• The Nice
    • The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    • Pink Floyd(with Syd)
    • Pink Floyd (with Dave and Rick)
    • Frank Zappa (any band)
    • Elvis Presley
    • Buddy Holly
    • Rick Nelson

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Jul 23 2011, 12:32 AM)
'Live at the Isle of Wight'.

man, I wouldve loved to have been a teen in the late 60's and early 70's and seen numerous bands at that venue.

Edited by Bastille Dave

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're not on the list, but I'd love to see Thin Lizzy with Phil Lynott, with either the Gorham/Robbo lineup, or the Gorham/Moore lineup.

Also, Uriah Heep, with David Byron and Gary Thain, on either the Demons and Wizards, or Magician's Birthday tour.

Out of the list, I went with Zappa...the '73 lineup, with Napoleon Murphy Brock, George Duke and Ruth Underwood.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Jul 23 2011, 01:32 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 22 2011, 04:36 PM)

I find The Who to be highly overrated.

come talk to me when you have listened to 'Live at Leeds' or 'Live at the Isle of Wight'.

What makes you think I haven't?

The Who in 1971 or Zep in 1975

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 23 2011, 04:57 PM)
Neil acts like they are as famous as The Beatles and like he has to hide from everyone.

Seriously? Neil Peart acts like Rush is as famous as The Beatles?

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 23 2011, 05:23 PM)
Neil acts like they are as famous as The Beatles and like he has to hide from everyone.

it's all those screaming teenage girls that follow them everywhere.

Zeppelin, no contest.

Yes, Pagey was sloppy live, but I think that was due to his issues with various substances, not that he's a bad live player. Since were pretending that they are all alive, then I take it to mean that it's present day. He's now clean and has been for a lot of years, so he won't be sloppy at my live pretend show.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 23 2011, 04:23 PM)

Yeah, he does. Otherwise, he would not carry out this whole charade with hiding from fans when he leaves gigs, refusing to have his picture taken, refusing to go to meet and greets, refusing to sign autographs and having an armed security goon follow him all over.

He once said that the whole John Lennon thing freaked him out. Guess he thinks he is as famous and well-known as John Lennon.

Edited by Earthshine

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 24 2011, 04:34 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 23 2011, 04:23 PM)

Yeah, he does. Otherwise, he would not carry out this whole charade with hiding from fans when he leaves gigs, refusing to have his picture taken, refusing to go to meet and greets, refusing to sign autographs and having an armed security goon follow him all over.

He once said that the whole John Lennon thing freaked him out. Guess he thinks he is as famous and well-known as John Lennon.

Wow. You're "logic" really is flawed. This is one of the most inaccurate and biased posts I've ever read on this board. Cynicism and contempt wrapped up in assumption and wishful thinking. The anti-Neil cult personified.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 23 2011, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Jul 23 2011, 01:32 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 22 2011, 04:36 PM)

I find The Who to be highly overrated.

come talk to me when you have listened to 'Live at Leeds' or 'Live at the Isle of Wight'.

What makes you think I haven't?

The fact that you think they are overrated. But If you still think they are overrated after hearing those albums then your mind isn't going to change. But you might want to reconsider what a rock n' roll concert is.

Also to +1 to those who Brought up Thin Lizzy and Queen

Holy epic thread Batman! This was a toughie.

Welp, I would have to say....

The Who, if they were playing Tommy. (the one I actually went with)

Zappa, if it was with the Zappa in New York lineup...or just Bozzio playing drums.

Zeppelin would be epic.

Beatles would be epic. Especially if they did Sgt. Peppers.

Pink Floyd with or without Syd, I'm not picky.

TOO MANY AWESOME CHOICES! wacko.gif

To help you vote here are a few videos from the band. I know there are many eras, but here just some examples. I tried to stay from their most popular tunes that most people know.

The Beatles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6TIEkB4_F8

Led Zeppelin:

The Who:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5roebfnD-bc

The Nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQpAzLg-38I

The Jimi Hendrix Experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGL6oUwsAUA

Pink Floyd (with Syd):

Pink Floyd (with Dave and Rick):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyL8L0sEgro

Frank Zappa (any band):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_Nmkjmt_k

Elvis Presley:

Buddy Holly:

Rick Nelson:

Edited by Earthshine

QUOTE (MCM @ Jul 23 2011, 06:46 PM)
Yes, Pagey was sloppy live, but I think that was due to his issues with various substances, not that he's a bad live player.............

This is true. I saw Page & Plant in '98 at The Hollywood Bowl after Pagey got clean and he tore the place apart. I was in awe of how good he was cuz when I saw Zep in '77 he was very sloppy in the first half of the show. He did get better as the 2nd half went along (Seattle Kingdome July 17, 1977.....if you have seen any of the large number of video boots of this concert you'd know what I mean.....best one out there btw is "Seattle Supersonic" and can be had as a torrent at TTD for sure and likely Dime as well). Zep in the early 70s before he became a junkie and Bonzo's drinking got out of control was a far better Zep based on the pretty large amount of footage that's out there. Sadly I did not see them during that period.

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jul 25 2011, 10:08 AM)
Zep in the early 70s before he became a junkie and Bonzo's drinking got out of control was a far better Zep based on the pretty large amount of footage that's out there. Sadly I did not see them during that period.

Well, that was another thing we could have discussed: Which period of these bands Like Zeppelin, The Who were different in 1970 than they were in 1976. Moon was drinking way too much and was getting fat and Townshend was on who knows what. Drinking a lot, no doubt.

With Zeppelin it was kind of the same. In 69-72, Pagey and Bonzo were not into smack as much as they would become later. In fact, I am not sure Bonzo was using smack until about '77. But he never got clean it seems, nor did Pagey. When they did In Through The Outdoor, they were so out of it that they pretty much let Jonsey run the show. This little clip shows a very messed up Bonzo playing amazingly well despite probably being drunk out of his mind and hyped up on smack.

Edited by Earthshine