Is prog music?

of course it's music. They can play instruments with much technical prowess. C'est magnifique.

tell me about it eyesre4.gif songs that are more than 20 minutes? who even has that kind of attention span? there's no emotional depth to prog music, the lyrics are always bloated science-fiction crap. it's not so much "music" as it is instrumental masturbation. and don't forget, you can't spell horrible without an o and an r, which also both happen to be in the word "prog" wink.gif . Classical, metal, fusion and folk are all better genres because I said so, and my opinion is fact. everyone who disagrees with me is pretentious smile.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ May 24 2011, 07:04 PM)
tell me about it eyesre4.gif songs that are more than 20 minutes? who even has that kind of attention span? there's no emotional depth to prog music, the lyrics are always bloated science-fiction crap. it's not so much "music" as it is instrumental masturbation. and don't forget, you can't spell horrible without an o and an r, which also both happen to be in the word "prog" wink.gif . Classical, metal, fusion and folk are all better genres because I said so, and my opinion is fact. everyone who disagrees with me is pretentious smile.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 24 2011, 10:04 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ May 24 2011, 07:04 PM)
tell me about it eyesre4.gif songs that are more than 20 minutes? who even has that kind of attention span?  there's no emotional depth to prog music, the lyrics are always bloated science-fiction crap.  it's not so much "music" as it is instrumental masturbation.  and don't forget, you can't spell horrible without an o and an r, which also both happen to be in the word "prog" wink.gif .  Classical, metal, fusion and folk are all better genres because I said so, and my opinion is fact.  everyone who disagrees with me is pretentious smile.gif

goodpost.gif

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif common001.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif 653.gif 653.gif cat.gif cat.gif confused13.gif yes.gif bacon.gif bacon.gif bacon.gif bacon.gif bacon.gif bacon.gif

It's total crap.

Especially that Tales From Topographic Oceans rag....if that's music, then I am Donald Duck....

smile.gif smile.gif wink.gif

No, simply because progsnobs remind me of hipsters, and hipsters don't actually listen to music, but instead talk about how obscure and deep it is.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/Xanadu93/twilightumad.jpg

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 24 2011, 10:23 PM)
No, simply because progsnobs remind me of hipsters, and hipsters don't actually listen to music, but instead talk about how obscure and deep it is.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/Xanadu93/twilightumad.jpg

That's a marvelous post laugh.gif

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 24 2011, 08:59 PM)
As far as I can tell it's just a bunch of pretentious wankers with no idea of what a good song is. Discuss.

You get 2 of these............... cool10.gif cool10.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 24 2011, 10:20 PM)
1972 and you're trying to call it the original prog rock? unsure.gif

"In time the album became recognized as one of the most important early progressive rock works, and a defining example of the concept album. "

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 24 2011, 09:59 PM)
As far as I can tell it's just a bunch of pretentious wankers with no idea of what a good song is. Discuss.

This reeks of trolling.

Is Prog music? Did you know Rush is considered Prog?

I supose is too hard to understand music made by real musicians. But, hey, there are a lot of real crap music that surely you like whit nobody asking your opinnion.

So go listen Lady Gaga and let us educated people listen educated music

QUOTE (Akron162 @ May 25 2011, 04:31 PM)
I supose is too hard to understand music made by real musicians. But, hey, there are a lot of real crap music that surely you like whit nobody asking your opinnion.

You do realise this isn't an entirly serious thread, right? wink.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ May 25 2011, 12:01 PM)

He's probably too "educated" to realize it!

Funny story...

I was at the ICA ( the institute of contemporary art ) in Boston a few weeks back. They have a special exhibit on the history of Vinyl and album artwork, and had a panel of 4 discussing it...Daryl from RUN DMC was there, along with a couple of record label guys , and another dude from the Hard Rock Cafe...so this guy starting talking about classic album covers, and mentioned E.L.P's Brain Salad Surgery...and how cool it looked...but THEN..yup..i knew it was coming..he said..

" Yah know, it was just pretencious prog rock, but the album cover was cool " ... eyesre4.gif I just couldn't believe he tossed out the oldest cliche among 70s critics...naturally, he had to mention how amazing David Bowie was..and the Velvet Underground...and the Beatles..yah know...cause NONE of those artists were pretencious...

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 25 2011, 11:08 AM)

I'm not stupid, of course i know this is not serious, and i understand the reasons why people don't like prog rock, but still this kind of comentarys bother me, beeing serious or not.

I don't get the point of pester people on Internet, making fun of serious things.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ May 25 2011, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 25 2011, 11:08 AM)

I'm not stupid, of course i know this is not serious, and i understand the reasons why people don't like prog rock, but still this kind of comentarys bother me, beeing serious or not.

I don't get the point of pester people on Internet, making fun of serious things.

Isn't that the point of the internet? biggrin.gif trink39.gif