Alen Shore

Nate2112

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jun 10 2011, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 10 2011, 09:28 AM)
QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jun 10 2011, 09:24 AM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 10 2011, 09:00 AM)
Horrible lyrics, mainly.

no.gif

Brilliant Lyrics

sorry, kid

when you've got "Anyone who thinks Test For Echo is not life changing has never heard resist." as your sig, you can hardly be expected to be the ambassador of good taste when it comes to lyrics wink.gif

(PS - despite some of the cheesy lyrics, I love Alien Shore to death)

http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/albert-einstein-trolls.jpg

^ I don't get it

why call yourself out in your own post? confused13.gif

[really]

Edited by ghostworks

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 11 2011, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jun 10 2011, 02:24 PM)
What is the song about anyway. I have questions for that, C2TC, Stick It Out, Cold Fire, and Animate

I find it absolutely hilarious that you say this song has brilliant lyrics, yet you have no idea what the song is even about.

http://th37.photobucket.com/albums/e80/cajeguitarist/th_Emeril_Bam.jpg

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jun 10 2011, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (Scars @ Jun 10 2011, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 10 2011, 01:03 PM)
the tune is rockin but I cant help but get douche chills when Geddy sings "for you and me, sex is not a competition".

plus isn't "you and me" bad grammar?

Well in all fairness, he does use "you and I" in the verses. I suppose the "you and me" represents the casual talk between a couple--for the most part people don't follow grammatical rules like that in everyday conversation, so maybe the lyrics represent that?

Funnily enough, I think the "sex is not a competition" line is one of the finer lines in the song. At first I took it to mean "intercourse" and thought it was Neil trying to be dirty. Then I realized it meant "gender" and the line took on a whole new meaning...

...the "we'd elect each other president" line is pretty bad though, I can't salvage a deeper meaning out of that tongue.gif

The use of the preposition makes "for you and me" correct. Just take the "you and" out of the prepositional phrase..."for you" is right, "for I" is wrong (at least if "for" is used as a preposition.

The personal pronoun I is always the subject of a sentence. Me is always an object in a sentence.

You and I, we are strangers by one chromosome.

"You and I" and "We" = The subject of the sentence. "You and I" is grammatically equal to "We".

I, You, He, She, They, and We are always subjects of a sentence.

For you and me, sex is not a competition.

"You and me" is the indirect object of the sentence. "Sex" is the subject of the sentence.

Me, you, us, and them are always objects (direct or indirect).

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jun 11 2011, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jun 10 2011, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (Scars @ Jun 10 2011, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 10 2011, 01:03 PM)
the tune is rockin but I cant help but get douche chills when Geddy sings "for you and me, sex is not a competition".

plus isn't "you and me" bad grammar?

Well in all fairness, he does use "you and I" in the verses. I suppose the "you and me" represents the casual talk between a couple--for the most part people don't follow grammatical rules like that in everyday conversation, so maybe the lyrics represent that?

Funnily enough, I think the "sex is not a competition" line is one of the finer lines in the song. At first I took it to mean "intercourse" and thought it was Neil trying to be dirty. Then I realized it meant "gender" and the line took on a whole new meaning...

...the "we'd elect each other president" line is pretty bad though, I can't salvage a deeper meaning out of that tongue.gif

The use of the preposition makes "for you and me" correct. Just take the "you and" out of the prepositional phrase..."for you" is right, "for I" is wrong (at least if "for" is used as a preposition.

The personal pronoun I is always the subject of a sentence. Me is always an object in a sentence.

You and I, we are strangers by one chromosome.

"You and I" and "We" = The subject of the sentence. "You and I" is grammatically equal to "We".

I, You, He, She, They, and We are always subjects of a sentence.

For you and me, sex is not a competition.

"You and me" is the indirect object of the sentence. "Sex" is the subject of the sentence.

Me, you, us, and them are always objects (direct or indirect).

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Another good lesson from our resident Grammar Nazi. tongue.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 11 2011, 01:28 PM)
Horrible lyrics, mainly.

no.gif

Brilliant Lyrics

sorry, kid

when you've got "Anyone who thinks Test For Echo is not life changing has never heard resist." as your sig, you can hardly be expected to be the ambassador of good taste when it comes to lyrics wink.gif

^ I don't get it

[really]

Ladies and Gentleman!

I give you.......cosy in disguise!!

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jun 11 2011, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 11 2011, 01:28 PM)
Horrible lyrics, mainly.

no.gif

Brilliant Lyrics

sorry, kid

^ I don't get it

[really]

Ladies and Gentleman!

I give you.......cosy in disguise!!

no.gif Ghostworks is WAY cooler than Cosy.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 10 2011, 10:33 AM)
Oh, and why is "Anyone who thinks Test For Echo is not life changing has never heard resist." bad? Resist is an amazing song. yes.gif

"I can learn to resist... anything but temptation..."

