So who has Neils DVD?????

Ghostnotes

I'm an hour into the second disc. I know nothing about music, let alone drums, and I'm still getting a lot out of it. Not only am I learning some basics about drumming and how Neil does what he does, but I'm getting an appreciation for how a Rush song and show comes together from his point of view. I've read interviews with stage crew, Alex, and his gear manufacturers, so I had a bit of their perspective, and now it's nice to get Neil's.

Now Geddy needs to do a video wub.gif

I got it last month using the CD Universe/Guitar Center price match discount.

It took me three days to get through it also. I love it.

I've only seen it twice though because I've been derailed by the Time Machine DVD.

Listening to what Neil says is a highlight for me.

I'm not sure if this is a DVD where I would watch from beginning to end again. But I can easily see myself revisitng all of the chapters on a regular basis.

I've only got through 2 of the discs. Absolutely LOVE it! It's great to get the build-up about the song and then see it from an amazing POV. The sound mix is rather fun - of course the drums are at the front but the back can be interesting. For example, at the end of Marathon you can barely hear Ged at all but you can sure hear Alex (who sings quite well, TYVM). And I just love Neil's voice. He should consider doing VOs and narration. Edited by HowItIs

Got a...um... copy of it and loving every minute of it! Usually I don't succumb to the whole "narrative" and "drum cam" footage, but I've been systematically going through it and wow! Talk about some great stuff! I wish I had this back when I was trying to learn to play his stuff...it's inspired me to go revisit some of it here and there.....pause...run to the drum room....try the licks!

Pretty cool!

Got mine today from Ontario, with Neil's "Far and Away.." book.

I find this of more interest than Time Machine DVD (which I haven't actually gone through..because I felt bit disappointed and wasn't on that mood..maybe have a new try some day ; )..

30years after ESL..can't actually believe this..(remember still 1981 so well). Neil is so lively, so nice hear when he talks and play drums. Hard to follow, have a try someday when you are 58. Kiitos Neil and Merry Christmas 2011 !

Edited by hannuFIN

I think it's his best so far. It was most interesting, even for non-drummers, or even non-musicians. The insights he gives on how the songs were created and performed are priceless. Also, great timing with the Time Machine tour where he talks about all the great classic songs that were played. "A Work In Progress" only focused on the T4E "Freddie Gruber" era, and "Anatomy of a Drum Solo" only touched on the R30 solo, but this one covers so many aspects of performances from different eras. Also, I just like to hear the guy talk. He should record audio books.

I was actuality going to wait to learn BU2B and Caravan until the whole album was released.But after watching Caravan done in rehearsal, i changed my mind. It's not overly complicated but it really and finally hooked me after actually seeing it performed.

Also you can see how much sharper he is later on live if you play them back to back.

Yes it is long ,but anyone having problems with it?

disc one had sound errors,,no sound.

disc three had video and sound errors video not lining up with sound and after bravado section jumps back to menu...

disc two not watched yet they were out of order in the case.

probably going to return it for another from Amazon

aghhhhhhhhhhhhh

angry.gif

QUOTE (randyferron @ Jan 15 2012, 06:18 AM)

disc one had sound errors,,no sound.
disc three had video and sound errors video not lining up with sound and after bravado section jumps back to menu...

disc two not watched yet they were out of order in the case.

probably going to return it for another from Amazon

aghhhhhhhhhhhhh

angry.gif

No, I haven't run into any problems. Definitely return your copy for a new one!

QUOTE (randyferron @ Jan 15 2012, 08:18 AM)

I'm trying to remember what song it's in that the video freezes momentarily. The audio seems to be okay. I didn't worry about it too much because it was the only instance of it happening, and it doesn't last long.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 15 2012, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (randyferron @ Jan 15 2012, 08:18 AM)
Yes it is long ,but  anyone having problems with it?

I'm trying to remember what song it's in that the video freezes momentarily. The audio seems to be okay. I didn't worry about it too much because it was the only instance of it happening, and it doesn't last long.

The double layer DVD allows for a lot more information on the disc, but the image will freeze briefly when the player switches layers. I was hoping for a Blu Ray, but it was probably too costly. I'm guessing that Neil's DVDs are being bought by a limited audience. I wonder what the sales figures are for any of his DVDs compared to the Rush shows.