Neil's New DVD

Merely Space

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Omg. We were at the show at S.P.A.C. We saw the filming and were wondering what it was for.

This show we gathered outside the bathroom when you can usually hear Neil warming up from the room above and saw Neil with his back to the window behind a small kit being filmed. Unfortunately he turned around. Saw the crowd gathering and closed the blinds.

Took advantage of a holiday day off today and made the trip out to Guitar Center - at first it didn't seem like they were going to match the CD Universe price, but they did, so I picked up a 2112 mug and a Rush sticker. The cashier was telling me they had other Rush things like guitar picks, but I got out of there before I spent any more money - I've done way too much damage this weekend!!!

I got a message about this DVD from a fan in Germany and I have lost your contact info. Please send me your message again.

I still haven't had a chance to watch the entire DVD yet. It's hard to carve out an eight hour day for such things, but I hope to soon.

Anyone else have an indexing problem on disc 3?

The Trees and Natural Science seem to have each others number causing the DVD not to play through.

The will play individually, but not in sequence.

I've not downloaded the extra footage yet. ( I wanted to watch the DVD once through first)

QUOTE (Cstoliker @ Oct 8 2011, 04:03 PM)
Omg. We were at the show at S.P.A.C. We saw the filming and were wondering what it was for.

This show we gathered outside the bathroom when you can usually hear Neil warming up from the room above and saw Neil with his back to the window behind a small kit being filmed. Unfortunately he turned around. Saw the crowd gathering and closed the blinds.

I just watched disc 1 and you can see him talking in the rehearsal room with the blinds open. Later when he demonstrates his warm up the blinds are closed.

Some stand outs from disc 1:

I have a new appreciation for Workin' Them Angels. It was never my favorite Rush song, but I get how the rhythm works now.

On BU2B Neil offers no big insights other than how he plays the ride on the crash cymbal. He mentions that he hadn't done that since 1976 on 2112. Watching it makes you realize that it is his most old school type playing in a long time. Very seventies drumming.

When discussing Freewill the interviewer ask him about the fusion drumming in the solo section. He smiles and says that the crash cymbal in the drum fill was actually a Keith Moon thing.

Neil is getting more cool points all the time on this DVD. I can't wait to watch disc 2 tomorrow. I just can't make it through the whole thing in one sitting, but that is a good thing. Lots and lots of stuff to watch.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Oct 11 2011, 12:01 PM)
UPDATE REQUEST

"...download 35 minutes of additional performance & interview footage, available only to Guitar Center customers..."

^ has anyone d/l'd the extra footage from GC?

Just downloaded the bonus material. Very nice! It's just what Doctor Birdsong said: Digital Man and The Main Monkey Business S & A Tour performances (but drums only footage), Subdivisions and Far Cry rehearsal footage, and about 15 minutes of new interview footage (covering Consistency, Stamina, and Balance).

I just finished my first viewing of Taking Center Stage...all three discs over several sittings. Have not yet watched the bonus material online. While I was at GC to get this DVD, I also picked up A Work in Progress, Fire on Ice and Anatomy of a Drum Solo. I can't wait to watch those over the coming weekends. Having just met Neil's former kit, Chromey, a couple of weeks ago, I am more of a fan of Rush and the Professor than ever before. Rush on, people!

I watched up to Workin' Them Angels on the first disc today. If you're afraid you might be at a disadvantage by not being a drummer, fear not - I know next to nothing about drums, and I still find it enjoyable (and am learning quite a lot). It's great to see what Neil is doing close-up. It does make me wish there were similar DVD's focusing on bass and guitar!

And welcome, mrslaurajones - I believe we've met on Facebook! I'm Carrie bekloppt.gif

Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Oct 15 2011, 06:38 PM)
If you're afraid you might be at a disadvantage by not being a drummer, fear not - I know next to nothing about drums, and I still find it enjoyable (and am learning quite a lot). It's great to see what Neil is doing close-up. It does make me wish there were similar DVD's focusing on bass and guitar!

goodpost.gif

I watched up to Workin' Them Angels on the first disc today. If you're afraid you might be at a disadvantage by not being a drummer, fear not - I know next to nothing about drums, and I still find it enjoyable (and am learning quite a lot). It's great to see what Neil is doing close-up. It does make me wish there were similar DVD's focusing on bass and guitar!