Repeat until bridge, then repeat again. beathorse.gif

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jun 10 2011, 01:24 PM)
What is the song about anyway. I have questions for that, C2TC, Stick It Out, Cold Fire, and Animate

"Alien Shore" is about racial and sexual discrimination. I don't know how you missed that with lines like "race is not a definition" and "we'd elect each other president" (as awful as that line is, it does make sense).

"Cut to the Chase" is about moving forward and not stagnating. "Racing the oblivious cars" and alll that.

"Stick It Out". I hate this song, so I never listen to it. Sorry!

...In all seriousness, though, how can you hear a line like "don't swallow the lie" and not understand what the lyrics are about?

"Cold Fire". It's about a couple driven apart by their inability to make allowances for each other. "Sure, I'll be your partner, but don't make too many demands", etc.

"Animate". As far as I can tell, a few lists of vaguely cool-sounding words and phrases set to music. According to Neil, it has something to do with masculinity and femininity, but even he's pretty vague on the whole thing.

I get the feeling that you never really bothered to listen to these lyrics (or even, you know, read them). They're all pretty obvious. What I don't get is why you didn't ask about "Between Sun and Moon" - that's the one that doesn't make any sense.

Edited by StellarJetman

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jun 11 2011, 11:45 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 10 2011, 10:33 AM)
Oh, and why is "Anyone who thinks Test For Echo is not life changing has never heard resist." bad? Resist is an amazing song. yes.gif

"I can learn to resist... anything but temptation..."

Repeat until bridge, then repeat again. beathorse.gif

ohmy.gif But that's what make the lyrics so great IMO - the subtle changes and contradictions. 'I can learn to resist anything but temptation...' Temptation is the one thing that we try to resist in order to make good decisions. 'I can learn to compromise anything but my desires...' Our desires our the things that we must compromise in order to be successful in life. The song is saying how hard it is to do the right thing. And the bridge is simply fantastic. That is the best part.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 11 2011, 09:31 AM)
QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jun 10 2011, 02:24 PM)

I find it absolutely hilarious that you say this song has brilliant lyrics, yet you have no idea what the song is even about. THAT is funny stuff!

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/7679/unledjiv.png

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 11 2011, 06:23 PM)
Another good lesson from our resident Grammar Nazi. tongue.gif

SEIG HEIL!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

What can I say? I'm a recovering language teacher..... confused13.gif confused13.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jun 11 2011, 10:45 PM)

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jun 10 2011, 01:24 PM)

"Alien Shore" is about racial and sexual discrimination. I don't know how you missed that with lines like "race is not a definition" and "we'd elect each other president" (as awful as that line is, it does make sense).

Not quite. What it's saying is let's reject the stereotypes that are so often attached to race, gender, class or whatever categories that divide groups of people and instead focus on the similarities and build bridges that will reach out and bring people together.

Anyway, enough with the overemphasizing of the lyrics yet again. beathorse.gif

The song has a killer groove and Neil totally kicks ass on this track. icon_alienjig.gif 1022.gif icon_alienjig.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jun 11 2011, 10:36 PM)
Not quite. What it's saying is let's reject the stereotypes that are so often attached to race, gender, class or whatever categories that divide groups of people and instead focus on the similarities and build bridges that will reach out and bring people together.

Well, yeah, I guess that I could have clarified that a bit. It isn't about discrimination per se so much as it is about the rejection of discriminatory ideas. "Building bridges on the ocean floor, reaching for the alien shore" puts it nicely, and I'd say that it at least makes up for the "elect each other president" line.

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jun 10 2011, 03:53 AM)
Its such a good song. I wonder why it doesnt appeal to some??

It's my favorite song on the record although the lyrics aren't that great.

I would love to see this song live.

Alex Hendrix would steal the show.

"Animate". As far as I can tell, a few lists of vaguely cool-sounding words and phrases set to music. According to Neil, it has something to do with masculinity and femininity, but even he's pretty vague on the whole thing.

It's a love song.

However, Gilby likes to put in any other random 3 syllable words. For example:

Circumcise me, fladulate me, corrugate me, etc...

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Jun 12 2011, 03:31 PM)

"Animate".  As far as I can tell, a few lists of vaguely cool-sounding words and phrases set to music.  According to Neil, it has something to do with masculinity and femininity, but even he's pretty vague on the whole thing.

It's a love song...

...based on Jung's ideas, and classic masc/fem archetypes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anima_and_animus

I suppose "Totem" could be described as a similar exercise, but with global religious symbolism. The two songs are good examples of Neil's writing that fans love about RUSH, and haters detest.

2.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Jun 12 2011, 05:00 PM)
I suppose "Totem" could be described as a similar exercise, but with global religious symbolism.  The two songs are good examples of Neil's writing that fans love about RUSH, and haters detest.

I'm a fan, but neither song's lyrics impress me one bit. "Animate" at least sounds cool, though; great bass in that one.

Edited by StellarJetman