Rush "Sectors" Box Sets Coming in November

Jag2112

I wish Steven Wilson would remix them.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 7 2011, 09:20 AM)

he did the new Aqualung 5.1 thats coming in Nov. Can't wait. I also think I'm gonna have to throw down for these box sets.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Oct 7 2011, 05:49 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 7 2011, 09:20 AM)

he did the new Aqualung 5.1 thats coming in Nov. Can't wait. I also think I'm gonna have to throw down for these box sets.

There's a track from that album on the new Classic Rock Presents...Prog cover CD and it sounds great!

Nice $$$$$$ maker for Mercury new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Only 1 CD from each set is in 5.1 fists crying.gif

"Each album is packaged in a replica vinyl mini-jacket of the original album release with all three box sets forming a Rush CD road case."

SECTOR 1: Rush through All The World's A Stage, and on DVD in 5.1, Fly By Night

SECTOR 2: A Farewell To Kings through Exit...Stage Left, and on DVD in 5.1, A Farewell To Kings

SECTOR 3: Signals through A Show Of Hands, and on DVD in 5.1, Signals

As much as I love AFTK...I can't see spending $$ for a box set to get better sound unsure.gif

If the individual albums are all re-mastered then perhaps the crime of the 1997 releases will be made up for.

The reproduction of the vinyl album covers is ok, but you can't read anything at that size when it was originally produced at twelve inches. I wish they would let Hugh Syme redo the booklets sort of like how Storm Thorgerson did for Pink Floyd. The old elements are all there, but they are reformatted and enhanced for the CD format.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 7 2011, 09:04 AM)
I'm out. I'll either get the 5.1 releases individually if possible or not at all. I'm not buying another re-release of old material unless it's in 5.1, and I'm not buying a whole friggin' set just to get one album in 5.1. That's retarded.

This makes no sense to me. Why would they do the three Sector Boxes all in 5.1.

It must be a cash grab.

They will probably do the other back catalog in 5.1 down the road.

Will the 5.1 audio really blow away the Japan SHM pressings?

I see the Sector Boxes are going to house the cds in mini vinyl replica sleeves too.

Endles........

Agreed...this is total cash-grab bullshit! And who decided which albums would be in 5.1? AFTK over Hemispheres? Ridiculous. Like others on here, I'll wait for the individual albums to be put out in 5.1 or I'll get nothing at all. f***ing stupid.

Oh my God, best week EVER! Come on guys, this is everything up to Signals being digitally remastered! Isn't that great? So what if it's not all in 5.1? They might just be testing the waters to see how well the 5.1 versions of the albums fly with the market. Even though I don't have the equipment up to play 5.1 audio running in the basement yet, I'll enjoy listening to the 96/24 audio through some good HiFi headphones.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 7 2011, 04:02 PM)
Will the 5.1 audio really blow away the Japan SHM pressings?

I'm sure they will however I don't consider the SHMs discs to be the best version of the catalog on disc. Although they do have better artwork, to me the SHM discs don't sound any better than the remasters or a good vinyl rip.

Something about this doesn't feel right. It makes no mention of Rich Chycki doing the 5.1 mixes (whereas with MP they made a big deal about how much time was put into the surround mix), and when it says "Transferred over to 96/24" that seems like they didn't make new masters of it or anything. This feels like a cheap repackaging by Universal to me.

Besides that, how do they go with FBN over 2112 for the first box set?

Edited by thizzellewashington

I've said this elsewhere - I hope this doesn't mean the individual '97 remasters suddenly become hard to find. I still have a few left to collect and don't want to buy the whole mess over again. I don't have a great sound system to justify the new ones, and have to save my $150 for tix next year.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Oct 8 2011, 05:54 PM)
I've said this elsewhere - I hope this doesn't mean the individual '97 remasters suddenly become hard to find. I still have a few left to collect and don't want to buy the whole mess over again. I don't have a great sound system to justify the new ones, and have to save my $150 for tix next year.

Since the 97 remasters are easily the worst sounding versions of their albums, I wouldnt worry too much about not having them all. If you really want the best versions, go out and find the MFSL versions (except 2112, which is almost as loud and brickwalled as the 97 remasters), then search for either the original "atomic" CD's, the Japanese "P" masterings (i.e. the 25.8p versions of Moving Pictures or the 32.8p version of Power Windows), or the Canadian WANK/VANK/ANC masterings, which are pretty easy to find on ebay and can be had for pretty good prices if you're patient. Any of the above mentioned versions will blow away the 97 remasters in terms of dynamic range and detail.

They should still be easy to find (amazon, best buy or a store that sells used cds). I wouldn't worry about buying any of the MFSL versions unless you just want them. None are worth the price on ebay nor do Moving Pictures or Signals sound better. Really the ONLY reason to own the Signals MFSL is for the slightly longer version of The Weapon.

QUOTE (fordgt99 @ Oct 9 2011, 08:29 PM)

They should still be easy to find (amazon, best buy or a store that sells used cds). I wouldn't worry about buying any of the MFSL versions unless you just want them. None are worth the price on ebay nor do Moving Pictures or Signals sound better. Really the ONLY reason to own the Signals MFSL is for the slightly longer version of The Weapon.

99!

I'm not sure if "The Weapon" is actually longer than the mass production "Signals" version.

The fact of the matter is that MFSL got ahold of the "Signals" version that was not the final green light pressing to Mercury Records.

That extra keyboard part isn't added in, it was actually recorded that way to begin with and the boys didn't like it so they added an extra lyrical line for the final pressing.

The MFSL version should be owned by all Rush fans! It's incredible to hear the song without that added lyrical line!!

I contacted MFSL years ago and questioned them on this release and that's what they told me.

For some reason they got the master that didn't contain those added lyrics.

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 9 2011, 11:50 PM)
QUOTE (fordgt99 @ Oct 9 2011, 08:29 PM)

99!

I'm not sure if "The Weapon" is actually longer than the mass production "Signals" version.

The fact of the matter is that MFSL got ahold of the "Signals" version that was not the final green light pressing to Mercury Records.

That extra keyboard part isn't added in, it was actually recorded that way to begin with and the boys didn't like it so they added an extra lyrical line for the final pressing.

The MFSL version should be owned by all Rush fans! It's incredible to hear the song without that added lyrical line!!

I contacted MFSL years ago and questioned them on this release and that's what they told me.

For some reason they got the master that didn't contain those added lyrics.

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

Thanks for the info. I actually did find a copy of Signals & Moving Pictures currently at reasonable price levels on ebay. Mid 30 range and only a few bids. Those suckers wanting $100+ can keep dreaming.