Dog Years vs. I Think I'm Going Bald

drbirdsong

Which song is the worse one?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Which song is the worse one?

• Dog Years
    • I Think I'm Going Bald
    • Other

I dont get the hate for Dog Years. It's one of the few songs on T4E that I do like. There are others that are infinately worse. Without a doubt, my least favorite Rush tune is Rivendell. That song is a disgrace.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Sep 23 2011, 05:46 PM)
QUOTE (druid13 @ Sep 23 2011, 01:02 PM)
Oh Yeah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKIXIZCgoQU

Watched the whole thing, like a boss.

DOOOOOG YEARS!

Live stuff, bootlegs, unreleased rarities... I'm okay with. When someone just takes the studio albums, chops them up and puts them on YouTube with a picture of the cover art... I have a problem with that.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 22 2011, 11:55 AM)
It reminds me of teenagers who write horrible poetry about life when all they've experienced is what they've seen on television or observed hanging out at Starbucks.

That would be wonderful it it were actually true. Peart had spent a year in England while still in his teens and they all had several years experience of grueling traveling across the country playing in bars and arenas by the time the song was written.

I'm curious if you would have as much of a problem with Dog Years if the words doggie and canine were switched. Though 'canine heaven' wouldn't have sung as well which was most likely the main consideration.

I love both of them... neither are my favorite, but they're nowhere near the worst.

If anything, "Closer To The Heart" is the worst Rush song. It's so compositionally plain in such an anti-Rush way.

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Sep 26 2011, 11:03 PM)
I love both of them... neither are my favorite, but they're nowhere near the worst.

If anything, "Closer To The Heart" is the worst Rush song. It's so compositionally plain in such an anti-Rush way.

ohmy.gif

Dude, I LOVE Closer to the Heart, and I love how it starts mellow and acoustic and then kicks it into high gear. I always thought that sounded SO COOL!

Then again, I'm not a musician. I'm not looking at it as some common compositional tool or whatever. I just think the song kicks ass lyrically and musically. One of their very best songs IMHO. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 27 2011, 06:24 AM)

ohmy.gif

Dude, I LOVE Closer to the Heart, and I love how it starts mellow and acoustic and then kicks it into high gear. I always thought that sounded SO COOL!

Then again, I'm not a musician. I'm not looking at it as some common compositional tool or whatever. I just think the song kicks ass lyrically and musically. One of their very best songs IMHO. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

goodpost.gif

Closer is easily my favorite song off AFTK and it is a GREAT song! Now, yes, it is not their best, but it is one of my personal favorites. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 27 2011, 12:53 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 22 2011, 11:55 AM)
It reminds me of teenagers who write horrible poetry about life when all they've experienced is what they've seen on television or observed hanging out at Starbucks.

That would be wonderful it it were actually true. Peart had spent a year in England while still in his teens and they all had several years experience of grueling traveling across the country playing in bars and arenas by the time the song was written.

I'm curious if you would have as much of a problem with Dog Years if the words doggie and canine were switched. Though 'canine heaven' wouldn't have sung as well which was most likely the main consideration.

The song doesn't need a thesaurus, it needs a complete subject change. Melodically its a good song, and i listen to it every so often, tuning out the vocals. It does a good job of fitting in with the sound of the rest of the album.

Best i Can is my least favorite, and as a dire rush fan for T4E, Dog Years is number 4 for the best song after

1.) Test For Echo

2.) Carve Away The Stone

3.) Limbo

4.) Dog Years

I love You'd bet your life too

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 27 2011, 06:32 AM)

ohmy.gif

goodpost.gif

Closer is easily my favorite song off AFTK and it is a GREAT song! Now, yes, it is not their best, but it is one of my personal favorites. 1022.gif

it certainly is one of the most BEAT tunes...2nd only with Thomas Sawyer.

closer beathorse.gif to beathorse.gif the beathorse.gif HEAARRTT!!! beathorse.gif beathorse.gif

QUOTE (druid13 @ Sep 28 2011, 02:28 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 27 2011, 06:32 AM)

ohmy.gif

goodpost.gif

it certainly is one of the most BEAT tunes...2nd only with Thomas Sawyer.

closer beathorse.gif to beathorse.gif the beathorse.gif HEAARRTT!!! beathorse.gif beathorse.gif

Tom Sawyer is actually a great song though. Closer To The Heart is the first Rush song I ever learned to play, just because it's so easy. smile.gif