last movie you watched

sonicjams

Just finishing up watching Selma. A powerful moment in history, for sure, and subject matter that you'd think is Oscar™-worthy. But in the end, Oscar™ was right, I think. Selma was not Academy Award-winning material as a film.

http://hdwallpapersfactory.com/thumbnail/kate_hudson_movie_posters_almost_famous_desktop_1012x1500_hd-wallpaper-886300.jpg

I couldn't get into this the first time.

I will watch it again soon!

• Like 1

http://hdwallpapersfactory.com/thumbnail/kate_hudson_movie_posters_almost_famous_desktop_1012x1500_hd-wallpaper-886300.jpg

Really? I think it's probably better than Jerry Maguire.

"Of course I'd be home. I'm uncool." - Lester Bangs

• Like 2

I had to rewatch Jerry Maguire a couple of times before it clicked, so this doesn't surprise me!

• Like 1

I had to rewatch Jerry Maguire a couple of times before it clicked, so this doesn't surprise me!

Ah ok.

I think you'll like Almost Famous. It was done during Cameron Crowe's period of goodness, aka pre-Elizabethtown era. :LOL:

• Like 1

Ah ok.

I think you'll like Almost Famous. It was done during Cameron Crowe's period of goodness, aka pre-Elizabethtown era. :LOL:

I will definitely!

I looked at his filmography, I think a lot of his older work looks intriguing.

• Like 1

Ah ok.

I will definitely!

All the pre-Elizabethtown stuff I've seen that he's directed (Say Anything, Singles, Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous, Vanilla Sky) are excellent. I do admit that Vanilla Sky took a second viewing for me to like it but after that I thought it was genius. Cameron Diaz surprised the hell out of me. She was really good in that...and I don't think I've seen her in anything else that's good.

Ah ok.

I will definitely!

All the pre-Elizabethtown stuff I've seen that he's directed (Say Anything, Singles, Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous, Vanilla Sky) are excellent. I do admit that Vanilla Sky took a second viewing for me to like it but after that I thought it was genius. Cameron Diaz surprised the hell out of me. She was really good in that...and I don't think I've seen her in anything else that's good.

LOVE VANILLA SKY!

had no idea that was Crowe. Loved that from my first viewing, Diaz is an actress I like anyway (I enjoy throwaway comedies haha).

• Like 1

Ah ok.

I will definitely!

LOVE VANILLA SKY!

had no idea that was Crowe. Loved that from my first viewing, Diaz is an actress I like anyway (I enjoy throwaway comedies haha).

Yup, Vanilla Sky was Crowe. It was the last good movie of his that I've seen. That was 15 years ago already! My feeling about Crowe and his recent blunders is similar to you and Ridley Scott's last few messes. :LOL:

Actually, I agree with you in that Scott's sucked lately. BUT, his gap of crapdom is shorter than Crowe's...I liked American Gangster which came out a little over 8 years ago. I also haven't seen The Martian yet...it's being released out here tomorrow. Finally. Dammit. :LOL:

• Like 1

Ah ok.

I will definitely!

LOVE VANILLA SKY!

Yup, Vanilla Sky was Crowe. It was the last good movie of his that I've seen. That was 15 years ago already! My feeling about Crowe and his recent blunders is similar to you and Ridley Scott's last few messes. :LOL:

Actually, I agree with you in that Scott's sucked lately. BUT, his gap of crapdom is shorter than Crowe's...I liked American Gangster which came out a little over 8 years ago. I also haven't seen The Martian yet...it's being released out here tomorrow. Finally. Dammit. :LOL:

I plan to watch every Scott film I have missed. All my friends loved The Martian, and at the very least, Exodus looks good just for the effects. It will not replace Heston's The Ten Commandments though!

And as much as I love Kingdom Of Heaven, his cut only, I still think it needed a better lead actor. The biggest flaw in an otherwise classic film is Orlando Bloom (but I will argue this point until the day I die: Scott got a near excellent performance from him!).

American Gangster will be my next watch.

• Like 1

JohnnyBlaze, here is an excellent guide to Ridley Scott's films (I have been referring to it back and forth for a while now).

The list features the same top three as mine!

http://www.indiewire.com/article/the-films-of-ridley-scott-ranked-from-worst-to-best-20141130?page=1

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

JohnnyBlaze, here is an excellent guide to Ridley Scott's films (I have been referring to it back and forth for a while now).

http://www.indiewire.com/article/the-films-of-ridley-scott-ranked-from-worst-to-best-20141130?page=1

:cheers:

I haven't seen a bunch of the weaker ranked ones. And I haven't seen Legend since it was a year old...I must've been in junior high then. So I don't even remember it.

