Halloween 2011

Janie

Ok, ok. I know it's only mid-Sept. but I am geeking out so hard right now about Halloween. I love this holiday and I love this time of year.

I bought the boys' Halloween costumes weeks ago, have been stocking up on new decorations and planning out the annual Halloween kids party.

Today, picked up black lights for the house, a life-size skeleton (he's going to sit by the caldron of candy), a scary music/sounds CD and lots of magazines for more ideas.

This is fast becoming my favorite holiday.

And now I'm off to think about a funny costume for 'Bones', our new skeleton. And a new name.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Halloween myself. I remember years and years ago (when i trick or treated) I dressed up as a Q-Tip. I had a lt. blue body suit on, Lt. Blue tights, white cotton baton around my feet with white sneakers, and a big white eskimo hat. Not a scarey outfit but different.

I also decorate. Good post Janie !

QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ Sep 17 2011, 05:47 PM)
I love Halloween myself. I remember years and years ago (when i trick or treated) I dressed up as a Q-Tip. I had a lt. blue body suit on, Lt. Blue tights, white cotton baton around my feet with white sneakers, and a big white eskimo hat. Not a scarey outfit but different.
I also decorate. Good post Janie !

I like that costume idea!

An old friend of my husband's once dressed up as "static cling" and stuck socks and stuff all over her body. I thought that was pretty damn funny and wish I could have seen it.

I'm going to hit a thrift store tomorrow to see what kind of goofy outfit I can find for "Bones."

btw, glad to see someone enjoys Halloween as much as I do!

smile.gif

Halloween IS my favorite holiday! I have so many decorations that I'm always finding new ones when I go to get them out - I'll buy them after Halloween and toss them into the box. Being as our house is set back from the road and shielded by lots of trees, we don't decorate outside very much eh.gif When we lived in the city, we'd really go for it. One time, Hubby played live music!

Of course, now that the girl is all grown up she does her own thing. Costume parties with friends and such. But she loves the holiday, too.

However, it also has a somber aspect for me. It's one of my faith's high holy days: the end of the old year and when we remember those we have lost. So, while I enjoy the fun bits, I also try to acknowledge the sacredness of it as well. After all these years, I've managed to find that balance. ph34r.gif

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Sep 18 2011, 04:32 AM)
Halloween IS my favorite holiday! I have so many decorations that I'm always finding new ones when I go to get them out - I'll buy them after Halloween and toss them into the box. Being as our house is set back from the road and shielded by lots of trees, we don't decorate outside very much  eh.gif  When we lived in the city, we'd really go for it. One time, Hubby played live music!

Of course, now that the girl is all grown up she does her own thing.  Costume parties with friends and such. But she loves the holiday, too.

However, it also has a somber aspect for me. It's one of my faith's high holy days: the end of the old year and when we remember those we have lost. So, while I enjoy the fun bits, I also try to acknowledge the sacredness of it as well. After all these years, I've managed to find that balance.  ph34r.gif

To strike that balance between the secular and the spiritual aspects of the day can be a bit of a challenge! Congrats for that achievement wink.gif

My sweetie and I were Hand-fasted heart.gif on Halloween night, so I find myself dividing the day into pieces...

Early in the day, a look back on the year that's passed

Toward Sunset, we look forward to the possible trick-or-treaters (none at all, last year... sad.gif )

Late evening/into early morning, a renewal of vows and looking toward the year ahead.

QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 17 2011, 09:58 PM)
QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ Sep 17 2011, 05:47 PM)
I love Halloween myself. I remember years and years ago (when i trick or treated)  I dressed up as a Q-Tip.  I had a lt. blue body suit on, Lt. Blue tights,  white cotton baton around my feet with white sneakers, and a big white eskimo hat.  Not a scarey outfit but different.
I also decorate.  Good post Janie !

I like that costume idea!

An old friend of my husband's once dressed up as "static cling" and stuck socks and stuff all over her body. I thought that was pretty damn funny and wish I could have seen it.

