Rock & Roll Comics - RUSH

danielmclark

I've got 17 long boxes of comics; I've been collecting since 1985. When we moved from New Mexico to Houston, my sister stored some of the boxes for me at her house because we were in a small apartment while we house hunted. I got all but one of the boxes back until tonight, when I brought the last one home. I flipped through to see what was in it...

http://qaqn.com/images/outbound/rush-comic.jpg

Rock N Roll Comics #49, July 1992. Published by Revolutionary Comics.

There's a couple on eBay right now if anyone's interested. Frankly, given how rare these things are, I'm surprised that it goes for as little as it does. The live auction is at $16 with 4 days left and there's a Buy it Now for $50.

Anyway. Interiors... I'm okay taking it out of the plastic, but I won't put it on a flatbed scanner so you guys will have to put up with camera pictures wink.gif The art is... well... see for yourself:

[edit] Nevermind, the pics didn't come out right, they were sideways for some reason. WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER had the hook-up with a link to the interiors. Thanks! [/edit]

Edited by danielmclark

There are two versions of this comic. There is also a Canadian printing. The cover is slightly different. The content is the same.

http://991.com/NewGallery/Rush-Rock-N-Roll-Comic-522364.jpg

They are much rarer than the US printing. Harder to find. The US printing is not really that rare. They are more widely available than most people think (gotta know where else to shop). The price has stayed consistant over the years. I've never seen one go for more then $30-50, in mint condition. The current asking prices on Ebay are reasonable (but still should find them cheaper! Its a good time to take advantage of the economic value downturns. Make an offer. It does work!)

Still, a very VERY cool item to have and one that should be in every collectors collection (like mine). I had mine framed in comic frame. Looked cool, but ran out of wall space so it went back into a box.

Thanks for sharing your find!!!! Always cool to hear "find" stories.

QUOTE (Kozmo4Rush @ Sep 6 2011, 04:23 AM)
The US printing is not really that rare. They are more widely available than most people think (gotta know where else to shop).

True. It's rarer than Todd MacFarlane's Spider-Man #1 but not as rare as Stan Lee's Spider-Man #1 wink.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 7 2011, 11:18 AM)
QUOTE (Kozmo4Rush @ Sep 6 2011, 04:23 AM)
The US printing is not really that rare. They are more widely available than  most people think (gotta know where else to shop).

True. It's rarer than Todd MacFarlane's Spider-Man #1 but not as rare as Stan Lee's Spider-Man #1 wink.gif

Probably because there were a million variant covers for that McFarlane Spidey alone. tongue.gif

I bought 2 of those RUSH comics...gave 1 to a Rush junkie friend about 10 years ago and kept the other of course. smile.gif

Really though, the comic info seems to be taken directly from rock/guitar mag interviews throughout the years (up to RTB) and put into story form. Even some of the dialogue seems verbatim at times. But it's still a cool thing to have of course. yes.gif

Not exactly a definitive source, but it's an entertaining read and is a passable summary from the beginning until Roll The Bones.

I've got both the Canadian and US versions of this (The only difference is the cover).

My US version is available to anyone who wants it.

Ten bucks is 10 bucks. (if interested, email ytserush at sprintmail dot com)

QUOTE (ytserush @ Sep 6 2011, 10:07 PM)
Not exactly a definitive source, but it's an entertaining read and is a passable summary from the beginning until Roll The Bones.

I've got both the Canadian and US versions of this (The only difference is the cover).

My US version is available to anyone who wants it.
Ten bucks is 10 bucks. (if interested, email ytserush at sprintmail dot com)

My copy has been sold.

Thanks for the interest.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 5 2011, 07:15 PM)
I've got 17 long boxes of comics; I've been collecting since 1985. When we moved from New Mexico to Houston, my sister stored some of the boxes for me at her house because we were in a small apartment while we house hunted. I got all but one of the boxes back until tonight, when I brought the last one home. I flipped through to see what was in it...

Hey!

I have three of these!! You have the rarer US copy.

Many of these have the UPC code on the front cover!

Yours does not.

I've never seen the Canadian version.

F'n cool!

I have the Canadian version. I did not know it was especially rare....how much would it go for on EBAY?

As hard as it may be for a lot of you to believe (especially you young whippersnappers) there was a time 20 years ago when there was no Internet and finding ANY information on Rush was next to impossible. I bought that comic and the "Visions" book about the same time and that was gold to a 22 year old who was just discovering Rush but knew nothing about them, their background, etc. There was a time when they were truly a cult band, very private, and no one really knew much. I read that comic over and over because I thought it was so cool to learn about the band

I remebember there is one part of the comic book where they are at Signals and there is a picture of Geddy screaming at Terry Brown about Digital Man because Terry kept telling them to move on and the song was a dud, and Geddy was pissed at Brown because he thought differently..and I thought "Oh, so that's why Terry Brown left the band after Signals" LOL

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 13 2011, 12:03 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 12 2011, 09:56 PM)
I think the real gem to have is to have that 1970s Marvel Comics Defenders issue that directly dedicates the comic to "Geddy, Alex, and Neil" and has some quotes from 2112.

I have a copy!!!

1022.gif

As do I.

Although as I recall it's not in tip top shape.

QUOTE (ytserush @ Oct 12 2011, 10:33 PM)
I think the real gem to have is to have that 1970s Marvel Comics Defenders issue that directly dedicates the comic to "Geddy, Alex, and Neil" and has some quotes from 2112.

I have a copy!!!

1022.gif

As do I.

Nice!

Mine is sealed in a plastic bag next to my Rush comics in a box.

It's been years since I have opened it up!!

I don't think it's that rare, yet it is priceless to us Rush fans.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 5 2011, 09:15 PM)

I have it, too.

There are a few factual errors in this "biography" of the band, and the artwork looks rushed, but it's a nice little item to have.

QUOTE (ytserush @ Oct 13 2011, 12:33 AM)

I have a copy!!!

1022.gif

As do I.

I once had a copy of the Defenders comic. It's the only comic I own. I use the term 'once had' because I have no clue where it is and haven't seen it in probably ten years. But, the fact that it is Rush related means that there is no way in hell I would have ever gotten rid of it and assume it is hidden away in a stack of old guitar magazines.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 12 2011, 11:56 PM)

Here is an excellent link in regards to the Defenders Rush edition

2112 Rules !!!!

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Oct 14 2011, 02:33 AM)

2112 Rules !!!!

1022.gif yup, great link! 1022.gif

2.gif in the 70s fit perfectly with The Defenders back then...mystical, daring, and different from other more popular comic titles. Unintentionally, Peart later took on the Sub-Mariner's [who is not in that particular issue] hairstyle...I read somewhere that one of Pratt's nickname's was "Sub-Mariner."

http://www.pickhut.com/images/subdoom21.jpghttp://www.andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/neil_images/neil_body_electric.jpghttp://www.chivian.com/chivian/sub/gifs/SubMarinerPicture.gif

wink.gif

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Oct 13 2011, 12:33 PM)

2112 Rules !!!!

what link? it brought me too the hulk vs light sabre chick....