Manners

Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 1 2011, 10:51 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jul 31 2011, 12:58 PM)
What grinds my gears also is when you get a jogger coming your way and you move aside to let him pass, and... he just goes right past you without a plance or a word of thanks. I had this earlier, and I just yelled out: "That's alright, love, don't mind me!" He never even reacted.

Also, a short while ago, I gave a friendly wave to one of my neighbors and she responded with a two-fingered salute. I couldn't believe it.

what is a two-fingered salute?

double bird probably

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 31 2011, 09:59 PM)
What grinds my gears also is when you get a jogger coming your way and you move aside to let him pass, and... he just goes right past you without a plance or a word of thanks. I had this earlier, and I just yelled out: "That's alright, love, don't mind me!" He never even reacted.

Also, a short while ago, I gave a friendly wave to one of my neighbors and she responded with a two-fingered salute. I couldn't believe it.

double bird probably

ahh, the double tall man.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 31 2011, 06:59 PM)
QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Jul 31 2011, 07:50 PM)
Why do people have to assume all younger people in this generation have bad manners? It's not right to make generalizations like that.

it's even dumber when young people THEMSELVES complain about how "young people have no manners".

How is that dumb. Explain to me how it is dumb.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 1 2011, 02:01 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 31 2011, 09:59 PM)

double bird probably

ahh, the double tall man.

Think of Winston Churchill's Victory two-finger salute - then reverse it so that the back of the hand is shown. Flipping the bird, I believe, but with 2 fingers.

Some people just lack a sufficient amount of class, huh Babycat??

SAD.... sad.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

You give someone the " time of day" and what do they do...

give you a big ol slap in the face... ohmy.gif angry.gif

Well you're cared about and respected here,babycat. yes.gif biggrin.gif

Edited by go2wrk@95974

I kept saying last winter, I got called more foul terms then than I had in the 37 1/2 years before that, had people grab stuff back from me and scratch me, etc. People just cannot control their emotions AT ALL anymore. And it's bad when you know some of the worst offenders are medical professionals who are "taking care" of patients. Those poor people.

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Aug 1 2011, 04:34 AM)
Some people just lack a sufficient  amount of class, huh Babycat??
SAD.... sad.gif  new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
You give someone the " time of day" and what do they do...
give you a big ol slap in the face... ohmy.gif  angry.gif
Well you're cared about and respected here,babycat. yes.gif  biggrin.gif

Thank you. smile.gif hug2.gif

This is the 2-fingered salute:

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/imagesqtbnANd9GcQy0s3TbVavgLZPJG9V_5b5KWzZ_43pToYAi0cPbkCKQ8BgXh3F.jpg

It's the British equivalent of our bird.

I agree with BOB... too many people are either oblivious to everyone else or treats them like they are merely extras in THEIR movie. This attitude enables the selfishness we see so much now. "People in trouble? Eh, screw 'em, I got mine." We have a society of John Galts eh.gif

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Aug 1 2011, 08:00 AM)
This is the 2-fingered salute:

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/imagesqtbnANd9GcQy0s3TbVavgLZPJG9V_5b5KWzZ_43pToYAi0cPbkCKQ8BgXh3F.jpg

It's the British equivalent of our bird.

I agree with BOB... too many people are either oblivious to everyone else or treats them like they are merely extras in THEIR movie. This attitude enables the selfishness we see so much now. "People in trouble? Eh, screw 'em, I got mine." We have a society of John Galts  eh.gif

That's the one. 'Course, I was far too dignified to do it back to my neighbor (as well as too shocked).

I was told by other people to just ignore her, so that's what I did.

Ok - this one got me twice over the weekend....

Got to a 3 lane intersection (left lane for turning left, the 2 others can go straight. I needed to turn right, and there was 1 other car in the intersection, going straight in the right lane. Man that pisses me off. To me, manner would dictate not sitting in the right lane if you are going straight so others can turn right.

It's always at the same light too, coming from my parents house, and it's quite a long light. End up sitting there for a few minutes - I could have been home in that time.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 31 2011, 10:37 PM)
Why do people have to assume all younger people in this generation have bad manners? It's not right to make generalizations like that.

it's even dumber when young people THEMSELVES complain about how "young people have no manners".

it's hypocritical, and it makes you sound like you're trying to be 50 years older than you actually are.

