Roll The Bones

Nate2112

Damn' this album is REALLY starting to grow on me.

It's so good and i'm sure that if I get my class to listen to it, they would like it.

1. The Big Wheel

2. You'd Bet Your Life

3. Dreamline

4. Heresy

5. Ghost Of A Chance

6. Roll The Bones

7. Bravado

8. Where's My Thing

9. Neurotica

10. Face Up

I don't understand the hate for the album. Yeah, so what if it has some pop leanings. It's tight music that has some beautiful lyrics, and songwriting. Bravado, The Big Wheel, Roll the Bones, and most of all, Ghost Of A Chance are absolute standouts.

Ghost of a Chance probably has some of the most beautiful lyrics and music from Rush, which touches you, even though I personally don't favor the context of the lyrics, especially the chorus (although that is my favorite section of the song.) Alex's solo really grabs you, and definitely fits with the song, as most of his solos do. Geddy sings differently on this song than most of Rush's other songs, and I like it. It also fits with the song. Oddly, I love the way Neil writes the lyrics, however, it don't agree with the context. It's one of those weird moments. Excellent writing all around, whether it may be musically or lyrically.

Roll the Bones probably isn't top 5, but the standouts I listed above triumph over many bands, particularly those of modern music today. I'm also not ashamed of this album. Keep rollin' those bones!

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Jul 10 2011, 10:12 PM)
I don't understand the hate for the album. Yeah, so what if it has some pop leanings. It's tight music that has some beautiful lyrics, and songwriting. Bravado, The Big Wheel, Roll the Bones, and most of all, Ghost Of A Chance are absolute standouts.

Ghost of a Chance probably has some of the most beautiful lyrics and music from Rush, which touches you, even though I personally don't favor the context of the lyrics, especially the chorus (although that is my favorite section of the song.) Alex's solo really grabs you, and definitely fits with the song, as most of his solos do. Geddy sings differently on this song than most of Rush's other songs, and I like it. It also fits with the song. Oddly, I love the way Neil writes the lyrics, however, it don't agree with the context. It's one of those weird moments. Excellent writing all around, whether it may be musically or lyrically.

Roll the Bones probably isn't top 5, but the standouts I listed above triumph over many bands, particularly those of modern music today. I'm also not ashamed of this album. Keep rollin' those bones!

Nailed it.

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Jul 10 2011, 10:12 PM)

goodpost.gif

It's definitely an album that holds a special place for me, cause it was the first album I listened to, and it was my introduction to Rush. Not a top 5, but I still have high regards for the album in retrospective. For a long time I thought I was the only who loved The Big Wheel but I guess that's not the case anymore!

Edited by PolarizeMe

To me, it was an album of both ingenuity and... not.

Bravado instantly, instantly sticks out to me whenever I think of this album. Also Heresy (don't laugh! I'm serious!) and Dreamline. It has some real gems and some real.. well, rhinestones. They're kind of nice but they're just not up to par with the others.

I thought it was a great transition album into Counterparts. (:

Absolutely LOVE this album! There isn't one song on it that I don't like. Bravado is one of their very best. Ghost Of A Chance is wonderful; I love the bluesy riffs Alex plays. Heresy really gets me because I was born at the end of the Baby Boom and the third verse sums the whole thing up for me. "All the crap we had to take" indeed. The title song is fun and poignant at the same time and I dig the beat poetry section. The Big Wheel has one of Neil's cleverest lyric - "I was lined up for glory but the tickets sold out in advance..."

As I say, there isn't one song I don't like on this highly under-rated album.

Funny how this thread was started.

I started that gold disc Audio Fidelity Thread a while ago and there are a lot of TRF'rs who absolutely HATE this record.

Glad you are seeing the "Available Light" deep within this record.

Whoops! That's a "Presto" song!

I love all the polished Rush shit.

The only Rush album in their canon that I cannot fully love is "Test For Echo."

Nobody's Heroes are perfect.

It's "Bravado" and "Ghost Of A Chance" for me.

1022.gif

Remember, even Alex had to stop what he was doing in the recording studio to watch Neil lay down that drum track to "Bravado."

Some think it's a fukking Journey pop hit. I think it's a drumming wet dream.

common001.gif

I love the whole thing. The outstanding songs are named above so I had to add that the cover artwork is one of the best from Hugh Syme. (see the photo of the elephant inside the booklet - lol)

Looking forward to that 'audiophile version'.

Craptastick

I was just listening to RTB this weekend. The real problem is that RTB is EXTREMELY inconsistent. It's got a couple very good tracks and some mediocre tracks, but also three of Rush's wost songs.

Dreamline: A+

Bravado: A+

Roll The Bones: B+

Face Up: F-

Where's My Thing?: B+

The Big Wheel: B+

Heresy: B+

Ghost Of A Chance: A

Neurotica: F-

You Bet Your Life: F-

I think the "Choir of Rupert" backing vocals in Face Up and especially YBYL ("the odds get even" 062802puke_prv.gif ) may be the poorest artistic choices that Rush has ever made on their studio albums. The chorus of Neurotica is also pretty bad: "It's just Erotica... Hypnotica... Whoah-oh-oh-oh-oh." facepalm.gif If you played these tracks for your class, they would probably be wtf.gif

But without the F- tracks, RTB is a pretty decent album. Dreamline and Bravado are superb, and the production quality is much improved over Presto.

Edited by PariahDog

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jul 11 2011, 12:46 PM)
I was just listening to RTB this weekend. The real problem is that RTB is EXTREMELY inconsistent. It's got a couple very good tracks and some mediocre tracks, but also three of Rush's wost songs.

Dreamline: A+
Bravado: A+
Roll The Bones: B+
Face Up: F-
Where's My Thing?: B+
The Big Wheel: B+
Heresy: B+
Ghost Of A Chance: A
Neurotica: F-
You Bet Your Life: F-

I think the "Choir of Rupert" backing vocals in Face Up and especially YBYL ("the odds get even" 062802puke_prv.gif ) may be the poorest artistic choices that Rush has ever made on their studio albums. The chorus of Neurotica is also pretty bad: "It's just Erotica... Hypnotica... Whoah-oh-oh-oh-oh." facepalm.gif If you played these tracks for your class, they would probably be wtf.gif

But without the F- tracks, RTB is a pretty decent album. Dreamline and Bravado are superb, and the production quality is much improved over Presto.

Yeah, they really dropped a couple f-bombs on us.

Of the Rupert produced albums, I prefer Presto, but I like Roll the Bones for the most part. What I don't like is the rap in RTB and I definitely do not like the verbal diarrhea on You Bet Your Life. I also never cared for the album cover. Brown and grey don't always mix as colors.

My favorite song is "Heresy" and I love the "Big Wheel".