The very first time you ever saw them live.

alexlifeson-

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first show was Presto in 1990. It was outside at a total craphole of a venue, and it was hot as hell.

And we dropped some acid before the show.

It was a major trip. The rabbits!! ACK!

It was great. Lots of fun. I've seen every tour since, and a few tours multiple times.

The best live band ever, especially when they dropped the opening bands and went to "An Evening With..." format.

My first show was April 17, 2011 at The Palace of Auburn Hills and I was speechless. I have been a Rush fan from age 14 on, with the exception of a few years in the late 80"s. I had to pass on an opportunity to see them on the Moving pictures tour and now I was there and they were playing Moving Pictures in it's entirety, how AWSOME! 2.gif

From the first notes of The Spirit of radio ( my all time favorite) to the last note of Working Man I stood and screamed the lyrics to every song. I LOVED IT!!!! 1022.gif

My friend got sick and couldn't go so I got to share it with my wife, which made the evening all the better and now I'm working on her to become a fan. I will never miss them again!!!!

RUSH...PRESTO...a Sunday night of February 25, 1990 at the U.N.O. Lakefront Arena. Not only was it my first RUSH concert, it was my first-ever concert; and I've been told that "...those drums are so loud...". With that, it was also Mardi Gras weekend here in New Orleans.

Well, I arrive early enough to hear Mr. Big open the show; and I say hear, because I needed to get tuned in. Within seconds, no problem.

About 8:15, the house lights go dim, intro film and I'm bracing myself for the bang into The Big Money. Force Ten opened the show and I was mesmerized; then Free Will and so on...

A while later was the first time I smelled "aroma"; and even later the show came to an end; without Limelight and/or The Spirit of Radio.

My first of what would be ten shows over 20 + years.

Edited by Saint NIck

I gotta be honest...

First gig for me was a huge letdown. It was on the Signals tour, and I'd been such a HUGE fan for about 4 or 5 years, listening to 2112, Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures, daily.

Looking back now, I guess I'd been SO moved by the music, that my expectations of hearing/seeing them live might have been set just a tad high. I found the concert to be quite mediocre, and as such, a big disappointment.

Saw them next on Vapor Trails, and I can only describe it as a religious experience. As there were no words to describe how they moved me at that show, I was literally left speechless. I imagine my expectations might have been a bit lower for that show.

Every show since ( multiple shows on each tour ) has been incredible.

October of 1982. I had just turned 17. General admission seating and standing room only in front of the stage. I went with three friends. We got there early and were crushed against the stage all night, but we didn't care. All of us had our shirts off and were sweating Rush in that mass of body heat. Girls were rubbing up against me a lot and that made it quite memorable. Alex looked at me a couple of times and grinned. I couldn't see Neil's face but I could see his legs and arms. He was like a machine. Geddy was just too much for my teenage mind to take. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, but the memories were burned onto my brain permanently.

I remember walking out of the venue and just coming down slowly off a tremendous high. There was enough pot smoking going on for it to have had some effect, but it was the music and seeing them play it live just a few feet in front of me that made them my favorite band from then to now.

My friend's car broke down and we had to walk about four miles to get home, but all we talked about was the show. The next day at school it seemed like 50 people had that back Signals shirt on. I still have it to this day, but it doesn't quite fit the same anymore.

QUOTE (Mika @ Sep 4 2011, 01:01 AM)
I challenge anyone to say they've had a bad Rush concert! trink39.gif

Well, since you made the challenge... wink.gif

Out of the 35 shows I've seen, there was one that really was a total suck fest. It was the opening show of the RTB tour in Hamilton, Ont. Geddy was forgetting lyrics for a good portion of the show, Alex started Closer to the Heart in the wrong key (He restarted the song), etc. Neil and his solo kinda saved the night, but I remember walking out of Copps Coliseum telling my friends that the show sucked.

Although I didn't go to the next night in Rochester, NY, I heard that was the best show of the tour. When they came to Buffalo during that tour, they certainly made up for Hamilton.

I was astonished that those songs were being played live. By three guys. And sounded just like the album. That night will be forever remembered because the picture on the front of Exit, Stage Left was taken that night at the Aladdin Theater For The Performing Arts. You can see my cousins but the curtain hides me. wtf.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 5 2011, 08:22 AM)
October of 1982. I had just turned 17. General admission seating and standing room only in front of the stage. I went with three friends. We got there early and were crushed against the stage all night, but we didn't care. All of us had our shirts off and were sweating Rush in that mass of body heat. Girls were rubbing up against me a lot and that made it quite memorable. Alex looked at me a couple of times and grinned. I couldn't see Neil's face but I could see his legs and arms. He was like a machine. Geddy was just too much for my teenage mind to take. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, but the memories were burned onto my brain permanently.

I remember walking out of the venue and just coming down slowly off a tremendous high. There was enough pot smoking going on for it to have had some effect, but it was the music and seeing them play it live just a few feet in front of me that made them my favorite band from then to now.

My friend's car broke down and we had to walk about four miles to get home, but all we talked about was the show. The next day at school it seemed like 50 people had that back Signals shirt on. I still have it to this day, but it doesn't quite fit the same anymore.

