know for the life of me why......

We're cool.

How do you expect for someone to be "Cool " with you after you tell them they Annoy you ???? laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 26 2012, 11:49 AM)

We're cool.

How do you expect for someone to be "Cool " with you after you tell them they Annoy you ???? laugh.gif

I was wondering that myself laugh.gif

Hey, well, can't please everyone. I'm always, under pretty much any circumstance, put off by people who dismiss others' opinions as mere whining. Don't get me started on "haters gonna hate" which is the most insulting meme I can think of in recent memory. So I wrote a little sarcastic reply. If that bugs anyone... well, it's one post in one thread, and if that's going to tarnish someone's opinion of me, I'll just have to live with it.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 26 2012, 11:49 AM)

We're cool.

Easy. It's the internet.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jan 22 2012, 04:10 AM)

Shut up fool.

Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion, man.