Neil's Strongest Album Lyrically

savagegrace26

Which album has the strongest lyrics?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Which album has the strongest lyrics?

• Fly By Night
    • Caress of Steel
    • A Farewell to Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test for Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes & Arrows

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ May 8 2011, 01:11 PM)
I voted MP.  It was extremely tough to pick just one but Red Barchetta, Vital Signs and Witch Craft are three of his lyrical masterpieces.

Witch Craft, I like that one...

Edited by WCFIELDS

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Permanent Waves through Power Windows I think is Neil's peak as a lyricist. Since GUP has the least number of votes I'm picking it.

Of the 70s albums, the best are Caress and 2112 primarily because of the two side long epics. Post-Power Windows I'd say VT.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ May 8 2011, 10:33 PM)
Of the 70s albums, the best are Caress and 2112 primarily because of the two side long epics.

Saying that 2112 is good because of its title track's lyrics is like saying that Vapor Trails is good because of its production.

there are others that could be debated, but but Presto, RTB and CP shouldn't even appear on the poll

at the barest minimum, War Paint, Superconductor, The Big Wheel, Neurotica and Everyday Glory preclude these albums from consideration

that any one of those albums has anything other than a zero for a vote means people are voting for their favorite albums, not the strongest lyrically

that behavior (too common) tends to make these potentially interesting exercises rather pointless

Presto [ 5 ] [8.93%]

^ embarrassing

Roll the Bones [ 0 ] [0.00%]

^ right on

Counterparts [ 1 ] [1.79%]

^ someone's favorite

Test for Echo [ 1 ] [1.79%]

^ same here - a sympathy/joke vote

Vapor Trails [ 3 ] [5.36%]

^ OLV, How It Is, Out Of The Cradle... ooops

Snakes & Arrows [ 2 ] [3.57%]

^ right - you two recall that WTA and Larger Bowl are on this album?

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 9 2011, 09:19 AM)
there are others that could be debated, but but Presto, RTB and CP shouldn't even appear on the poll

at the barest minimum, War Paint, Superconductor, The Big Wheel, Neurotica and Everyday Glory preclude these albums from consideration

that any one of those albums has anything other than a zero for a vote means people are voting for their favorite albums, not the strongest lyrically

that behavior (too common) tends to make these potentially interesting exercises rather pointless

BS. War Paint and Superconductor while not great lyrically are in no way horrible. Chain Lightning, The Pass, Scars, Presto, Red Tide, Available Light, Show Don't Tell lyrics are all excellent (and more than make up for the two you mentioned) and even Anagram and Hand Over Fist work in their own unique way.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ May 9 2011, 01:36 PM)

BS. War Paint and Superconductor while not great lyrically are in no way horrible. Chain Lightning, The Pass, Scars, Presto, Red Tide, Available Light, Show Don't Tell lyrics are all excellent (and more than make up for the two you mentioned) and even Anagram and Hand Over Fist work in their own unique way.

"...boys and girls together, paint the mirror black..."

"...pin the donkeys on her tail, fantasy for sale (that's entertainment)..."

^ sorry, pal - I'm just not seeing "...science, like nature, must also be tamed - with a view towards it's preservation..." caliber lyrics here

Presto can't honestly be part of the discussion

unintentionally you've even supported my point by listing seven other songs from Presto that 'make up for' the weaknesses of WP and Superconductor

honestly discussing a topic titled 'strongest album lyrically' demands that you set aside favoritism and prejudice

there is no similar lyrical weakness (i.e. nothing to 'make up for') on an album like Permanent Waves - even if that was your least favorite album to listen to, it would deserve your vote

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ May 9 2011, 06:36 PM)

I don't really care about lyrics, but Anagram doesn't work in any way, shape or form. All it does is say that NEP doesn't know what an anagram is...

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 9 2011, 06:22 PM)

I don't really care about lyrics, but Anagram doesn't work in any way, shape or form. All it does is say that NEP doesn't know what an anagram is...

Even if the lyrics were among Neil's best (which they're not), the music is so weak and uninspired it would make the lyrics completely moot.

Those pseudo anagrams are kind of interesting to read, but they don't make for good song lyrics. That whole song was completely mailed in. IMO.

(Sorry Pags....it's been a while since my last "Anagram"-bashing post. I was due! laugh.gif )

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 9 2011, 05:29 PM)
QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 9 2011, 06:22 PM)

Even if the lyrics were among Neil's best (which they're not), the music is so weak and uninspired it would make the lyrics completely moot.

Those pseudo anagrams are kind of interesting to read, but they don't make for good song lyrics. That whole song was completely mailed in. IMO.

(Sorry Pags....it's been a while since my last "Anagram"-bashing post. I was due! laugh.gif )

I second that motion

So caught between AFTK, PeW, PoW, Signals, and maybe GUP or HYF.

They all have a song that just kind of fell through, though, imo.

I might've said Hemispheres but I'm not a fan of some of the construction on the title song. Since it takes up half the album.. yeah. No vote from me there.

But are we talking lyrical content or how it's put together, or both? Quality of construction and insightfulness of topic are two completely different things.

Good poll. I thought I would be in a serious minority with Power Windows. Surprise, surprise.

I think Neil was really in his element with Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. Tai Shan and High Water are bad songs because of the other two yahoos not Neil.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 9 2011, 03:33 PM)
QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ May 9 2011, 01:36 PM)

"...boys and girls together, paint the mirror black..."

"...pin the donkeys on her tail, fantasy for sale (that's entertainment)..."

^ sorry, pal - I'm just not seeing "...science, like nature, must also be tamed - with a view towards it's preservation..." caliber lyrics here

Presto can't honestly be part of the discussion

unintentionally you've even supported my point by listing seven other songs from Presto that 'make up for' the weaknesses of WP and Superconductor

honestly discussing a topic titled 'strongest album lyrically' demands that you set aside favoritism and prejudice

there is no similar lyrical weakness (i.e. nothing to 'make up for') on an album like Permanent Waves - even if that was your least favorite album to listen to, it would deserve your vote

Sorry. No "prejudice" here since Permanent Waves is my favorite Rush Album.

Seven out of eleven songs having an excellent set of lyrics is greater than three out of six having excellent lyrics (I consider the lyrics to Jacob's Ladder, Entre Nous, and Different Strings to be NO more than good).

But still, that's a stupid way of looking at it. It's about the whole package here not just quantity. And I consider to Presto to have the strongest overall writing from Peart. Even Superconductor and War Paint have some great lines and I consider them to be both to have good lyrics overall.

Don't accuse me of "prejudice". F**k off.

Edited by savagegrace26

Disagree about Anagram. Neil managed to infuse some meaning into the lyrics. Considering the rules he imposed on himself that is hardly "mailing it in". Edited by savagegrace26

Definately the GUP, PoW, HYF period for me.

GUP and HYF had a few songs that lyrically let down the remainder of a great album (i.e. The Body Electric for GUP).

PoW - simply magic.

I was tempted to say Hold Your Fire because I like the underlying theme of the entire album...

But I went with my favorite album, Permanent Waves. Spirit of Radio, Freewill, and Natural Science are works of genius.