I'm going to hit a thrift store tomorrow to see what kind of goofy outfit I can find for "Bones."

btw, glad to see someone enjoys Halloween as much as I do!

smile.gif

Static Cling huh? Thats just as creative as a Q-Tip and cute! wink.gif

I'll put decorations up around the 1st of October. It's a bummer to live in an apartment because I don't get trick-or-treaters; I used to dress up to hand out candy when I was still living with family. My boyfriend doesn't get trick-or-treaters either.

I can't dress up for work, which really sucks. I'll probably wear my "Geddy costume" on the 30th, even though my hair's too short this year:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/betera/DSCF1631.jpg

I was thinking of making a Star Trek Captain's uniform from the second half of TNG, but once my friends got word of it my plans were shot down by criticism and apprehension. It's fun as long as you conform with your costume.

QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 17 2011, 07:58 PM)

I had luck today at the thrift store. I decided "Bones" is going to be a nerd. Since I'm having a Halloween party for small kids, I didn't want "Bones" to look scary. I found high-water brick-colored pants, a blue short sleeved shirt and oversized eyeglasses that I'm going to put tape on. I just need to pick up a bow tie and a pocket protector and was thinking of making some "head gear"-like-braces to put on him.

I also found these cool, odd shaped glasses/vases/beakers that I'm going to make old fashioned labels for that say things like, "Eyes of Newt" and "Hemlock Elixir."

I want to pick up a fog machine for the front porch now.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Sep 18 2011, 06:04 PM)
I'll put decorations up around the 1st of October. It's a bummer to live in an apartment because I don't get trick-or-treaters; I used to dress up to hand out candy when I was still living with family. My boyfriend doesn't get trick-or-treaters either.

I can't dress up for work, which really sucks. I'll probably wear my "Geddy costume" on the 30th, even though my hair's too short this year:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/betera/DSCF1631.jpg

laugh.gif That is great!

I won't be able to celebrate Halloween on Halloween Night (got class), but I might go into Salem, MA that Saturday before. They always got something "witchy" going on. I think they have a Witch's Ball that I would like to attend.

When it comes to Halloween, I stick to the scary stuff - anything to do with witches, ghosts, the unknown, etc...may watch some fave horror films, particularly John Carpenter's Halloween, The Fog, The Changeling, Exorcist, and of course "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown".

May also watch TV episodes with Halloween themes - Brady Bunch episode "Fright Night" from season 4, a few from "Bewitched".

Edited by circumstantial tree

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 18 2011, 08:36 PM)
I won't be able to celebrate Halloween on Halloween Night (got class), but I might go into Salem, MA that Saturday before. They always got something "witchy" going on. I think they have a Witch's Ball that I would like to attend.

When it comes to Halloween, I stick to the scary stuff - anything to do with witches, ghosts, the unknown, etc...may watch some fave horror films, particularly John Carpenter's Halloween, The Fog, The Changeling, Exorcist, and of course "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown".

May also watch TV episodes with Halloween themes - Brady Bunch episode "Fright Night" from season 4, a few from "Bewitched".

I love, love, love scary stories and movies and all those paranormal ghost hunting shows on tv. I like being scared. Always have. BUT, my kids are tiny and my big annual Halloween party is focused around kids and the majority of them are in the 2-6 age range. Siblings are always welcome, and older kids can handle the scary stuff better than the younger kids but still, have to keep things on the silly side. Besides, even though I like a good spooky story, I like to keep Halloween festivities on the goofy side.

After the kids party, I'm letting people know they can stick around for some cheese pizza and watch, "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown."

QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 18 2011, 11:53 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 18 2011, 08:36 PM)

I love, love, love scary stories and movies and all those paranormal ghost hunting shows on tv. I like being scared. Always have. BUT, my kids are tiny and my big annual Halloween party is focused around kids and the majority of them are in the 2-6 age range. Siblings are always welcome, and older kids can handle the scary stuff better than the younger kids but still, have to keep things on the silly side. Besides, even though I like a good spooky story, I like to keep Halloween festivities on the goofy side.

After the kids party, I'm letting people know they can stick around for some cheese pizza and watch, "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown."

