The Larger Bowl

LeaveMyThingAlone

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ May 24 2011, 04:00 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ May 24 2011, 05:05 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 24 2011, 05:50 PM)
I love the Larger Bowl... and Roll the Bones.

'Some are blessed and some are cursed'
'Why does it happen? Because it happens.'

My favorite lines from two great songs. 1287.gif

+1 for Larger Bowl

+1 for Roll The Bones

This.

(And love you're signature image, BTW laugh.gif)

1022.gif trink39.gif Add me too...

The song blows Goat, That is all

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ May 25 2011, 09:30 PM)
Had a further think on The Larger Bowl today. Up until his family tragedies, Neil probably agreed with many here that if a situation is bad, we ourselves can do a lot to turn it around. After them, however, he probably felt (and still might) that he'd been put in a situation he was powerless to fix (in full, anyway). He was likely questioning how this happens to some in far greater proportion than to others. While he certainly has done a lot to recover from what happened, the song (to me) speaks to the paralyzing shock that such a situation causes before one can try to move forward (and during the process).

I think it is based on all of the things he has seen while traveling the world and comes from a place where, even though we have tragedy, most have it worse than us.

Edit: And the frustration that the problem(s) won't ever be fixed. The guys came from a generation expecting the world to "come together" and solve a lot of these problems. It must be tough to realize that it is foolish to think people will ever put aside the petty things they fight about to come up with something as seemingly simple as to provide a bowl of rice to a hungry child. A far cry indeed.

Edited by Ancient Ways

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ May 24 2011, 07:57 PM)
I like them both, and in the case of The Larger Bowl, I think it's because I've often wondered about the same things. Now I agree that people like us can do a lot to change our circumstances, but I think he has individuals in mind like people in the middle of a war zone who can't run fast enough to not get shot, or innocent prisoners of corrupt regimes who may never get out, or kids born in such malnutrition/disease that there really is no way they can ever become healthy. In other words, situations that even the worst-off of us can barely relate to, and when we try, don't leave us with much of an answer why, or even what to do about it (though I agree that we should try whatever we DO come up with). That angst is great fuel for a song IMO, and I like what they've done with it musically, as well as the emotional nature of the lyrics.

+1

Emo whiny: well off Westerners complaining about their life

RTB, TLB -- observations of Fate dealing bad hands to 3rd world victims

In other words, there are those who do not have the luxury of even having a fighting chance in their lifetime to better their situation.

I highly doubt Neil is bemoaning medicated Westerners whining about boredom and depression...

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 25 2011, 05:09 PM)
QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ May 24 2011, 06:53 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 24 2011, 05:20 PM)
What? Lyrics are hardly whiny...do you not see the hidden optimism? Part of that optimism has to do with the structure. This song is lyrical genius, yes.gif

Must be very hidden, because I have tried six ways from Sunday to find something to like about them. Just goes on an on about how life's not fair.

Damn straight life's not fair! Get off yer ass and do something about it!

I think what I rubs me the wrong way is this is coming from the man who once wrote: "Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more."

I know, I know...people change over time....blah, blah. I'm a big believer in creating your own future, and this song seems to imply that people don't have control over their lives at all. Just not buying it...sorry.

Like I said before, I am a HUGE fan of Neil's lyrics, so this was rather disappointing for me.

I would love to be able to transport people who believe things like this to a typical third world country with the commensurate change to a lack of education, rights, and freedoms that allow us to achieve what we are able to achieve and that they lack. The average person who lives hand to mouth in these places works much harder than us for much less. The whole "work harder if you want more" attitude is foolish and ignorant.

+1 for truth

Both songs are two of the better ones from what are relatively inferior albums, honestly. The first half of S&A is great than falls short and Roll The Bones is so stiff and unmemorable. I almost never listen to RTB.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Jun 5 2011, 01:20 AM)
Roll The Bones is so stiff and unmemorable.

It also Sucks

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 7 2011, 08:08 PM)

It also Sucks

no.gif Roll the Bones is a good song. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 7 2011, 08:43 PM)

It also Sucks

Other than the rap verse, I actually kind of like it.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 7 2011, 09:52 PM)

It also Sucks

good song, good album, haters to the left<<<<<<<<<-------

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 7 2011, 09:52 PM)

It also Sucks

The rap is really funny. yes.gif Have you watched the video? A rapping skeleton... rofl3.gif

I know it's not the popular choice, but...

I LOVE 'EM BOTH!

Don't get me wrong...I can understand why people might not like the "Rap" section in RTB. But on a personal level, I like it. I always have...I think it works great with the song. They are having fun, and it again shows that the Boys are not afraid to step outside the box, which is part of what makes them 'RUSH'!

As far as The Larger Bowl, I never understood the hate. I think by now, I've made it pretty clear that I love S&A. BUT, when I first listened to the album the whole way through, I was pretty disappointed and honestly, the only song that caught my ear right from the beginning was TLB (and Far Cry of course). The song works well IMO, and the music and lyrics fit perfectly. Plus it includes a nice solo from Al.

Again, just my opinion, but both songs rock! 1022.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 8 2011, 09:10 AM)
I know it's not the popular choice, but...

I LOVE 'EM BOTH!

Don't get me wrong...I can understand why people might not like the "Rap" section in RTB. But on a personal level, I like it. I always have...I think it works great with the song. They are having fun, and it again shows that the Boys are not afraid to step outside the box, which is part of what makes them 'RUSH'!

As far as The Larger Bowl, I never understood the hate. I think by now, I've made it pretty clear that I love S&A. BUT, when I first listened to the album the whole way through, I was pretty disappointed and honestly, the only song that caught my ear right from the beginning was TLB (and Far Cry of course). The song works well IMO, and the music and lyrics fit perfectly. Plus it includes a nice solo from Al.

Again, just my opinion, but both songs rock! 1022.gif

goodpost.gif