The future of Porcupine Tree in doubt

Tony R

It's always in the back of my mind that, while Steven is PT's chief songwriter, he's also (seemingly) a workaholic, and he immerses himself in all these other solo projects. At some point, he might spread himself TOO thin and decide to give something up. I just hope he doesn't give up PT.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 12 2011, 06:12 PM)
I'd be upset if they broke up but it wouldn't be that bad. Steven Wilson is practically PT and he'll always release great material.

While I agree that there'd be no PT without Steven Wilson, what the other three guys add in both the songwriting and performance (including touring member John Wesley) is what makes them special. In fact, hearing Gavin's drumming for the first time is what got me into the band.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Nov 12 2011, 05:18 PM)
If he only kept one thing going, I would want it to be PT.

this

I love Wilson's solo material. Don't care much for his other projects, though. Storm Corrosion should be good. But, to do away with Porcupine Tree would be a huge mistake. Of all the things he's involved in, it's PT that's the most successful.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 12 2011, 05:47 PM)
QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Nov 12 2011, 05:18 PM)
If he only kept one thing going, I would want it to be PT.

this

I love Wilson's solo material. Don't care much for his other projects, though. Storm Corrosion should be good. But, to do away with Porcupine Tree would be a huge mistake. Of all the things he's involved in, it's PT that's the most successful.

goodpost.gif

I hope they don't break up. I'm just starting to get into them but they are one of the only bands I like that are still together (and/or alive!) so they better stay together so I can see them on their next tour. angry.gif

It's not like Gavin won't find work

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 12 2011, 07:09 PM)
It's always in the back of my mind that, while Steven is PT's chief songwriter, he's also (seemingly) a workaholic, and he immerses himself in all these other solo projects. At some point, he might spread himself TOO thin and decide to give something up. I just hope he doesn't give up PT.

I really don't want to be a doubter, but based on what SW has been doing solo, I have opinionated feelings he may abandon PT. This, to me, would be one of the worse things to happen and I feel would also mark the slow decline after a rise to fame, of SW. Frankly, as much as I like the solo stuff, it doesn't come close to his band. There is no band like PT, IMO. They mix so well sonically.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 14 2011, 11:15 AM)
It's not like Gavin won't find work

Gavin is amazing. PT has opened the door for him. If PT breaks up, watch for another Prog super group to appear.