Looks like your first show was at the good ole Municipal Auditorium.

My first show was 'Roll The Bones' in June of '92 at Starwood with Mr. Big opening. I was so excited to finally see Rush live after being a fan for about a decade at that point. I was 19 then, and too young to go to shows without adult supervision (at least in my parents' opinion) until '90 or so, and Rush skipped Nashville for the 'Presto' tour.

It was everything I had hoped for and more performance wise. I was in the 17th row on Alex's side, and remember seeing him hamming it up with the crowd. 'Vital Signs' and 'The Analog Kid' were highlights, along with 'Xanadu' and 'Bravado'.

It also marked the first time I ever heard Neil's last name pronounced correctly, which was when Geddy introduced him for the solo.

I walked out of there a hardcore fan, and I never again mispronounced Neil's last name.

My first show was the HYF tour.

My first thoughts when they hit the stage was just sheer amazement that I was seeing my heroes IN THE FLESH!!! I didn't matter what they played. Although I love the 70s epics, I enjoyed every note.

Being 15 at the time, this was my first concert. I was not aware of the concept of an encore. When Ged told the crowd, "Thank You, Good Night.", I headed for the exits. I was literally opening the door to leave the venue when 2112 Overture started. I don't think I have ran so fast in my life to get back into show.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Sep 6 2011, 08:48 AM)
My first show was the HYF tour.

My first thoughts when they hit the stage was just sheer amazement that I was seeing my heroes IN THE FLESH!!! I didn't matter what they played. Although I love the 70s epics, I enjoyed every note.

Being 15 at the time, this was my first concert. I was not aware of the concept of an encore. When Ged told the crowd, "Thank You, Good Night.", I headed for the exits. I was literally opening the door to leave the venue when 2112 Overture started. I don't think I have ran so fast in my life to get back into show.

Which venue did you attend? I saw them in Raleigh on January 15, 1988. We had tickets to the Hampton Coliseum show but that was cancelled so we somehow traded our tickets for the Raleigh show.

It is still my favorite Rush concert.

I saw Rush in 1978 Hemispheres Tour at the Springfield Civic Center (Mass.)

We drove over 50 miles through a blizzard to get to the arena (what a nightmare!). But Rush played all Of Hemispheres, Xanadu, 2112 among other things. Awesome concert!!! I made a poster of the three brains. It got pelted with ice cubes though.

QUOTE (Albone2112 @ Sep 6 2011, 01:24 AM)

Looks like your first show was at the good ole Municipal Auditorium.

Yeah that was the place. It was about the only place to see a rock show in Nashville in those days. I find it hard to believe that cement monstrosity is still there and still being used while Starwood is now an empty feild.

My parents took me to the Power Windows tour at the Spectrum in Philly when I was 9. I had already been a fan since I was 6 so I was super excited.

And although of course I loved it, a couple things have stuck with me all these years just apart from the excitement of seeing them. I think this was towards the end of the tour, and Geddy's voice was awful. Totally shot, he sounded nothing like the album which really disappointed me, and my stepdad even commented how terrible he was. Still remember that after the show ended.

It was brutally loud too, so loud that music sounded like a mess. I had seen them a bunch of times at the Spectrum after this all the way up to the Counterparts tour, and it was the same way every time. Im convinced the Spectrum just totally sucked to see concerts in if they band is trying to be so loud. Just did not work there. And my god were my ears a mess when I got out. I remember them feeling so cloudy or something, ringing badly. Not good for a 9 year old.

Although they arent as loud in outside venues, they really did sound a hell of a lot better when I saw them later at PNC. The music didnt have the same punch, but it didnt sound like a muddy mess either. Regardless though I always had a good time.

Edited by trenken

1992 -Sheffield, England on the Roll The Bones Tour with Primus opening.

Me and a friend spent the day(yes from 11 ish in the morning) in various Sheffield drinking establishments. Now, with show time been around 7 - 7.30pm this meant quite a few beverages were consumed. I remember been outside the pub next to Sheffield Arena, when coaches started pulling up and off steps my cousin. I start shouting and waving at him oops.gif- and he quietly slopes off into the arena, barely registering that i'm there.

In the venue the drinking continues trink38.gif and all I remember of the entire show is Closer to the Heart (the only song I actually knew), and my mate borrowing some binoculars off the guy in front, then throwing beer over him when Closer came on and he threw up his arms and cheered. rofl3.gif

Seen them 3 times since then - sober - and they were excellent each time.

QUOTE (metallithrax @ Sep 6 2011, 10:44 AM)
1992 -Sheffield, England on the Roll The Bones Tour with Primus opening.

Me and a friend spent the day(yes from 11 ish in the morning) in various Sheffield drinking establishments. Now, with show time been around 7 - 7.30pm this meant quite a few beverages were consumed. I remember been outside the pub next to Sheffield Arena, when coaches started pulling up and off steps my cousin. I start shouting and waving at him oops.gif- and he quietly slopes off into the arena, barely registering that i'm there.

