Storm Corrosion

Gompers

QUOTE (The K Man @ May 4 2012, 12:39 PM)
Portnoy was never a part of this project, despite rumors to the contrary years ago.

This project ? No he was not. They were trying to record an album a few years back and they had a hard time getting together , someone was on the road or someone was recording

Edited by metaldad

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 4 2012, 01:19 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 4 2012, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ May 3 2012, 06:28 AM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ May 3 2012, 02:07 AM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 2 2012, 11:24 PM)
I think one reason why a lot of people were expecting it to be heavier is because Mike Portnoy was rumored to be involved.

Actually, I never remember hearing about Portnoy being involved with the project. That would have run the project into the ground, seeing as how MP is taking a nu-metal turn in his drumming. I just can't see Portnoy work with either MA or SW for something like Storm Corrosion. Just doesn't seem right.

I was expecting this to be heavy for a simple reason: this project combines two artists who are known to make heavy music. To hear something so mellow from the duo is unexpected, but I must admit that it IS refreshing.

Refreshing in an Ambien kind of way.

goodpost.gif No trouble sleeping after listening to this

trink39.gif

That's the trouble I'm having with Steven Wilson's solo album....atmospheric and sleep inducing. I certainly don't roll down my car window and BLAST Grace For Drowning on a sunny Saturday. biggrin.gif

Give me PT and Blackfield any day over all of this.

Edited by Presto-digitation

I got to listen to the whole album today...friend of a friend...

I've got to say, I think I absolutely misjudged this album before it even came out. I'm glad to say, it's pretty amazing!!

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 4 2012, 06:03 PM)
Got mine in the mail today. I do like it and its pretty much what I expected but its going to need more listens. I love the title track and Ljudet Innan. Its not going to be album of the year but it may be in my top 10.

Yeah, it's pretty good stuff. Not all of the songs are like Drag Ropes (which is actually growing on me), so that's a good thing. Needs to be played on a good system though. There are a lot of intricacies in the instrumentation.

Drag Ropes is one of my least favorites on the album, although I don't disklike it. For those judging the album based on one song, be patient with the rest and you may like it.

And metaldad, judging by your handle, I'm assuming you're a MP fan. Good for you; I'm not and I couldn't be happier with him not being on the album. So here's another posting saying I'm happy he's not on the album, which was not the main intention of my last post.

I'm amazed at the number of MP fanboys around. There are many better drummers that aren't as flashy and arrogant as him. But I'm guessing that if one uses the word metal to describe themselves that subtlety isn't in the cards.

I probably like tracks 2-5 all more than Drag Ropes, but I do like it.

I like a lot of the projects Portnoy has been involved with over the years (DT, LTE, TA, solo Neal Morse, etc. are all good..AM sucks), but I am not a fan of the man himself. He is a gigantic horse's ass with a big mouth who is always ripping people, and then when people react, he acts all upset like he is the victim of too much criticism when all he is doing is "telling it like it is," which is always his out for saying whatever he wants and passing it off as his version of the truth, yet he gets pissy when anyone dares do the same thing about him. Props to SW and MA for keeping him far away from this project, as had they asked him to what drums are on this, you know he would have pissed and moaned about being underused.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 4 2012, 10:52 PM)
Wait what? It arrived already? Mine hasn't even been shipped yet! What gives? It says it'll be shipped the release date, May 8.

Yeah, my copy has yet to arrive as well. Did you order the Roadrunner edition by any chance? Cause did and I'm starting to worry cause it looks like everyone's getting their copies in the post now.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 4 2012, 11:52 PM)
Wait what? It arrived already? Mine hasn't even been shipped yet! What gives? It says it'll be shipped the release date, May 8.

I pre-ordered mine from The Omega Order when they were having that huge sale last month.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ May 5 2012, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 4 2012, 10:52 PM)

Yeah, my copy has yet to arrive as well. Did you order the Roadrunner edition by any chance? Cause did and I'm starting to worry cause it looks like everyone's getting their copies in the post now.

Roadrunner edition? That's the only edition isn't it? unsure.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 5 2012, 05:21 PM)

Roadrunner edition? That's the only edition isn't it? unsure.gif

I'm referring to that CD/BluRay/Vinyl package that Roadrunner had on presale back in March.

At amazon. I think.

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 5 2012, 11:53 PM)

At amazon. I think.

Oh I preordered mine from the record label themselves. I got the one that included the vinyl along with the CD/BluRay plus a signed poster plus free download of the album the day before release day.

No mine hasn't arrived yet. It's been leaked.

I hope to get mine next week. I ordered the Deluxe Edition, with vinyl, thought RoadRunner.

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 6 2012, 12:35 PM)
Mine arrived yesterday, CD and Blu-Ray.

Ripped it for lossless enjoyment on the go... wink.gif

I've recorded myself speaking every word individually in the English language so I can play it back and "speak" in lossless format...

eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 6 2012, 08:01 PM)

I've recorded myself speaking every word individually in the English language so I can play it back and "speak" in lossless format...

eyesre4.gif

Strange because your written speech is very lossy...

and my post was a nudge, nudge.... ph34r.gif

Edited by Tony R

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 6 2012, 02:55 PM)

eyesre4.gif

That's why I'm doing it, it's time to tighten up the ship!

1287.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 6 2012, 09:12 PM)

eyesre4.gif

1287.gif

huh.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 6 2012, 03:35 PM)

eyesre4.gif

1287.gif

huh.gif

Oh yeah lossless is so important I need to think about it constantly!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 6 2012, 09:43 PM)

eyesre4.gif

1287.gif

huh.gif

tongue.gif

signs015.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 6 2012, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 6 2012, 09:43 PM)

eyesre4.gif

1287.gif

huh.gif

tongue.gif

signs015.gif

Is it lossless beer?

unsure.gif

I have listened to this album several times in its entirety and I can say that many of you metal heads WILL not like this at all. There isn't the slightest bit of metal anywhere.

That said, I think this album is awesome in its own right. There is nothing out there that sounds like this. It is very mellow, haunting and beautifully ambient.