And welcome, mrslaurajones - I believe we've met on Facebook! I'm Carrie bekloppt.gif

Us drummers a lot of times don't get the credit we deserve. There is a lot that goes into playing at an elite level. I've always said playing drums is just as hard and takes just as much work as piano or guitar or anything else. I think Neil said that same thing back in the day. I think it may take more work actually. We have four limbs to develop(which takes years) and you have to coordinate them as well all while keeping a steady internal clock for the rest of the band.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Oct 18 2011, 12:18 AM)

Us drummers a lot of times don't get the credit we deserve. There is a lot that goes into playing at an elite level. I've always said playing drums is just as hard and takes just as much work as piano or guitar or anything else. I think Neil said that same thing back in the day. I think it may take more work actually. We have four limbs to develop(which takes years) and you have to coordinate them as well all while keeping a steady internal clock for the rest of the band.

Good points! I keep asking myself how he can remember all this. Years of doing it, for sure, but still... It's also giving me an appreciation of how a Rush show comes together from Neil's/the band's standpoint (I've actually read more from the crew's perspective in the past).

QUOTE (presto123 @ Oct 17 2011, 10:18 PM)

goodpost.gif

Can someone confirm that they ordered and have already received this from Amazon?

I tried to get it at my local music store, but they didn't have it and called the distributor directly who said that it is not due out until November and that Amazon's date is wrong.

Is the bonus material from the Guitar Center purchase really worth it? (it's $40 there) I wanted to get it at my local music store, but may order it for $30 from Amazon if someone can confirm that they are in fact shipping it out now.

I also got it at Guitar Center, and asked if they would match the CD Universe price of ~$24.00 (I brought a copy of the web page). At first they weren't going to, citing the exclusive content as the reason, then agreed. I got the 2112 mug and Rush sticker to reward them for doing so biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ytserush @ Oct 12 2011, 11:58 PM)
Anyone else have an indexing problem on disc 3?

The Trees and Natural Science seem to have each others number causing the DVD not to play through.
The will play individually, but not in sequence.

I've not downloaded the extra footage yet. ( I wanted to watch the DVD once through first)

I finally got to the third disc today and it will not play straight through. I think this is on purpose because it is a bonus disc of special features like a lot of DVDs come with these days. I think you are supposed to just pick and choose which entry you like. As a Rush fan I want to see it all, but not everyone wants to see the extras. Whenever I start watching all the bonus features from a movie my wife leaves the room.

QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Oct 6 2011, 07:24 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Oct 5 2011, 01:31 PM)
Checked the Guitar Center website, and was surprised to find a north Houston store was listed as having Taking Center Stage AVAILABLE!!!

Hahahahahaha!

Funny thing, when I got there, they didn't even know they had it.  It had just arrived, and was sitting on somebody's desk in back.  I had to show them that their own website showed they had it, and wait for them to find it.

Packaging is nice, and a sticker claims 35 minutes of bonus footage for GC customers.

Now to watch it!

I live closer to clear lake G.C.

Think i will call them now to see if the have it down there.

Nice kit Ghostnotes! You play lefty? (seeing where your ride is set up) Or "switch hit" (seeing how your electronic kit is set up)

I burned the downloaded extras from Guitar Center to a disc and it is 39 minutes of "well worth it". Neil just slays the drums on Digital Man and the interview section is very informative. I've learned a lot from this DVD about the songs, the band and NP as a musician. It would be great for any fan of the band.

I watched the first 2 discs Saturday night. 1 of the 7 is correct - you needn't be a drummer to enjoy this. I was mesmerized by the explanations, the rehearsal, the performances... everything! Neil is definitely working his tuchas off back there. I love seeing how he does some of those fills and it's great that they slow most of them down. Just amazing stuff!

The mix is fascinating too: yes, drums are at the front but the other stuff - Geddy & Alex's voice and guitar/bass - change depending on the song. The mix of Marathon is especially interesting as you can clearly hear Alex singing the harmony at the end. biggrin.gif

Haven't watched Disc 3 yet but I will look out for some of the things mentioned here. I got mine from GC, too.