What does everyone think of Hold Your Fire?

cygnus_thegodofbalance

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jun 9 2011, 09:43 AM)
I think Hold Your Fire is one of the weakest albums. Don't like the thin sound. Thank goodness the PRS era would be approaching soon.

I haven't listened to this album in at least 5 years. I tried to give it another chance a few months ago but gave up after a couple songs. So many better Rush albums to listen to. I doubt I'll ever hear it again. However, I will still listen to the songs randomly if the come up on shuffle on the ipod (just not the whole thing).

I rate it 2nd to last of the catalogue, barely over Presto.

Mission has grown on me over the last 10 years or so. It has probably become my top song on the album.

But would you still be saying this if they took out Superconductor?

In my opinion, Presto is much better than HYF.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 9 2011, 03:54 AM)
It's nice to see other Tai Shan fans coming out of the woodwork biggrin.gif

Please take them and go back to the woodwork

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 9 2011, 12:27 PM)

I'm saying this because, in my opinion, The Pass is the only listenable song off of Presto. HYF at least has Force Ten and Mission.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jun 9 2011, 01:00 PM)

I'm saying this because, in my opinion, The Pass is the only listenable song off of Presto. HYF at least has Force Ten and Mission.

HYF has TSS, Force 10, and Mission

Presto has Presto, The Pass, Chain Lightning, and Anagram.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jun 9 2011, 02:00 PM)

no.gif no.gif no.gif

Presto is 10x better than HYF will ever be. It has a ton of emotion and does a pretty good job of rocking out, too. 1022.gif

On Presto...

Awesome Songs

The Pass

Show Don't Tell

Red Tide

Scars

Presto

War Paint

Pretty Good

Chain Lightning

Hand Over Fist

Superconductor

Available Light

Not so good

Anagram

Wow... Presto looks pretty good to me. Only 1 bad song! yes.gif On a rating of 1-10, I give Presto a 7.5.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 8 2011, 02:57 PM)
Also, Pink Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" was also released that day. Two weeks later, Yes' "Big Generator" was released.

and U2's "Joshua Tree".

1987 also saw the release of Marillion's "Clutching At Straws." ohmy.gif

HYF is a great album, but sounds very dated now. It's funny how the digital synths of PoW and HYF sound SO dated, while the analog synths (and even early digital synths on GUP) have a more timeless quality. Rush, please bring back some Moog or Oberheim on CA. wub.gif

Song-wise, there are some true classics on HYF (FT, TSS, OS, SN, PM, M, TTP), but also the first two Rush songs I was ever dissapointed in (TS and HW).

I think it's interesting that most S&A haters seem to love HYF, probably because it has one of the only two songs (Prime Mover and Mystic Rhythms) where you might convince yourself that Neil was "getting religion" (though I wouldn't interpret the PM lyrics that way).

But I think many also like the overall optimistic tone of HYF, even though it's EXTREMELY cheesey, whereas PoW is optimistic but not QUITE as cheesey. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 9 2011, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jun 9 2011, 02:00 PM)

no.gif no.gif no.gif

Presto is 10x better than HYF will ever be. It has a ton of emotion and does a pretty good job of rocking out, too. 1022.gif

I'm gonna have to agree with apetersvt on this one. I also have somewhat of a soft spot for Chain Lightning, but even then it's not as good as The Pass, and nothing else on Presto really does it for me.

HYF, on the other hand, is 8 BRILLIANT songs and 2 crappy ones.

HYF >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Presto

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 9 2011, 05:21 PM)
I'll put it this way, it's better than Roll The Bones.

That's a good way to put it!

It beats out RtB, VT, and T4E in my book!

I like maybe TWO or three songs on it...tha's it!

Got tired of them playing freaking Force Ten all the time, thankfully they dropped it...it sucks that they brought back Time Stand Still (the absolute WORST tune they ever recorded after Dog Years)

I like Lock and Key and Turn the Page, and Open Secrets.

