Rush Signs with Roadrunner Records

Jag2112

When I was going through a speed metal phase in the 1980s, I bought a compilation album with different speed metal tunes, including Metallica and Slayer, that was released on Road Runner. I don't think it was a major label though - not the prestige that Mercury or Atlantic has. Not that it matters which label they are on.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 31 2011, 11:15 AM)
When I was going through a speed metal phase in the 1980s, I bought a compilation album with different speed metal tunes, including Metallica and Slayer, that was released on Road Runner. I don't think it was a major label though - not the prestige that Mercury or Atlantic has. Not that it matters which label they are on.

popcorn.gif

Wow this is big news. Hopefully it will yield big results.

Not that Rush need to be on Roadrunner for more exposure, but I love Roadrunner, and I couldn't be happier to see my favourite band sign with my favourite label.

trink39.gif

I like this sentence:

The first release from Rush through this deal will be various live configurations, recorded during their highly successful Time Machine tour that wrapped earlier this summer. Details of the release will be revealed in the coming weeks. 653.gif

I like how this label PROMOTES its bands! I don't think they've really "gotten the love" they deserve over the years!

Is it a metal label? Are we going to see Rush playing more metal music. I would love to see a prog metal album with guys of 60 years old! 653.gif

QUOTE (RUDT @ Aug 31 2011, 02:37 PM)
Is it a metal label? Are we going to see Rush playing more metal music. I would love to see a prog metal album with guys of 60 years old! 653.gif

It's a wide label... and while it has some of my favorite artists, they have some shitty artists as well...

Nickleback and Lynyrd Skynyrd (in their current form, not the original good/pre-plane crash Skynyrd) to name a couple.

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (RUDT @ Aug 31 2011, 11:37 AM)

They're generally a metal label, but that probably won't have anything to do with the style of music Rush releases under them.

Anyways, this bugs me:

Roadrunner Records is pleased to announce a new worldwide partnership with Anthem Records and rock trio Rush. The band will remain on Anthem/Universal Music in Canada only.

Ugh. Here come the international label disputes and "we can't obtain the licensing to sell this album in your country" bullshit.

Other than that, though, pretty exciting news.

Edited by invisibleairwaves

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Aug 31 2011, 06:20 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 31 2011, 03:21 PM)
some shitty artists  Lynyrd Skynyrd (in their current form, not the original good/pre-plane crash Skynyrd

apparently you've never heard "Vicious Cycle"

Maybe I was too harsh....

Not to derail the thread (for too long) but LS today is not LS... the same band in Name only.... their stuff may be good... I just consider it somewhat of an insult that they carry on with the name.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 31 2011, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Aug 31 2011, 02:37 PM)

It's a wide label... and while it has some of my favorite artists, they have some shitty artists as well...

Nickleback and Lynyrd Skynyrd (in their current form, not the original good/pre-plane crash Skynyrd) to name a couple.

Not that it means anything anymore, but once upon a time when labels were more "genre specific" it would be quite a hoot to think that Rush and Nickelback were sharing a label.