I definitely wouldn't rank Prometheus and Counselor over American Gangster. I particularly disliked Prometheus.

My top 3 Scott movies would probably be:

1) Alien (A+)

2) Gladiator (A+)

3) Blade Runner (A)

What else? Hmm, I haven't seen Kingdom of Heaven as I said in another thread. I remember you mentioning to check out the Director's Cut of that. Black Hawk Down, though still decent, wasn't as good as I had heard. And Thelma & Louise was better than I had expected. I just saw Exodus last week and didn't care for it.

Despite Scott's recent misses, he's still on my plus side so I'll definitely check out The Martian soon.

• Like 1

http://www.indiewire...20141130?page=1

I haven't seen a bunch of the weaker ranked ones. And I haven't seen Legend since it was a year old...I must've been in junior high then. So I don't even remember it.

I definitely wouldn't rank Prometheus and Counselor over American Gangster. I particularly disliked Prometheus.

1) Alien (A+)

2) Gladiator (A+)

3) Blade Runner (A)

What else? Hmm, I haven't seen Kingdom of Heaven as I said in another thread. I remember you mentioning to check out the Director's Cut of that. Black Hawk Down, though still decent, wasn't as good as I had heard. And Thelma & Louise was better than I had expected. I just saw Exodus last week and didn't care for it.

Despite Scott's recent misses, he's still on my plus side so I'll definitely check out The Martian soon.

I love Legend. A pretty mediocre screenplay, but the imagery: Peter Jackson took some notes, I am certain!

As for Prometheus, I will never watch that again. Hate is not a strong enough word to describe how I feel. The original Alien felt real, with an understated script, a cast with a lack of vanity, and naturalistic acting.

Prometheus had a captain who looked like she had walked onto the set from a cosmetic advert. Which she most likely did. It felt like a typical Hollywood sci-fi.

Black Hawk Down has never intrigued me.

• Like 1

1) Alien (A+)

2) Gladiator (A+)

3) Blade Runner (A)

I love Legend. A pretty mediocre screenplay, but the imagery: Peter Jackson took some notes, I am certain!

As for Prometheus, I will never watch that again. Hate is not a strong enough word to describe how I feel. The original Alien felt real, with an understated script, a cast with a lack of vanity, and naturalistic acting.

Prometheus had a captain who looked like she had walked onto the set from a cosmetic advert. Which she most likely did. It felt like a typical Hollywood sci-fi.

Counselor wasn't that good as well and I only saw the supposedly "better" director's cut. Cormac McCarthy may be good at books but screenwriting is a different language and he just doesn't have the chops for it. I took a screenwriting course in college and I know firsthand about this. Plus, that car sex scene and the mechanical beheading of

Brad Pitt

were nauseating in different ways and I rarely get sickened by graphic violence in major movies.

220px-Police_Academy_film.jpg

220px-Hollwood_Shuffle_DVD.jpg

• Like 1

1) Alien (A+)

2) Gladiator (A+)

3) Blade Runner (A)

Counselor wasn't that good as well and I only saw the supposedly "better" director's cut. Cormac McCarthy may be good at books but screenwriting is a different language and he just doesn't have the chops for it. I took a screenwriting course in college and I know firsthand about this. Plus, that car sex scene and the mechanical beheading of

Brad Pitt

were nauseating in different ways and I rarely get sickened by graphic violence in major movies.

220px-Police_Academy_film.jpg

220px-Hollwood_Shuffle_DVD.jpg

What was so superior about the directors cut?

I saw the trailer and decided life was too short. I *might* give it a go. But like 1492, I expect it will be at the bottom of my Scott pile (higher than Prometheus though. That film has its fans but I am willing to incite mass burnings of every copy of that film).

Edited by Segue Myles

I watched, "The Deer Hunter" last night. Amazing film! If you have never seen this classic you definitely should. Powerful
  • Like 5

I watched, "The Deer Hunter" last night. Amazing film! If you have never seen this classic you definitely should. Powerful

Understate, much?

Haha...yeah it is devastating! And on a slight side note...young Meryl Streep is weirdly HOT!

• Like 1

Understate, much?

Haha...yeah it is devastating! And on a slight side note...young Meryl Streep is weirdly HOT!

She isn't weirdly hot, shes beautiful.

• Like 1

Understate, much?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/04/11/article-3431481-30DE1FA800000578-982_636x422.jpg

Understate, much?

I agree, but that isn't a popular opinion haha!

Understate, much?

How can you not love her after watching Defending Your Life? Such an underrated romcom from Albert Brooks.

That ending to Deer Hunter drives me to tears every time. I have a feeling a certain scene in Boyz N The Hood is a nod to that since the character names rhyme.

• Like 2