I've never seen this happen in my area, but I've heard about it in other cities and states...

I once heard about a man who'd been shot and rushed into a store (like a Walgreens or a convenience mart, I think) bleeding and asking for someone to please call 911. Witnesses claim that several people either ignored him or stepped over him, and one actually paused to take a photograph with their phone. At last someone had the sense to call 911, but by then it was too late and the man died from his injuries.

I don't care if someone looks like they might be in a gang, or homeless, or whatever, if they are bleeding on the freaking floor, have some compassion for your fellow human being and do something! I can understand not wanting to get involved in a bad situation but it is way beyond me how you can watch someone just die.

Sometimes we have to make the choice between what is easy and what is right. That's not just manners. That's humanity.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Aug 1 2011, 03:17 PM)
I've never seen this happen in my area, but I've heard about it in other cities and states...
I once heard about a man who'd been shot and rushed into a store (like a Walgreens or a convenience mart, I think) bleeding and asking for someone to please call 911. Witnesses claim that several people either ignored him or stepped over him, and one actually paused to take a photograph with their phone. At last someone had the sense to call 911, but by then it was too late and the man died from his injuries.
I don't care if someone looks like they might be in a gang, or homeless, or whatever, if they are bleeding on the freaking floor, have some compassion for your fellow human being and do something! I can understand not wanting to get involved in a bad situation but it is way beyond me how you can watch someone just die.

Sometimes we have to make the choice between what is easy and what is right. That's not just manners. That's humanity.

I think that's a little more than bad manners!

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 1 2011, 02:23 PM)

it's hypocritical, and it makes you sound like you're trying to be 50 years older than you actually are.

Hypocritical? Really???

So am I not allowed to see some kid cussing out an elderly person and say "Wow! That kid is really rude and has no respect for his elders!" because it would be hypocritical???

You can do better than that.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Aug 1 2011, 03:05 PM)

Hypocritical? Really???

So am I not allowed to see some kid cussing out an elderly person and say "Wow! That kid is really rude and has no respect for his elders!" because it would be hypocritical???

No, you're "allowed" (to borrow the choice of wording) to say that, but what you're not "allowed" to say is "See? [All the] young people today have no manners." Because you can't make a blanket negative generalization about a group of people you belong to without including yourself.

Hypocritical isn't the correct word here, there may be another, but what it boils down to is that you're not the only one of your generation to have manners. You can't claim that you are because it's nonsensical to do so.

I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm just trying to make some sense of where this conversation has - I believe - headed.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Aug 1 2011, 08:21 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Aug 1 2011, 03:05 PM)

Hypocritical? Really???

No, you're "allowed" (to borrow the choice of wording) to say that, but what you're not "allowed" to say is "See? [All the] young people today have no manners." Because you can't make a blanket negative generalization about a group of people you belong to without including yourself.

Hypocritical isn't the correct word here, there may be another, but what it boils down to is that you're not the only one of your generation to have manners. You can't claim that you are because it's nonsensical to do so.

I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm just trying to make some sense of where this conversation has - I believe - headed.

True, except I am the only one in my generation with manners.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Aug 2 2011, 12:06 AM)

Which still begs the question:

What is your generation?

Surely if you and I were in the same generation, your statement could be considered false by some.. But are manners really just a matter of perception? What could be excellent manners to one could be horrid etiquette to another. It varies from culture to culture, age to age, place to place.. Who are we to decide what "good manners" are? We can only judge by the accepted norm of the society around us and try our best to fit in to what's seen as "good manners". My manners on the internet are going to be different than at the dinner table, or speaking to a professor, or traveling abroad to, say, France.

...I love my little etiquette book, though. It's a very nice reference. (:

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 31 2011, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 30 2011, 12:39 AM)
My generation is HORRIBLE about respect and common courtesy. I think we sometimes underestimate the effect that music has on the minds and attitudes of kids. Just look at rap. What is that teaching kids? I

It's cool to disrespect your parents.
It's cool to use women then throw them away like trash.
Drugs are fine and not bad for you.
Alcohol is okay at any age.