In the venue the drinking continues trink38.gif and all I remember of the entire show is Closer to the Heart (the only song I actually knew), and my mate borrowing some binoculars off the guy in front, then throwing beer over him when Closer came on and he threw up his arms and cheered. rofl3.gif

Seen them 3 times since then - sober - and they were excellent each time.

That was a cool post, man. rofl3.gif 2.gif

I'd tell your friend, " Yo,dude...

uhh..your'e supposed to put the brew

down on the floor,before you go nuts,

and raise your arms, at seeing RUSH on stage,

and get the whole front row soaked in beer

in the process!!!!!!..." Just a little memo-to-self

would do the trick, I think"!!!!!

...couldnt hurt! J/K trink39.gif trink39.gif

Glad you guy's had a wasted good ol time

at the RUSH gig...Party on!!! RUSH ROCKS!! yes.gif

1022.gif cool10.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif

Thanks for posting! That was a crack-up!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Sep 6 2011, 07:18 PM)
That was a cool post, man. rofl3.gif 2.gif

I'd tell your friend, " Yo,dude...
uhh..your'e supposed to put the brew
down on the floor,before you go nuts,
and raise your arms, at seeing RUSH on stage,
and get the whole front row soaked in beer
in the process!!!!!!..." Just a little memo-to-self
would do the trick, I think"!!!!!
...couldnt hurt! J/K trink39.gif trink39.gif

Glad you guy's had a wasted good ol time
at the RUSH gig...Party on!!! RUSH ROCKS!! yes.gif
1022.gif cool10.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif

Thanks for posting! That was a crack-up!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

A little more info.

About 1hr before the show we realised we wouldn't be able to get ourselves home (about 25 miles away).

So we walked down the road and found an Indian restaurant that also had a couple of rooms above. We booked into a room for the night.

Next morning I wake up with blood all over my pillow - I'd had a nosebleed during the night. I do wonder what they thought had gone on in the room that night.

1997 - Test For Echo tour - Bristow, VA

I was 12 at the time, and I had been a fan since...as long as I could remember - thanks to my dad and his buddies listening to Rush ALL the time whenever they would get together. wink.gif

I remember I wanted to go with my dad to see the Counterparts tour, but he felt I was too young to go to a concert then. But, about a week before the T4E concert, my dad surprised me with tickets!

It was me, my dad, and his 2 friends, Richard and Joe. We had 2112 BLASTING on the way to the venue, I remember 1022.gif

We get to the venue, park, get out of the car, and I remember just thinking to myself as we were walking to the venue, "I...cannot actually believe I am about to see RUSH...LIVE!!" We make our way to our seats, and I remember looking at the stage in complete amazement...the show hadn't even STARTED yet, lol.

Then the show finally starts...the "Thus Spoke Zarathrusta" intro, with the nut & bolt video, and everybody stands and goes NUTS...as did I 653.gif

I remember very vividly, seeing Geddy, Alex, and Neil walk onto the stage and take their positions....I was in COMPLETE disbelief to the fact that...THERE THEY WERE...Geddy f'ing Lee, Alex f'ing Lifeson, and Neil f'ing Peart....IN REAL LIFE!! They rip into Dreamline, and holy sh*t - i must have had a look on my face of somebody who had just won the Mega Millions lotto, haha! Then Limelight...F*CKIN' A!!! 1022.gif 653.gif

My eyes NEVER left the stage, for the entire almost 3-hour performance. 2112 in full was an absolute religious experience seeing live. I do remember not recognizing Half The World and Limbo when they played those songs...i recognized the other TfE songs though.

I remember leaving that concert, knowing that I had just witnessed the greatest thing that anybody could possibly witness. yes.gif

And I never missed a tour since.

Wow!!....Just ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif bekloppt.gif bekloppt.gif bekloppt.gif wub.gif pizza.gif ....Wow!!!

DDAAMMMNNN.... You know what??!? This band has 3 people, three, THREE, just three!

What the hell have I been listening to all these years?!?!?, They have just completely blown away every other band I've seen or heard ever in my life. Damn. If I knew about them when I was in H.S. my life would have different. Seriously.

Only guys like this band? That's a bunch of sh8!!!!

2.gif has been burned into my soul...

When are they playing around here again??? I'm goin'!!!

People who never seen Rush life really missed out and dont even know what they missed... I see alot of bands. but Rush always rules. best concerts ever. I seen the police on that 07 reunion tour.. It blew . but i just seen the snakes tour weeks before that..

November 7th, 1996 at the US Air Arena in Landover MD for the "Evening with Rush" Test for Echo tour.

I was in the prime of my life - 22 years old and driving a little two seater sports car, blasting Rush mix tapes all the time (I can't even think about driving a car like that again, given all the kids I've gotta haul in a minivan now).

I had missed seeing them on the Counterparts tour when some of my friends went on April 26, 1994. I was determined that I WASN'T MISSING THEM AGAIN!

I remember especially flipping out when they played Natural Science, and walking out of that concert feeling like I was floating on air. I saw them again June of '97 at the Nissan Pavilion, which was also great.

I thought nothing would ever top that first concert...until the Time Machine flew into town.