Same with RtB, I only like Dreamline, and T4E I like DRIVEN! (VY I like Secret Touch...LIVE!)

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 9 2011, 06:35 PM)
Also, Pink Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" was also released that day. Two weeks later, Yes' "Big Generator" was released.

and U2's "Joshua Tree".

HYF is a great album, but sounds very dated now. It's funny how the digital synths of PoW and HYF sound SO dated, while the analog synths (and even early digital synths on GUP) have a more timeless quality. Rush, please bring back some Moog or Oberheim on CA. wub.gif

Song-wise, there are some true classics on HYF (FT, TSS, OS, SN, PM, M, TTP), but also the first two Rush songs I was ever dissapointed in (TS and HW).

I think it's interesting that most S&A haters seem to love HYF, probably because it has one of the only two songs (Prime Mover and Mystic Rhythms) where you might convince yourself that Neil was "getting religion" (though I wouldn't interpret the PM lyrics that way).

But I think many also like the overall optimistic tone of HYF, even though it's EXTREMELY cheesey, whereas PoW is optimistic but not QUITE as cheesey. tongue.gif

Actually I think Power Windows sounds a bit more dated than HyF...I just didn't like HyF's songs that much....

TO add to what YOU quoted originally....I remember when Force Ten came out. I think it was either the same day or same week that the radio stations started playing Learning to Fly by Floyd, and I was just HAPPY that both bands released something...looking back, those are two songs I just can't really listen to anymore. I actually liked MOST of Momentary Lapse of Reason, but just thought LtF was a WEAK tune...as most of HyF ended up being. I just guess I was hungry for new stuff from two of my favorite bands!

Edited by Jaminbenb

I thought it was great too - getting new Rush and new Pink Floyd and Yes. I was getting tired of...

"shot through the heart, and you're too blame, you give love a bad name..."

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jun 8 2011, 10:30 AM)
Loved it when it came out and used to listen to it all the time....years and years ago...but I have not listened to it in easily 20 years and still own it on cassette and vinyl, but not CD.

I loved it so much i bought it on all 3 formats new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 9 2011, 11:35 PM)

and U2's "Joshua Tree".

Clutching at straws is ace!!!

So is HYF 1022.gif

It's been heavy in rotation with the ipod and Grado headphones lately. I think the remaster is a great listening experience. I think it's some of Neil's better writing in terms of his use of words and prose. It's very maturely written. I think every song is well done, outside of Turn the Page, which i think is utter goofiness.... just a quirky, dorky tune IYAM, terrible.... High Water has really grown on me, in terms of the strings and keys, and the drum sound is excellent, along with Geddy ripping it in that one.

I've been listening to Signals and Hold your fire a lot lately. HYF is a standout to me, now.

QUOTE (2112th Man @ Jun 10 2011, 01:38 PM)
It's been heavy in rotation with the ipod and Grado headphones lately. I think the remaster is a great listening experience. I think it's some of Neil's better writing in terms of his use of words and prose. It's very maturely written. I think every song is well done, outside of Turn the Page, which i think is utter goofiness.... just a quirky, dorky tune IYAM, terrible.... High Water has really grown on me, in terms of the strings and keys, and the drum sound is excellent, along with Geddy ripping it in that one.
I've been listening to Signals and Hold your fire a lot lately. HYF is a standout to me, now.

My two favorite albums. But you deserve a horse whippin' for that comment about "Turn the Page". beathorse.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 9 2011, 07:39 PM)
I thought it was great too - getting new Rush and new Pink Floyd and Yes. I was getting tired of...

"shot through the heart, and you're too blame, you give love a bad name..."

OH how TRUE that is!!!!!!

Talk about a musically "inept" period right before that! And like someone else said, Big Generator came out a few weeks later!

It gave us a break from what was stuck on radio! IT wasn't the BEST of those bands, but it was at least a step in the correct direction!