Working Man ATWAS Solo Overdubs

kevorkazito

Yesterday was the 35th anniversary of Rush's ATWAS stop in my city. I wasn't there but my friend who was told me about Alex breaking strings. Alex broke a lot of strings then and my friend then told me that the Working Man solo's in ATWAS were dubbed-in later because of a broken string during the recording. As we know, there were three shows in June 1976 and the the version of Working Man with the broken string had to be used as it sounded the best. So Alex was forced to over-dub the solos.

I've been into Rush since 1979 and I never knew that tid-bit.

Anyone else surprised?

One of my favorite things about Alex's playing is how hard he bites into his strings when he solos. When I play I use Dunlop nylon .60mm picks and could kinda get it. What brand of picks does Alex use?

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 18 2011, 02:38 PM)
Surprised? Not at all. It's a very common and acceptable practice.

He simply killed the "Working Man" solo on the Time Machine Tour.

1022.gif AlexFinal.gif 1022.gif

He certainly did!

I didnt know that but I'm not surprised at all. Virtually every live album from back in the day had overdubs on them, some more than others. That is why I'm such a big fan of bootlegs of FM recordings, KBFH shows, and audience recordings. What they play is what you hear.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Oct 18 2011, 05:49 PM)
I didnt know that but I'm not surprised at all. Virtually every live album from back in the day had overdubs on them, some more than others. That is why I'm such a big fan of bootlegs of FM recordings, KBFH shows, and audience recordings. What they play is what you hear.

One reason I love Queen's "Live Killers" album - no dubs.

Pretty much all live efforts have dubs, though. Maiden Japan says it well, "Who gives a *&%!"

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Oct 18 2011, 05:49 PM)

KISS Alive is another of my favorite 'live' albums that, according to Eddie Kramer, was totally redone except for the drums.

QUOTE (kevorkazito @ Oct 18 2011, 03:14 PM)
When I play I use Dunlop nylon .60mm picks and could kinda get it. What brand of picks does Alex use?

The only thing I recall reading about his picks is from the 1980 Guitar player Magazine interview:

I like white nylon ones made by Kay [3057 N. Rockwell Ave., Chicago, IL 60618]. They're about equal in thickness to Fender mediums.

More currently, see 11:10 of this video of his TM rig rundown (Dunlop mediums):

I'm sure with enough searching on the web, one could find what kind of socks he wore on each tour as well... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (BigBob @ Oct 20 2011, 07:41 AM)
Dude, I love Live Killers!! What about Different Stages was there any overdubs cause that is sweet!

trink39.gif for Killers.

Not sure about DS, but I'm guessing it's doctored, esp for vocals(?).

Somewhere....I think its during 2112 Neil breaks a snare...or should I say the connecting strap holding on his snares broke...leaving him with a tom sounding snare for awhile.

Shouldn't a live album sound 'live'? I mean, what's the point of a live album if it's going to sound just like a studio recording? I think it should be natural. If I want to hear perfect interpretations of the songs I'll listen to the studio versions.

More currently, see 11:10 of this video of his TM rig rundown (Dunlop mediums):

I remember that GP... wearing the rose colored shirt...

Thanks for the link... I think that's where I am at by using the nylon Dunlops at .60mm( the gray ones).

I have to get one of his actual used in show picks... you never know the veracity of claims when you see them on eBay. Now I know what the Time Machine ones look like.

QUOTE (BlameCanada @ Oct 20 2011, 07:13 AM)
I'm sure with enough searching on the web, one could find what kind of socks he wore on each tour as well...  biggrin.gif

In one pic of Alex from the Time Machine tour, I could swear he was wearing the Rush socks they sold during the tour laugh.gif I guess it's cool if they like their merch well enough to wear it themselves! I love old pics of Geddy where he's wearing Rush tees...makes me smile cool.gif

Edited by 1 of the 7

I don't think ATWAS was overdubbed that much...I think I remember reading that they fixed an out of tune note here and there....ESL was pretty much ALL overdubbed! And like someone else said it sounded like they recorded it live in a studio!

I think they tried to overcompensate for the RAW sound of ATWAS by making ESL a little more "warm" I can't stand the sound of ASOH! I think they finally got the "live" sound rounded out on Different Stages and after!