They had a "haunted forest" in Greensboro, NC. I have not attended, but it was definitely adults only. A section of woods was set up with all kinds of scary stuff. It also happens late at night.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 19 2011, 10:56 AM)
I was thinking of making a Star Trek Captain's uniform from the second half of TNG, but once my friends got word of it my plans were shot down by criticism and apprehension. It's fun as long as you conform with your costume.

I think the best Trek costume you can have is the standard Kirk black pants and tan shirt....BUT with the shirt torn like it always was when he fought. Go running into the costume party house and drop kick the wall then go into some stupid ass roll. Green alien babes will be all over you after that.

http://www.sherylfranklin.com/images/trek/women/classic/vina013.jpg

Getting ready to mail out the kids Halloween party invites. (I started kicking party invites old skool style lately instead of using eVite - so much easier to personalize things.) Some Halloween decorations have gone up and right now I'm getting ready to create spooky bottle labels for funky glasses I found at a thrift store.

So far, I'm really surprised that kids aren't scared of "Bones". I'm super relieved!! We've had some play dates here and "Bones" has been out and the kids get a kick out him.

HALLOWEEN!!HALLOWEEN!!HALLOWEEN!!

Kids dig skeletons yes.gif I had a head injury when I was six needing an X-ray at the hospital, and when the doctor put up the picture, I excitedly said, "Wow! That's my skull!" I still remember the fascination, and the doctor rolling his eyes as if to say, "lady, your kid is a whack job" tongue.gif

The Halloween decorations are just about all up. Pictures to come soon.

I'm hoping for a big Halloween kids party turnout. I still need to figure out good spooky/silly Halloween kids snacks.

I bought a kids Halloween CD and we have been listening and dancing to, "The Monster Mash" for a few weeks now. I love that song. I listened to it when I was a kid and now I get to enjoy it all over again!

Halloween has always been a favorite holiday but since having kids, I have a whole new level of excitement over it. smile.gif

Janie, I had some ideas for crafts for the little ones (if you do that when they are all together).

When my kid we little we used to make Halloween decorations. We live outside of town now and are set back from the street so decorations don't get seen by anyone.

The decorations and supplies are simple:

Halloween "stained glass" silhouettes:

Multi-colored construction paper

Multi-colored tissue paper

Glue sticks

Cut out silhouettes of pumpkins, cats, ghosts witches etc...of the construction paper. Cut out eye holes in the silhouettes. Glue pieces of colored tissue paper over the eye holes and hang in your windows. Cheap and fun "stained glass" decorations

Ghosts:

Paper towels

White Tissue paper

Twine

Fishing line

Wed up a few paper towels into a small ball, maybe the size of a tennis ball. Take a piece of the white tissue paper (12"x12", square or round) and place the paper towel ball in the center. Wrap the tissue around the ball and tie with twine right at the base. You can hang them with the fishing line so they look like they are floating.

My kids liked doing these up until they were about 10 or so.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Oct 6 2011, 01:37 PM)
Janie, I had some ideas for crafts for the little ones (if you do that when they are all together).

When my kid we little we used to make Halloween decorations. We live outside of town now and are set back from the street so decorations don't get seen by anyone.

The decorations and supplies are simple:

Halloween "stained glass" silhouettes:
Multi-colored construction paper
Multi-colored tissue paper
Glue sticks

Cut out silhouettes of pumpkins, cats, ghosts witches etc...of the construction paper. Cut out eye holes in the silhouettes. Glue pieces of colored tissue paper over the eye holes and hang in your windows. Cheap and fun "stained glass" decorations

Ghosts:
Paper towels
White Tissue paper
Twine
Fishing line

Wed up a few paper towels into a small ball, maybe the size of a tennis ball. Take a piece of the white tissue paper (12"x12", square or round) and place the paper towel ball in the center. Wrap the tissue around the ball and tie with twine right at the base. You can hang them with the fishing line so they look like they are floating.

My kids liked doing these up until they were about 10 or so.

Good ideas! I remember doing similar projects in school. I have fond memories of Halloween all through grade school. We made the best projects - and they were so much fun!