last movie you watched

sonicjams

The situation with this Donner cut of Superman II is all the stuff shot by the guy who took over has been removed. They originally filmed both films back-to-back in 1977-78 and Hackman refused to work for the new guy so no new Hackman footage could be created. It's seems like certain aspects have been emphasised and some marginalised. One difference is a line i noticed missing during the bit where the James Bond Sheriff confronts General Zod, when his deputy has his sawn-off shotgun taken away and Zod fires it at himself accidentally. In the original he says "crude noisemaker" but in the original the scene is cut before he says it. There's also more of Lois and Superman in the fortress of solitude.

Do you think the Donner cut is better?

It's hard to say without seeing the original one again, like i said it's been a while. From what I can remember it's not that different, just bits and pieces missing or extra. it's worth a look but it's not that big of a deal as far as i can see.

And the final Superman II verdict is: when I watch it again I'll be watching the original.

Ah.

I remember a few years ago when the Director's cut version of Affleck Daredevil was released. A lot of people were stating how much better he new cut was. I haven't seen the DD director's cut but I can't imagine it being that much better given the crappy versions of Elektra and Bullseye + the cramming of an Elektra story in there in the first place. Ben Daredevil wasn't even close to being the main problem with that flick.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

And the final Superman II verdict is: when I watch it again I'll be watching the original.

Ah.

I remember a few years ago when the Director's cut version of Affleck Daredevil was released. A lot of people were stating how much better he new cut was. I haven't seen the DD director's cut but I can't imagine it being that much better given the crappy versions of Elektra and Bullseye + the cramming of an Elektra story in there in the first place. Ben Daredevil wasn't even close to being the main problem with that flick.

It's not that the Donner cut is bad, but the only things I noticed were good scenes that were missing.

Wait a minute one more part that was missing from the Donner cut that's unforgivable, the part where Zod and co crash through the wall and Lex says "Even with all this accumulated knowledge, when will these dummies learn to use a door knob?"

Oh yeah I've remembered something else, it's quite important too. When Superman decides to renounce his powers to be with Lois in the Lester theatrical version it's Lara (Susannah York) who he speaks to in the fortress. Marlon Brando's scenes were removed completely because he wanted too much money. His Jor-El replaces Lara in the Donner cut.

Oh yeah I've remembered something else, it's quite important too. When Superman decides to renounce his powers to be with Lois in the Lester theatrical version it's Lara (Susannah York) who he speaks to in the fortress. Marlon Brando's scenes were removed completely because he wanted too much money. His Jor-El replaces Lara in the Donner cut.

That's a big difference

Wait a minute one more part that was missing from the Donner cut that's unforgivable, the part where Zod and co crash through the wall and Lex says "Even with all this accumulated knowledge, when will these dummies learn to use a door knob?"

Hackman! You just want to punch him in the face because you're not sure how he's screwing you. Love him!

• Like 1

Hackman! You just want to punch him in the face because you're not sure how he's screwing you. Love him!

Yeah Hackman steals the film along with Terence Stamp.

That's a big difference

Another reason Brando's scenes were removed were because he was suing the producers for $50 million because of a dispute over profits from the first film. It is a big difference but I forget now what the original scene was like.

Anyway i don't see how these changes make the film better in the Donner version, it's basically the same film but with a lot of good stuff cut out and some other stuff put in.

Edited by treeduck

http://i60.tinypic.com/2dh7jwo.jpg

I haven't seen High Spirits for years! I used to love it as a kid