last movie you watched

sonicjams

http://otavafiles.fi/plaza/uploads/images/domefi/elokuvat/ajankohtaista/2013/sabotageposter580d5d5.jpg

Was more of a thriller/mystery than brainless, gun blasting Expendables rip off (which is kind of what I was expecting). However, it went from being an okay flick to a where-the-hell-did-this-crap-come-from movie in the last 15-20 minutes.

Has Ahnold made any good movies this century? Not sure if I've seen one.

• Like 2

http://otavafiles.fi/plaza/uploads/images/domefi/elokuvat/ajankohtaista/2013/sabotageposter580d5d5.jpg

Was more of a thriller/mystery than brainless, gun blasting Expendables rip off (which is kind of what I was expecting). However, it went from being an okay flick to a where-the-hell-did-this-crap-come-from movie in the last 15-20 minutes.

I liked The Last Stand. Basically just Arnold shooting up a bunch of shit, but it was pretty good.

Edited by Stormtron

I liked The Last Stand. Basically just Arnold shooting up a bunch of shit, but it was pretty good.

Forgot about that. Yeah I saw it and thought it was ok. I did like Ahnold going hand to hand with the dude on the bridge (or was it a gate or border?) towards the end.

http://www.empirecinemas.co.uk/_uploads/film_images/6080_4529.jpg

Good for what it was.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertainment/movies/images/spirited.JPG

Spirited Away

Never saw this. Was interesting enough to keep me involved the whole time BUT so many things were pulled out of nowhere that I wasn't sure what the main plot was supposed to be. Yeah yeah I know it's a magical fantasy and all that BUT...

[Typical ambiguity going on with anime stories & characters].

Grade: C+

Have Naussica waiting but will have to watch something else first. Too much trippy, left field stuff might put me in a coma. :blaze:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Spirited Away

Never saw this. Was interesting enough to keep me involved the whole time BUT so many things were pulled out of nowhere that I wasn't sure what the main plot was supposed to be. Yeah yeah I know it's a magical fantasy and all that BUT...

Have Naussica waiting but will have to watch something else first. Too much trippy, left field stuff might put me in a coma. :blaze:

I get you.

For me this film is flawless because I allow myself to approach Miyazaki from the angle of dreaming. If I allow myself to sink into his ideas hos films work perfectly.

But no worries apply to Nausicaa. That film is very linear. Same as Laputa. Miyazaki only started to overstuffed his films with Princess Mononoke, and he did not conciously try and rein it in until Pony, which I adore.

He has said many a time that Howl was his biggest challenge. Which is funny as it's right near the top for me.

But look to his films as experiences as much as stories. In a phantasmagorical way, much like Victorian fantasy, the strangeness and the absurdity of his free flowing films male a certain sense, and often end up on repeated viewings feeling closer to the real world than the toned down storytelling of most western animation.

• Like 2

Spirited Away

I get you.

For me this film is flawless because I allow myself to approach Miyazaki from the angle of dreaming. If I allow myself to sink into his ideas hos films work perfectly.

But no worries apply to Nausicaa. That film is very linear. Same as Laputa. Miyazaki only started to overstuffed his films with Princess Mononoke, and he did not conciously try and rein it in until Pony, which I adore.

He has said many a time that Howl was his biggest challenge. Which is funny as it's right near the top for me.

But look to his films as experiences as much as stories. In a phantasmagorical way, much like Victorian fantasy, the strangeness and the absurdity of his free flowing films male a certain sense, and often end up on repeated viewings feeling closer to the real world than the toned down storytelling of most western animation.

It's been so long with Naussica that I essentially remember nothing. I just remember liking it to some degree. Like you, I'm no massive anime fan. I like some and dislike some soooo the fact that it's anime won't really influence me in either direction.

I intentionally haven't seen Ponyo though. It seems more in the realm of Doraemon or Anpanman ((which aren't my thing)) than these other Miyazaki films that I've been watching the last couple of weeks.

Just started watching something completely different from Miyazaki (Cop Land) then I'll start Naussica.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Spirited Away

I get you.

It's been so long with Naussica that I essentially remember nothing. I just remember liking it to some degree. Like you, I'm no massive anime fan. I like some and dislike some soooo the fact that it's anime won't really influence me in either direction.

I intentionally haven't seen Ponyo though. It seems more in the realm of Doraemon or Anpanman ((which aren't my thing)) than these other Miyazaki films that I've been watching the last couple of weeks.

Just started watching something completely different from Miyazaki (Cop Land) then I'll start Naussica.

Nausicaa is one of my top favorite Miyazaki films. It's just beautiful.

I agree you have to kind of watch his films with the idea that they're very atmospheric and magical but still have such a strong tie on the real world. I always kind of feel that I slip into the childlike side of myself when I watch his movies. That sense of wonder that you lose as you get older.

Spirited Away

I get you.

Pony is more in the vein of Totoro with the warmth and playfulness of Kiki's Delivery Service. I had it imported on DVD a good year and more before it came out in the UK cinema's. I love it (actually, I enjoy it more than The Wind Rises). He wanted to get back to his roots, which was mostly to restore the child like sense of wonder with a more gentle playfulness, and for me it succeeded.

It also has some of the best hand drawn animation I have ever seen.

• Like 2

Spirited Away

I get you.

Pony is more in the vein of Totoro with the warmth and playfulness of Kiki's Delivery Service. I had it imported on DVD a good year and more before it came out in the UK cinema's. I love it (actually, I enjoy it more than The Wind Rises). He wanted to get back to his roots, which was mostly to restore the child like sense of wonder with a more gentle playfulness, and for me it succeeded.

It also has some of the best hand drawn animation I have ever seen.

Ah ok. I hear you.

You'd probably like some of the plays that junior high/high school students put on at their autumn school festivals out here. That innocence and playfulness you're talking about are captured in some of the better (original) stories. Interestingly, there's often the plot of the main characters going to another realm OR time. And by "often" I mean a good 50% of those school plays.

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/copland.jpg

Cop Land

Hadn't seen this since it came out. One of Sly's best performances. Good stuff from the entire cast too. Ray Liotta as yet another good bad guy or bad good guy...in any case, he's always believable in this way.