Grace Under Pressure

Nate2112

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 14 2011, 12:22 PM)
I agree but was this really worthy of a thread?

No

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jun 15 2011, 06:42 AM)
Rush had a hard time finding a producer.  One or two people backed out and they did a lot of work before Henderson came on board.

Ah. That would explain what Geddy said about the album being too "stressful" for him to be able to appreciate it.

Edited by StellarJetman

Count me as another huge GUP fan. This was also my first ever Rush show back in 1984 and the album has always had a special place in my heart.

Red Lenses is definitely one of my favs!

How great was it to hear Between the Wheels for a couple tours after all these years? Best guitar solo on the album.

After Image another great song, along with Kid Gloves.

I agree with those who talk about the album's uniqueness. Maybe it's Neil's integration of electric drums (which I think gave Rush a fresh new sound), but there's something about this record that is like nothing else they've ever done.

QUOTE (desertfan @ Jun 16 2011, 12:00 AM)
I agree with those who talk about the album's uniqueness. Maybe it's Neil's integration of electric drums (which I think gave Rush a fresh new sound), but there's something about this record that is like nothing else they've ever done.

You could say that about most of their albums, though.

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jun 14 2011, 10:11 AM)
Love it.

'nuff said

We have typed about this album on here for years.

I stated it on here a few years ago that "Snakes & Arrows" was the best album Rush ever did since "GUP." I will still stand by that remark despite the hater point of view that I feel could be coming my way.

"GUP" rules.

Best Rush album from the "synth" era.

Signed,

"Between The Wheels" 1022.gif

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jun 14 2011, 06:46 PM)
I made a thread for it because

1.) I thought that it was the worst of the 80s and the synth era
2.) I just didnt like it

Now it is amazing. My favorite song off it is Red Lenses and that is at #3 at my Official Rush Awesome Scale.  wub.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/reedlover/CP%20Pics/139f9f2a.gif

Just took a look at this thread yesterday. As it happens I'd planned to listen to GUP today whilst doing my housework. Before I wasn't so keen on this album but as of today I can say I officially like it!

The last vinyl album from the back catalog that I replaced on CD. There was no hurry with this one.

There's nothing "wrong" with it really; the songs are all okay... but only okay. For me, it lacks that one awesome song that makes me WANT to listen to it.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 17 2011, 04:01 PM)
The last vinyl album from the back catalog that I replaced on CD. There was no hurry with this one.

There's nothing "wrong" with it really; the songs are all okay... but only okay. For me, it lacks that one awesome song that makes me WANT to listen to it.

That's not the case for me. I love Distant Early Warning and The Enemy Within (I consider them both top 25 songs) and Red Sector A has some of Neil's best and most meaningful lyrics in my opinion. I like this album much more than anything they've released since (though I'm holding out hope for Clockwork Angels).

At first, I remembered liking the usual tracks--"Distant Early Warning," "Red Sector A," the stuff I'd heard on the live video and all that, but there was a time when I kept revisiting the album (generally when the radio, bless them, had burnt me out with their rotation of the same five Rush songs but I needed some Rush in my diet) I always seemed to pick out another track I liked with every listen (I think it started with "The Enemy Within" and "Afterimage" but I just gradually ended up liking the album so much I'd play it straight through, and every track just clicked with me.

I continue to love Alex's guitar solo in "Kid Gloves" where it takes off and just keeps soaring--it's such a good track.

I also like "red lenses," probably more because even when Rush errs too far on the side of the goofy, they're still very entertaining.

It's a very cold and bleak sort of album, true, but despite being awash in digital beats and snyths, it doesn't feel as dated as similar stuff from around that time. To me, anyways.

I like GUP. My only gripe is that, sonically, it sounds pretty flat and stale compared to how bright and alive Power Windows was one year later. Just goes to show what a good producer can do for you. Geddy's singing was better sounding too.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 17 2011, 09:48 PM)
I like GUP. My only gripe is that, sonically, it sounds pretty flat and stale compared to how bright and alive Power Windows was one year later. Just goes to show what a good producer can do for you. Geddy's singing was better sounding too.

I think the production fits the music/subject matter. It has a cold feeling, like most of the songs.

I love GUP. Not one of my favorite albums, but it is very solid. Red Lenses is probably my favorite song. The drums on that track are spectacular. I love the bridge when the guitar cuts and it's just Geddy and Neil. 'And the mercury is rising...' 1022.gif The bass is that song is generally awesome as well. Bewtween the Wheels is also a great song. I espcially love the lyrics of BTW as well as the way Geddy sings the final chorus. I would also agree that Red Sector A has some of Neil's most meaningful lyrics. The synth/guitar riffs in that song are awesome as well. The Body Electric is really the only song that never clicked with me on this album.

My song list (fav to least fav)

Red Lenses

Between the Wheels

The Enemy Within

Red Sector A

Afterimage

Kid Gloves

Distant Early Warning

The Body Electric.

Like a bunch of the songs on this album, and Neil's drum work on Red Lenses is fantastic even though I don't like that song at all.

But in the synth era I would put Power Windows above it. Even though it has a lot of that 80s overly melodic grand chorus thing going on in almost every song, it's my favorite bass playing album by Geddy, along with HYF.

GUP is a little dull in the bass department. Just judging more from a bass player perspective. As an album in general the songs are strong.

I think this album is one of their best, because I don't think the synthesizers were very overpowering of Alex's guitar--in fact, I don't think I have heard a happier sounding song than "Kid Gloves." However, I am a fan of their synth era--their later albums were harder for me to get into because they seem to be more groove oriented instead of hard-rocking. But I have grown to appreciate all of their recordings. The best thing about Rush is that they have a song for any mood that I am in--because they are a band that manages to maintain their signature sound on each record while throwing in some significant experiments, something that I think is difficult for most bands to do. I am also brand new to the board, so I just wanted to put all of that out there. smile.gif

QUOTE (waddler25 @ Jun 18 2011, 12:20 AM)
I think this album is one of their best, because I don't think the synthesizers were very overpowering of Alex's guitar--in fact, I don't think I have heard a happier sounding song than "Kid Gloves." However, I am a fan of their synth era--their later albums were harder for me to get into because they seem to be more groove oriented instead of hard-rocking. But I have grown to appreciate all of their recordings. The best thing about Rush is that they have a song for any mood that I am in--because they are a band that manages to maintain their signature sound on each record while throwing in some significant experiments, something that I think is difficult for most bands to do. I am also brand new to the board, so I just wanted to put all of that out there. smile.gif

goodpost.gif Wow, I wish my first post was as spectacular. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (waddler25 @ Jun 17 2011, 10:20 PM)
I think this album is one of their best, because I don't think the synthesizers were very overpowering of Alex's guitar--in fact, I don't think I have heard a happier sounding song than "Kid Gloves."

Fly by Night, "Making Memories".

Makes "Kid Gloves" look like "Red Sector A".