insomnia and other sleep problems

fledgehog

does it take you 3 and a half hours to fall asleep after you go to bed? do you wake up inexplicably every half hour throughout the night? even when you get a full, decent night's sleep, do you still wake up not feeling rested?

...damn, you're as bad as me! tongue.gif

who else has sleep issues?

Aye, I'm terrible at sleeping - it takes me a long time to drift off, and then I usually wake up a few times during the ight. If I stay round someones place I'm normally the last to get to sleep and the first to wake up. It's even worse when I'm sharing a bed with someone else, which is pretty lame tongue.gif

I can't remember the last time I woke up feeling properly refreshed, or not tired in the afternoon or early evening. schla03.gif

It used to take me like an hour to fall asleep. Now I listen to relaxing Rush tunes and it only takes me <15 minutes. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Edited by Tommy Sawyer

I'm a little different because my nerve pain will wake me up and then I'll read for several hours and go back to bed. Sometimes I just wake up and lay there for a while and go back to sleep without getting up, but that is pretty rare sad.gif I do take an herb with Melatonin but it doesn't keep me asleep.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 28 2011, 12:45 PM)
It used to take me like an hour to fall asleep. Now I listen to relaxing Rush tunes and it only takes me <15 minutes. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

listening to music used to help me, but in the past year or so my insomnia's gotten so bad that any noise just keeps me up longer. and the problem with listening to complicated music is that it gets my brain working, which also keeps me awake. the best kind of noise for me to fall asleep to is something monotonous and consistant, like the sound of a fan or rain or something like that.

Have had insomnia for a few years now. I don't know what keeps me up, but I know that my thoughts just race constantly at night for no reason. If I were you OP, I'd listen to ambient music. That's what I've been doing for the past few months and it helps me a lot. Might be worth a try.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ May 28 2011, 04:43 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 28 2011, 12:45 PM)
It used to take me like an hour to fall asleep. Now I listen to relaxing Rush tunes and it only takes me <15 minutes. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

listening to music used to help me, but in the past year or so my insomnia's gotten so bad that any noise just keeps me up longer. and the problem with listening to complicated music is that it gets my brain working, which also keeps me awake. the best kind of noise for me to fall asleep to is something monotonous and consistant, like the sound of a fan or rain or something like that.

I know what you mean. I used to listen to more relaxing music such as Cat Stevens or classical, but that didn't help much. I guess it just depends on the person.

Vodka is a wonderful sleep aid. yes.gif

Within the last year, I've woken up a few times gasping for air. Kinda like when you get the wind knocked out of you, except there is no pain.

I have a feeling that I might have a touch of sleep apnea, which I've learned can lead to some serious side effects. I should probably go see a doc.

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ May 28 2011, 07:30 PM)
Vodka is a wonderful sleep aid. yes.gif

Within the last year, I've woken up a few times gasping for air. Kinda like when you get the wind knocked out of you, except there is no pain.

That happens to me every once in a while too.

I lost a job because of insomnia. There was a time where I'd go to sleep at 10 and still be laying there at 3 in the morning sad.gif Then of course fall asleep about an hour before having to get up, and wake up at 9 o clock with my alarm shut off somehow, and several voice messages from my boss on the phone scared.gif

After bein canned for eight months, I made it a point to get into a solid routine to fall asleep at the same time every night (or at least close to it), not all-night it on weekends like I used to, and turn off my television and everything. You don't really sleep if there's a TV on in the room wink.gif

I've been going to work a bit sharper and more awake for sure. I'm only lucky my boss decided to hire me back laugh.gif But it's been a year and 7 months and I haven't f*cked it up again smile.gif

I've had trouble falling asleep, staying asleep......been woken up by very loud dreams.....my brain won't shut off, and my 50-year old bladder doesn't help much either doh.gif ....... and most of my problems have been self-induced:

This might help:

1. No sugar or caffeine before bedtime.....preferrably long before bedtime. Don't go to bed all revved up on chemical stimulants

2. NO naps during the afternoon: they foul up the sleep cycle

3. Get good physical daily exercise: your tired body will respond with good sleep

It's helped me a LOT.... yes.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ May 28 2011, 10:08 PM)
I've had trouble falling asleep, staying asleep......been woken up by very loud dreams.....my brain won't shut off, and my 50-year old bladder doesn't help much either doh.gif ....... and most of my problems have been self-induced:

This might help:

1. No sugar or caffeine before bedtime.....preferrably long before bedtime. Don't go to bed all revved up on chemical stimulants

3. Get good physical daily exercise: your tired body will respond with good sleep

It's helped me a LOT.... yes.gif

Well I biked 30 miles today, that should help laugh.gif

I gotta say though, my ass is pretty damn sore...