Are these the kinds of things you want your kids to be learning, absorbing, and regurgitating?

i think my head just exploded from ignorance overload.

re: phones, it was rude at first when it was just the few show-offs who had texting plans and wanted the whole world to know, but now it's universal enough that it slowly starts to matter less and less. I imagine in another 40-50 years it'll be considered creepy if you don't have your nose buried in your phone all the time (if it's not already considered "something that old people do" by then as young habits make way for even newer technology). customs change along with technology -- remember when a telephone call was considered a rude, impersonal method of communication?

exactly.

on the whole though, people are generally only rude if you expect them to be and treat them as such. There will always be a few total assholes in the world, but that's their own temperament and it's always been that way. general rudeness is a self-feeding cycle -- you say hi to one person who's in a lousy mood and they tell you to f**k off, so your brain conditions itself not to do that any more, and you become less likely to offer a smile and a wave. as a result, other people perceive you as being more self-involved and rude, and they have the same reaction that you had to the last person who didn't wave back to you. and, quite honestly, i think it's rude to pick apart everyone else's behavior and complain about every litte thing that irritates you. maybe you're the one who needs to adjust your outlook.

if anyone thinks this post is rude, well you can kindly shove it up your ass smile.gif (it's the smile that counts, right?)

Fledgehog wins this thread.

And as for all the "damn kids these days" posts: if the worst you can say about our generation is that we don't hold enough doors open, I'd say we're doing pretty f*cking well by the standards set by the older generations.

It's a recurring theme to be honest.

There are those in every generation (whatever a generation really is) who like to trumpet loudly that the succeding one doesn't have the manners they did.

I remember my parents generation saying that, and i dare say it was the same for their parents too.

Personally I haven't noticed any fundamental changes..I think some people get confused by changing trends and cultural mores and try and analyse them according to their own ingrained perceptions learned in youth, and you just can't do that really.

There will always be a few bad apples in evry society and use them as a barometer of cultural change is mistaken.

I think Fledgehog nailed it pretty well.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Aug 2 2011, 04:17 AM)

There are those in every generation (whatever a generation really is) who like to trumpet loudly that the succeding one doesn't have the manners they did.

I remember my parents generation saying that, and i dare say it was the same for their parents too.

Personally I haven't noticed any fundamental changes..I think some people get confused by changing trends and cultural mores and try and analyse them according to their own ingrained perceptions learned in youth, and you just can't do that really.

There will always be a few bad apples in evry society and use them as a barometer of cultural change is mistaken.

Except it would be nice for a change if fledgehog could respond to a post he doesn't agree with and refrain from calling its author "ignorant", or at the very least making that implication. I've noticed this trend in the MOTS forum as well, and fledgehog, it makes me not want to bother with reading the rest of your response. That's a shame, because you're quite intelligent and much of what you post is well worth consideration.

Just a suggestion.

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 2 2011, 10:01 AM)

Except it would be nice for a change if fledgehog could respond to a post he doesn't agree with and refrain from calling its author "ignorant", or at the very least making that implication. I've noticed this trend in the MOTS forum as well, and fledgehog, it makes me not want to bother with reading the rest of your response. That's a shame, because you're quite intelligent and much of what you post is well worth consideration.

Just a suggestion.

goodpost.gif I find myself agreeing with Fledgehog's ideas, but they are hard to read due to that.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Aug 2 2011, 01:12 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Aug 2 2011, 12:06 AM)

Which still begs the question:

What is your generation?

Surely if you and I were in the same generation, your statement could be considered false by some.. But are manners really just a matter of perception? What could be excellent manners to one could be horrid etiquette to another. It varies from culture to culture, age to age, place to place.. Who are we to decide what "good manners" are? We can only judge by the accepted norm of the society around us and try our best to fit in to what's seen as "good manners". My manners on the internet are going to be different than at the dinner table, or speaking to a professor, or traveling abroad to, say, France.

...I love my little etiquette book, though. It's a very nice reference. (:

I make my own manners, which everyone else has to follow. tongue.gif

QUOTE (thing2jordan @ Aug 2 2011, 02:07 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 2 2011, 10:01 AM)

Just a suggestion.

goodpost.gif I find myself agreeing with Fledgehog's ideas, but they are hard to read due to that.

yes, I understand and agree with that point too actually.

I think the irony here is that the edge of dismissal and intolerance is actually a product of that very youth he was defending quite eloquently laugh.gif