Foxtrot vs Selling England by the Pound

Akron162

30 members have voted

1. 1. Foxtrot vs Selling England by the Pound

• Foxtrot
    • Selling England by the Pound

Both albums are sooo great but overall I'll go with 'SEBTP'.

'Dancing With The Moonlit Knight' 'Firth Of Fifth' 'The Battle Of Epping Forest' man those songs are brilliant.

F#*k I forgot about: 'Watcher Of The Skies' 'Get'em Out By Friday' 'Supper's Ready' on 'Foxtrot'.

This is so grueling!!!

Selling England by the Pound is my favorite of the two, although Foxtrot is also very good.

Selling England seems to have a cleaner sound production wise. It's like they modernized the keyboards a bit.

Don't think I can choose. Every single moment to me o every song starting from The Musical Box to It. is sheer perfection.

SEBTP does have The Cinema Show which I find myself listening the most. But most of the time I run through those four albums as if they were one long song unsure.gif

But just for fun I'll vote foxtrot. On it's own it is vey trippy , although of course the entire Genesis trip is much better.

Watcher of the skies immediately takes you to another world with the opening melloton, and you begin to arrive once the drums and bass fade in, and the second Peter sings you are zoned out. The song continues to soar and leads perfectly into the underrated and beautiful Time Table. I don't know what the hell Banks does but every note he plays is surreal beauty. Then Get 'em out by Friday is a unique story, but definitely shocking and the music makes it surreal. That instrumental section is brilliant. Can-Utility is an extremely underrated song, and the entire middle part is godly. But of course the whole thing is surreal. Then the lovely and otherworldly horizons...and I don't need to explain the rest.

What's funny is I can say the same thing about Nursery Cryme, SEbtP, and of course the Lamb, and to some extent Trespass. The two albums after The Lamb are great albums but are missing the surrealism. Only a couple of songs retain that quality. One for the Vine is one of my all time favorite songs, but I don't like the instrumentation much...I find that part at 2:06 to be extremely beautiful, but it's done with cheesy synth and it bothers me tongue.gif so I listen to the piano version or string version, which is a million times better.

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

Selling England is kinda like Moving Pictures, I guess. Each song is a powerhouse and offers a lot of variety. Of course, while songs like IKWIL and More Fool Me, not every song appeals to prog fans, but those songs are great songs and fit to make the album more concise and overall give the album a mature feel. Foxtrot would be more like Hemispheres, except the epic is on the B-side. An epic and many good varied songs on the other side, but they're lacking the variety present on MP.

Foxtrot has "Supper's Ready" and "Watcher of the Skies" and I find the rest, while good, does not live up to those 2 main tracks...

SEBTP is stellar from Start to Finish... one of the best Prog albums of all time.

I love both, but I know that I listen to Pound more then Foxtrot.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 19 2011, 05:35 PM)
Foxtrot has "Supper's Ready" and "Watcher of the Skies" and I find the rest, while good, does not live up to those 2 main tracks...

SEBTP is stellar from Start to Finish... one of the best Prog albums of all time.

Have you ever heard the songs in between? They kick the ass of Watcher in the Skies. Listen to Can-Utility, and tell me it isn't a marvelous epic in 6 minutes. Listen to the story of Get 'em out by Friday and check out the amazing music and the myriad changes to accompany the story. Time Table is melancholy of the most beautiful kind. And Horizons is not a song but a bridge, a lovely one at that.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jul 19 2011, 10:23 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 19 2011, 05:35 PM)
Foxtrot has "Supper's Ready" and "Watcher of the Skies"  and I find the rest, while good, does not live up to those 2 main tracks...

Have you ever heard the songs in between? They kick the ass of Watcher in the Skies. Listen to Can-Utility, and tell me it isn't a marvelous epic in 6 minutes. Listen to the story of Get 'em out by Friday and check out the amazing music and the myriad changes to accompany the story. Time Table is melancholy of the most beautiful kind. And Horizons is not a song but a bridge, a lovely one at that.

I said I find "WotS" as an amazing song... but that and Supper's Ready are the only songs that are "Stellar" on that album...

I like the rest of the album, like I said, but I feel the other songs on Foxtrot just don't hold the album together like those other 2 tracks, and it feels like a bit of a slog during the middle of the album..

By comparison SEBTP is great all the way through and holds it's momentum on every track.

Selling england