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 28 2011, 09:59 PM)
You don't really sleep if there's a TV on in the room wink.gif

Actually, I sleep with my TV on and it works pretty well for me. I just turn the channel to something boring like The Weather Channel. You can't more boring than the five day forecast for New England tongue.gif .

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ May 28 2011, 09:08 PM)

1. No sugar or caffeine before bedtime.....preferrably long before bedtime.  Don't go to bed all revved up on chemical stimulants

You know, these options are so basic but so many people ignore the obvious.

I have a friend who complains about sleeping problem but he drinks a litre or Mountain Dew EVERY single day. So on top of being amped on sugar and caffeine (4 times as much as coffee) he's getting overweight too!

My wife has had back problems, waking up every morning in pain, so we bought a high quality mattress. OMG, we both sleep through the whole night most of the time and wake feeling much better. Tempurpedic!

I'm only up now as I'm getting ready to go fishing.

Oh, and turn off your TV earlier and read!

Edited by briremo

This reminds me of a great joke.

Three old geezers are sitting on a park bench one day when they start complaining about sleep and health issues.

The first geezer complains, "I wake up at 6 o'clock every morning and gotta take a leak but with this damn swollen prostate of mine I'm standin' there for a half an hour just to take a piss!!!"

The second geezer complains, "You think that's bad...I wake up at 7 o'clock every morning and gotta take a crap, but this damn constipation has me grunting, groaning and pushing 'til I think I'm gonna have a stroke!!!"

The third geezer complains, "Those problems are nothing....Every morning at 6 o'clock I piss like a racehorse....and at 7 o'clock I shit like a pig!!!"

The first two geezer angrily ask, "So what's the problem?!"

"The problem is I don't wake 'til 8!!!" says the third geezer.

My sleep has been messed up for a few months noe but I think it is stress . The day to day crap we deal with can cause this at times. A big fat :smoke:or a nice trink38.gif use to keep me out to the am but I dont any more . Exercise does help I have found.

QUOTE (Oracle @ May 29 2011, 01:58 AM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 28 2011, 09:59 PM)
You don't really sleep if there's a TV on in the room wink.gif

Actually, I sleep with my TV on and it works pretty well for me. I just turn the channel to something boring like The Weather Channel. You can't more boring than the five day forecast for New England tongue.gif .

Oh I used to think that, too! After I started turning the TV off first, I noticed the quality of my sleep improved 3-fold. Even though you're asleep, your brain is still active and picking up whats going on on TV. There were times where I'd dream what was happening on TV while I was asleep wacko.gif

I've been on Ambien for about a year now due to horrible, horrible nightmares and insomnia. While it knocks me out cold, I HAVE to get at least 8 hrs sleep or I'm no good the next day. I've fallen asleep standing up on the days I got less than 8 which is NOT good.

QUOTE (BellaCheval @ May 30 2011, 01:26 AM)
I've been on Ambien for about a year now due to horrible, horrible nightmares and insomnia. While it knocks me out cold, I HAVE to get at least 8 hrs sleep or I'm no good the next day. I've fallen asleep standing up on the days I got less than 8 which is NOT good.

that's one of the biggest reasons that i have avoided seeking sleep medications -- often i only even schedule about 5-7 hours of sleep into my night, let alone actually get it...and so many sleep medications require or force you to be asleep for a certain amount of time, which i just don't have time for, especially during the school year.

i do have a funny story though...one night I took nyquil to get me to sleep...and about 4 hours later, i woke up realizing that i had some laundry to do, so i got out of bed, rubbed my eyes, stumbled down to the laundry room, and did my laundry in my sleep! laugh.gif i even got up an hour later to flip from the washer to the dryer, and an hour after that to take the finished load back upstairs. i wonder what other kinds of productive things i could get done under the influence of sleep meds O_o